Tested 12 Bridgestone T30S This Year

kebrider

• Member Contributer

At the beginning of the riding season this year I decided to change things up and experiment with a larger Sport Tourer (06 ST1300) and a more mellow play bike (13 NC700x). Gone are the VFR and Versys. When I bought the ST it had Michelin PR2s which kept the rims from getting denting and allowed me to run a decent pace in the mountains. In the last 6 months I have logged 10,700 miles on the ST and the only tire other than the PR2 I have used is the Bridgestone T30. 6 of them in fact, 2 fronts and 4 rears, all GT models designed for heavier rigs.

I pretty much rode the ST like I did the VFR. Mountain roads with lots of Dragon runs to Deals Gap. The ST is slower through the hills than the VFR but it is plenty fast. The first rear T30 lasted 2,564 miles with the front lasting 4,354 miles. The first rear had plenty of center tread left but was to the wear bars on the shoulders. The front was evenly worn for the most part but slightly more worn on the shoulders. The front could have gone another 1K but I took a trip to Canada so I changed it out early.

The second front has 4,809 miles and looks perfect after the tour to New England and Canada via every mountain road we could find in the Appalachians from TN to ME. The third rear was just changed at 4,809 miles with even wear to the wear bars all the way around the tire. Probably could have gone another ~1K if I wanted to stretch the life but I ride too quickly in the mountains to not have complete trust in my tires.

The NC has 9.400 miles on it already and I bought the bike brand new in March so it has been ridden as well. I ride every weekend and lots of week days so the miles add up. My only set of T30s I had on the NC lasted 3,750 miles and they were installed before I did a full suspension upgrade to the bike. I rode the bike fairly hard but now I run it very hard and my last set of Metzlers only lasted 1,740 miles. Absolute proof that horsepower is not required to kill tires. I have some Q3s on the NC right now which have ridiculous grip but when I am done being a total jerk with the Dunlops I am going back to T30s on the NC.

The T30s remind me of the S20s. Great steering feel, great grip and no serious loss of steering precision and feel from new to completely worn. The ST1300 is a 700+ pound bike and with the Michelins I felt all the weight in the twisties but with the T30s the bike was transformed beyond description. With the T30s the ST turns tight and steers light in the most technical mountain sections I ride.

We have had 4 T30s on the Tiger 800 without ever wearing out a front (7,500 miles, changed only for the trip) and 4K from the rear (only changed out because we took a trip down south back in July. The current set has 4,700 miles on them and the front looks new and the rear looks half worn. The Tiger was much easier on the tires on the Canada trip with The Girl driving.

Summary...The front T30GT is the best wearing front tire I have ever used and it has great grip and great steering feel. The rear T30s don't have the longevity but they last better than average and stick great. Can't beat the T30 prices either (Jake Wilson). My take is they are the best bang-for-the-buck ST tire out there. We had a PR4 rear on the Tiger that looks like it may last longer so I will do the cost/mile thing when we finally wear out the current T30 and get the PR4 back on. The PR4 rear costs about $80 (~65%) more than the same size rear T30. Be hard for the PR4 to last 65% longer than the T30.

One last thing is the T30GT is the toughest tire to mount I have ever installed. The ST has a shallow rear wheel which makes it tough with any tire. If I cannot get the rear tire heated in the sun then the amount of force required to install the tire is quadrupled. Minor inconvenience considering just how good the tires are but if you don't have a premium tire changer set-up don't get these tires.

KEB

• Member Contributer

What a bunch of Crap!!! Who is this guy???

LOL Thanks as usual Keb.

Quick question, have you done the full suspension upgrade on the ST too and when if Yes?

Thx

+1 Never heard of him .

• Member Contributer

So, T30 or Angel GT?

I have only run one set of AGTs but numerous T30s. They are similar in many respects but I really like the the stiff sidewall tires that Bridgestone makes and they have decent wet grip. The AGTs are better in the wet when new but it seemed to slip a bit when worn.

What a bunch of Crap!!! Who is this guy???

LOL Thanks as usual Keb.

Quick question, have you done the full suspension upgrade on the ST too and when if Yes?

Thx

I am doing the Traxxion upgrade this winter. I just did a 5,000 mile, mostly mountain roads, 2 week tour on the ST. From Canada to TN the ST was incredibly fun in any riding environment. The stock suspension isn't awful for sure. The bike has exceeded my expectations in every way. Great fun.

