It's A New Battery...

JeffInFranklinTN

• Member Contributer

Purchased a new auto craft AGM battery the weekend of Aug.15th replacing a battery that was less than two years old. Checked the output of the reg/rec all was good. Rode to NC and back that same weekend with no problems. Last night, after replacing coolant hoses, t-stat etc, (see isolator boots topic) everything back together, turned the key on and the dash lights barely lit up. I then hooked up a 1 amp motorcycle battery charger but it would quit charging when it reached 8 volts. Well great my charger is on the fritz. So I bought a new charger and the same thing, would quit charging at 8 volts. Obviously the battery has a dead short.

Is this just a fluke or is there a charging system problem that caused this with both batteries?

One thing I have noticed at night is that headlights get brighter when the engine rpm's are above idle speed. Don't recall this happening before.

• Member Contributer

Probably a fluke . Any warranty left on the 2 year old battery?

Well I got that batteery through an amazon sale at a great price. Too much of a Hassel to return it. IMHO.

Batteries seem to be hit or miss sometimes. My first Yuasa I got 5 years out of. I replaced it with one from Advance Auto and it lasted a year and 8 days (came with a 1 year warranty). I went back to a Yuasa and got another 4.5 years out of it. I've had a MOTY (12 cell) battery in there for the past 2 years and so far it has been alright.

When they fail, they seem to just stop. At least my first two did. I started the bike, rode it for a while, stopped for gas or something and it wouldn't restart. The one time I bump started it and got it home.

• Member Contributer

Bad batteries happen regardless of type or brand. That's why I pay a little more at a nationwide chain with a good return policy. That way when I get a bad one I can swap it out at the nearest store, and keep on riding.

• Member Contributer

One thing I have noticed at night is that headlights get brighter when the engine rpm's are above idle speed. Don't recall this happening before.

Headlights get brighter? Maybe the instrument lights too. -- Recheck the R/R at 5k revs. Sometimes if it is letting higher volts over spec, lights will get brighter. You may as well test the stator too. Pin to pin, ohms, Each pin to ground, and pin to pin AC volts.

• Member Contributer

Headlights get brighter? Maybe the instrument lights too. -- Recheck the R/R at 5k revs. Sometimes if it is letting higher volts over spec, lights will get brighter. You may as well test the stator too. Pin to pin, ohms, Each pin to ground, and pin to pin AC volts.
Yes, I am going to do just that.

Samsung Droid Charge

Took the auto craft battery back to advance auto for a free exchange. :D Will check the entire charging system once I get it running.

Samsung Droid Charge

Archived