Tank Skins Or.....

rigger4343

Hey everyone! Saw the picture on the top of the website today with the tank skins on the silver VFR and it got me to thinking......

When I got to cleaning my bike up after that 4 day weekend trip we took last month, I discovered that my pants had put some pretty good scratches in the tank around the knee area. Not sure if it was from only the pants or maybe something dirty had just gotten there and rubbed for a while. I can probably buff them out but being she is a black bike, I want to be careful with that one. (seen some people mess up black really fast with a buffer)

Anyway, point to story is.... I was thinking of maybe some sort of a tank skin to lay on the sides of the tank to protect it for in the future. The bike is black and is pretty near scratch free, I would like to keep it that way as long as possible.

I found some that look to be just like the ones on the silver bike on the main page right now but I am not sure if I want something that looks thick and with a lot of grip. I was thinking of maybe something thin and smooth. Or maybe even a tank bra but I don't really like the idea of a tank bra. What have you guys tried? Any pros or cons to one or the other?

Or should I just say to hell with it and not worry at all. Just ride on as she is.

I have a tank bra, but too can scratch, so keep it clean. The grip pads on the side of the tank actually help you as you can grip with your knees. I am going to get some. The tank bra is slippery and it makes the bike harder to ride.

Honda makes a pretty nice OEM tank protector..... they have pads for sides of tank as well... part of their ST line of accessories

I chose the ST1300 stock side and rear tank pads. they've been on 4 years and still look great.

5747308662_4efee72d19_z.jpg

I use the "Tankslapper" clear film on all my bikes. Inexpensive, very good quality, easy to clean, and cheap to replace when you feel like a "freshen-up."

Over 13,000 miles on my main ride without a single scratch on the tank.

I looked at the Tankslapper site and I see they have a kit listed that says "Tank Protector" . Its only $15.95. They don't have any pictures, is that the kit that would cover the sides of the tank? If I put something on the tank, I just want to protect the sides of the tank where my knees would be rubbing. I already have a decent tank protector on it now.

But if that is the kit and it does a nice job and looks good too, for only $16.00, that seems hard to beat.

I just noticed they have the upgrades for the 3M on the site. Is the regular one good enough or should I up-grade it to the 3M ?

I just posted a reply in another thread about TechSpec tank grips. Great product. You can purchase pre-cut shapes or get blank sheets and make your own!

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/79124-techspec-tank-pads-or-similar/?p=966057

PB060605.JPG

• Member Contributer

I looked at the Tankslapper site and I see they have a kit listed that says "Tank Protector" . Its only $15.95. They don't have any pictures, is that the kit that would cover the sides of the tank? If I put something on the tank, I just want to protect the sides of the tank where my knees would be rubbing. I already have a decent tank protector on it now.

But if that is the kit and it does a nice job and looks good too, for only $16.00, that seems hard to beat.

I just noticed they have the upgrades for the 3M on the site. Is the regular one good enough or should I up-grade it to the 3M ?

3M products are always worth a few extra dollars.

Got the skins in yesterday. Put them on tonight. I only did the ones on the side since I already have a nice tank protector on the center of the tank.

Whole project from start to finish..... 5 minutes !

I wanted to get them on tonight since I figure they will need a day or two to dry out and stick good. I cant even see them on the tank which is something that I like.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Archived