Aaaaarrrgggghhhh (Part Three)... Penske Sticking On Y2K

JZH

• Member Contributer

I had originally thought my tires needed air, and then I thought my rear ride height was a bit too high, but after a few rides I now get a weird symptom to go with the strange handling I've been noticing:

After I get off the bike--maybe a minute later--the rear rises up by itself a cm or two. It seems that the Penske rear shock (with remote res), which I had bought second hand several years ago, is sticking internally or something. Could be out of nitrogen, I suppose? The bike has sat for several years, and tbh, I don't know for sure that the shock was in good shape when I bought it... :mellow:

Any ideas?

Cheers,

I never had a rear shock with a gas reservoir, but I've goofed around with car shocks with nitrogen gas charge in them and the nitrogen did seem to provide some slight pre-load to extend the shock to full extension, but not as much/strong as a shock spring does. Could it be that your spring is a bit too short and what you are seeing is the nitrogen gas extending the shock slightly past the spring length after you get off the bike? Do you have enough static pre-load on the spring? You might also check to see if there might be some binding happening at your shock linkages.

• Member Contributer

I had my dogbone on the lower linkage get tar and debris between it and the mounts... damaged the metal and the seals. I knew my suspension sucked but didn't realize I had the problem, bike was new to me at the time, I discovered it when I did my DMr 929 upgrade. I have pics somewhere of how much damage it caused. Check your linkage.

• Member Contributer

I'd try backing off the rebound adjuster first. If the suspension can move slowly on its own it sounds more like you've got hydraulic lock than stiction. Maybe someone has tampered with the adjuster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I didn't have time to play around with the shock or the linkage before the family arrived, but thanks for the ideas. I will have some things to try out when I next get back to California.

Cheers,

Archived