Aaaaarrrgggghhhh... No Left Turn Signals On Y2K

JZH

• Member Contributer

So, I finally have some time to ride my US-based VFR and I've got no left turn signals whatsoever. Right side is fine, relay clicks, normal speed flashing front and back, but the flasher relay doesn't even click on the LHS.

My first thought was a dirty switch, but cleaning it had no effect (I took it apart, cleaned out and replaced the grease). I unplugged the rear wiring, but that had no effect (front still dead as well). The indicator in the dash is also dead.

It can't be a short, or the fuse would have blown and the RHS wouldn't work.

So, there must be a broken wire somewhere between the switch and the source, right?

Or, perhaps this is related to the dreaded instrument panel flexible circuit board?

It looks like I'll have to pull the top fairing...

Any ideas?

Cheers,

• Member Contributer

If it's the one with the Torocharger, I'm afraid the whole bike is toast -- common failure mode. On the plus side, I'd be glad to haul away the carcass for a small sum.

Left running lights work? If no, it's likely the ground. If yes,I'd start with the simplest (e.g., easiest to get at) things first. Good luck!

If it's the one with the Torocharger, I'm afraid the whole bike is toast -- common failure mode. On the plus side, I'd be glad to haul away the carcass for a small sum.

Left running lights work? If no, it's likely the ground. If yes,I'd start with the simplest (e.g., easiest to get at) things first. Good luck!

I was going to say the same thing. LOL

• Member Contributer

Use handsignals?

Stop procrastinating and get RIDING! :goofy:

And oh yeah

:worthlesswithoutpics:

• Member Contributer

Hand signals, thanks... :sad:

I've swapped bulbs, but all three being out at the same time (front, rear and indicator lamp) would seem unlikely. Front running light works.

Looking at the wiring diagram, all I can think of that would account for the symptoms is a broken wire somewhere between the switch and the split(s) where the orange wire goes towards the instrument panel and to the front and rear. Or the switch itself is--despite my valiant cleaning efforts--not working properly. And the wild card is the instrument panel pc board itself: I don't know where the aforementioned splits occur, so if they're all located on that board, that could account for the symptoms as well. Accordingly, my only options would appear to be putting the top fairing and tracing the orange wire--or hand signals...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Okay, who had money on the switch? :wink:

Before I had a chance to pull the top cowl (fortunately) I resorted to manhandling the turn signal switch and got a few flashes. Sure enough, I can now see that if I force it left enough it works, but it requires so much force I can hardly use the clutch! Good thing I have a Euro-spec LHS switch (with "passing" button) ready to go, but at least I know that my pulling the top fairing won't be in vain when I do manage to swap the switch pods.

So, I'm on the road again! :cheerleader:

Ciao,

Archived