New 5Th Gen Vfr Need Recommendation On Cover And Locks

napcool

Hi Guys,

I just got my 98 VFR today and it was an awesome ride home. I have been browsing and was hoping if y'all had any recomendation on cover and disc locks. I live in Atlanta and unfortunately I don't have a garage so I have to park outside under the House patio on concrete.

I need something that is reliable and cheap. I am not sure what size locks I need to get. But I have been browsing on craigslist if something cheap and used appears. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Nap

• Member Contributer

Congrats on the '98! The last generation of the gear-driven goodness.

I've used the CycleGear Deluxe cover w/ no complaints, though my bikes are stored in the garage. Can't beat it for the price ($40 when on sale), and it appears to be sturdy with a waterproof treatment to the underside of the cover. There's a CycleGear near Smyrna.

I recommend something a little more noticeable than a disc lock. Like a chain around a pole or something. I have seen videos of guys grabbing a bike off the street and stuffing it in a van if you can believe that!

• Member Contributer

+1 on chaining it. Also, get a brightly very brightly colored disk lock and use on the rear disk. Thieves will drop your front wheel & swap faster than a TT pit crew if they want your bike

Thanks guys for the useful tip....I will be making a trip to cycle-gear in smyrna this weekend....I hope to get a discount due to the MSF course.

I have a friend that will be giving me his disk lock once he locates it. I initially thought of putting it in the front gear...Thanks Rush for the useful tip. I will also keep on a look out for chains.

What do y'all think about covers from ebay. Is there a big difference in quality between DOWCO, cycle gear and the ones from ebay??

• Member Contributer

The rear wheel seems pretty easy to remove also; I can remove my rear tire in much less time than the front wheel.

• Member Contributer

Ive bought the Cycle Gear covers when they go on sale. Paid $20 (ea) and bought 2 of them, although I don't use them daily outside so I can't say how long they will last under the sun, rain, etc., but they do a good job of covering the bike up so you don't know what make/model it is underneath. As far as locks go, a while back there was a post that had a link to a "reddit" post from and ex-motorcycle thief, it had some great info on what to do to help keep your bike from being an easy target. Most thieves go for the "low hanging fruit" so by putting some deterrents in place and making it more difficult to grab will definitely help. I'll see if I can find the link I was referring to and relink it here.

Oh, and Welcome Aboard! Congrats on your new (to you) ride!

• Member Contributer

The rear wheel seems pretty easy to remove also; I can remove my rear tire in much less time than the front wheel.

Does your VFR brake disk come off with your rear wheel? :blush:

For Pros it's faster to drop and swap the front.... (see below)

Ive bought the Cycle Gear covers when they go on sale. Paid $20 (ea) and bought 2 of them, although I don't use them daily outside so I can't say how long they will last under the sun, rain, etc., but they do a good job of covering the bike up so you don't know what make/model it is underneath. As far as locks go, a while back there was a post that had a link to a "reddit" post from and ex-motorcycle thief, it had some great info on what to do to help keep your bike from being an easy target. Most thieves go for the "low hanging fruit" so by putting some deterrents in place and making it more difficult to grab will definitely help. I'll see if I can find the link I was referring to and relink it here.

Oh, and Welcome Aboard! Congrats on your new (to you) ride!

+1, that's where I learned about not putting a disk lock on the front wheel... straight from the thief's mouth... well, ex-thief and I'm glad he is turning his life around while sharing his insight with the rest of us

Archived