Vfr Engine Restriction, How Made?

keny

For some markets the VFR has less power than it should, specally the Japanese market bikes.

I wounder how are they restricted? How easy to make back to full power?

For the VFR400 I have been reading of different cdi units. How about other models?

Most intrested in the 1986-89 models (RC24) but later also free to discuss if you know.

• Member Contributer

RC24 is a 750 not likely to be restricted anywhere except Japan, where they had a 75hp limit. As the RC24 is a carbed model, it will either have smaller carbs, small exhaust header diameter or a restriction in the carb intake or exhaust header to reduce their flow rate, or a combination of both, &/or an reduced intake port on the airbox.

the other option is a reprogrammed CDi with a lower rev limit, but unlikely to have different ignition timing as they had more stringent emmissions laws than most of the rest of the world at that time.

Thansk guys!

For the 400 I have also been reading it has a eye in the speedometer that cut the ignission to restrict the top speed.

From what I been reading, the RC24 had 77hp, not 75hp for the Japanese market (ditto that its 77PS that is same as 75HP!). I also find 98hp versions on the German market of the RC24

• Member Contributer

You would need to get your hands on the Parts Catalogue for the European models, as well as the ones for the US and Japanese models. Some of these are probably available online, but maybe not all. Sorry, I never collected anything relating to the RC24. Good luck.

Ciao,

I have got information the Japanese RC24 has a different airfilterbox snorkel to restrict power, and a optical sensor in the odo to cut ignition partly and restrict top speed to 180km/h

Archived