Chain Differences/preferences

TNRabbit

What's the difference between X-ring, O-ring & Z-ring chains? Can anyone provide a link to a primer on chains? I've searched but found a lot of crap trying to sell me a chain, very little info about the differences & preferred chain....

I'm trying to research in prep for a new chain probably next riding season. Also, DID seems to be the most often recommended chain. Has anyone found an online source for chain/sprocket kits that is heads above the others?

zrings are crap avoid, xrings offer less heat build up over orings, this matters if you run a lot of high speed. DID zvm 530, you will not find anything better in longevity, and oem sprockets can not be beat longevity wise,with the kits expect a compromise.

• Member Contributer

i was very pleased with my experience with sprocketcenter.com. You choose a kit for your bike and they give you the proper length chain. The kit includes chain, sprockets, and a rivet-type master link. You will need a tool to install the master link. You might want to consider going to 45 teeth on the rear (OEM is 43). Anyway, IIRC the 5th gen chain is 108 links, but I could be wrong.

zrings are crap avoid, xrings offer less heat build up over orings, this matters if you run a lot of high speed. DID zvm 530, you will not find anything better in longevity, and oem sprockets can not be beat longevity wise,with the kits expect a compromise.

DID ZVM 530 from sprocket center is the way to go

• Member Contributer

I use the cheaper DID chain, just the regular X-ring. I got 19,300 miles out of the OEM chain. When I changed the chain, I didn't change the sprockets and have gotten over 19,000 miles out of the chain so far. I did change to a 45-tooth rear sprocket about 3,000 miles ago. I also replumbed the Hawke oiler so it's working again. I may pull the countershaft sprocket cover and check the condition of the sprocket when I put on a new chain, haven't decided yet. I have the new chain on hand so I probably will be putting it on shortly. I usually wait until the chain needs adjusting, showing that it's getting to the end of its life, but I haven't had to adjust it yet.

I think for the lower horsepower/torque of the VFR's the standard X-ring chain will work very well. But that's just my opinion.

Archived