KEB

So, T30 or Angel GT?

I have only run one set of AGTs but numerous T30s. They are similar in many respects but I really like the the stiff sidewall tires that Bridgestone makes and they have decent wet grip. The AGTs are better in the wet when new but it seemed to slip a bit when worn.

Well, that is good to know. I still have a set of the AGT's on the shelf, but ordered a set of the T30's on Friday with the $40 off gift card offer. I was thinking about picking up 2 sets, but wasn't sure if I would like them that much or not. Sounds like I will!

• Member Contributer
when I am done being a total jerk.

You're kidding, right? ^^^

The Q3s make PR2s feel like riding on wet plastic bags by comparison. Good thing I just bought some T30s for the VFR. Not the GT version, though. I prefer to keep my spine in working order during the mounting process (that's what she said). The non GT variation was torturous enough.

• Member Contributer

The Q3s are stupid grippy. On a run yesterday I lifted both wheels when I touched down the exhaust header and heat shield. With the suspension on firm. And I still have chicken strips. Love the extra rubber on the Q series Dunlops.

• Member Contributer

The Q3s are stupid grippy. On a run yesterday I lifted both wheels when I touched down the exhaust header and heat shield. With the suspension on firm. And I still have chicken strips. Love the extra rubber on the Q series Dunlops.

Sounds like you need newer new suspension with more ground clearance.

Q2 rear lasted me 1600 miles, hopw the 3 get at least double that!

You should get close. On the K bike, the Q2 rear lasted maybe 1200 miles and a good portion of the end of that was highway nursing it home. The last Q3 rear went about 2200 miles and the front about 3K. They maintain wicked grip all the way to the end. Might lose my "tire a day" moniker at this rate. Just like the goofball who started this thread, lots of shenanigans per mile.

Time to test out the T30s tomorrow on the VFR and decide if I will buy a second set!

I never got more than 2700 mi out of q2 rears on my 600RR, by which point the front was so pyramidid that turn in was spooky. Not too trusty in the wet, either. I would expect less than 2000 on the Viffer- even PR2 rears would be done at 3000 on my '03.

My mechanic (an experienced racer and WERA tech) talked me out of Q3's in favor of my 4th set of S20's on that bike, because of track issues he has seen this past season with the Q3's.

800 miles in and there's no visible shape change yet on my PR4's on the RC79, using shadow graphic photos to check (1000 lumen LED light at a fixed position to cast a shadow onto graph paper to look for contour change). I do like them some lots.

• Member Contributer

I never got more than 2700 mi out of q2 rears on my 600RR, by which point the front was so pyramidid that turn in was spooky. Not too trusty in the wet, either. I would expect less than 2000 on the Viffer- even PR2 rears would be done at 3000 on my '03.

My mechanic (an experienced racer and WERA tech) talked me out of Q3's in favor of my 4th set of S20's on that bike, because of track issues he has seen this past season with the Q3's.

800 miles in and there's no visible shape change yet on my PR4's on the RC79, using shadow graphic photos to check (1000 lumen LED light at a fixed position to cast a shadow onto graph paper to look for contour change). I do like them some lots.

Track issues? ire failures or wear problems?

• Member Contributer

Track issues? ire failures or wear problems?

My Q3s would glide over sharp rocks that left gashes in the tread, but never punctured all the way through. The Q3s were also a neutral tire that seemed to tolerate triangulation from sport riding very well.

I have not ridden the S20s yet and probably won't unless they have a sale since mileage seems to be on the low side. I am interested in the PR4s but will wait for a sale or when I am out of tires (I have around 5 sets in the basement as it is). Michelins in general seem to have a sharper profile even when new and triangulate much faster than other manufacturers. I had a similar experience on PPs, PR2s, and PP3s. Looking forward to the report on the PR4s!

The VFR ride with T30s was sublime. You are right, Kimball, such a neutral steering tire. Did spin up the rear getting on the highway in a light mist, but under reasonable riding tactics stuck like glue. Allowed me to fine tune the stock suspension, too. Not awful, but I am about to talk to Traxxion today and place my order for AK20s and Penske shock. Going to need some new knee pucks soon...

Archived