Abs Model - Removing Rear Pegs- What To Do With Shock Adjuster?

NCSam

• Member Contributer

If you remove the rear pegs, the rear shock adjuster is just hanging - nothing to attach it to.

Wife doesn't ride so I want to set the bike up solo using rear seat cowl and removing rear pegs!

Hopefully there is another ABS owner that has done this and came up with a fix.

• Member Contributer

Two common paths, either purchase a spare rear peg bracket for that side and take a band saw/hack saw/grinder/file to the worst of the two parts so that you still have the bracket base to mount the preload adjuster to or fab a simple bracket from a flat piece of aluminum.

If you go the first route you may want to find a spare rear bracket for the left side as well so that you can keep the handle that helps put the bike on the center stand...

• Member Contributer

Nothing is necessary! Here's a photo of my bike without the rear pegs (sorry, but I put them on when I bought hard bags, and I replaced the shock with a Penske, so I can't take more photos). There is a spot for the adjuster:

xs3y2Se.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks everyone. You gave me an idea. Used one of the original peg mount holes. Drilled out one of the holes in the adjuster bracket a little so the OEM bolt would pass through. Used some blue locktite, tightened it down good. Wedged my trickle charger connector behind the flange and it is held tight. All is good to go.

The old English proverb works; "Necessity is the mother of invention"!

post-29854-0-85966800-1401651301.jpg

Exactly as CornerCarver says - I went down the 'get some spares off ebay and cut them down' route. I always use the left handle to lift the bike onto the stand so I kept the handle section both sides and hacksawed off the hangers, filed down, sanded, resprayed and refitted. While I was doing that I also shortened the rear fender and replaced the reflector with one on the registration plate light unit. Makes the whole rear end a lot neater.

And yes, my American friends, that huge great yellow thing is a standard-size UK plate dictated by the minimum legal size for the letters and numbers on it, and the police are very keen on fining people who use smaller ones!

Newbackend_2_zpsbe74d39c.jpg

Newbackend_1_zps0a143d09.jpg

Being too lazy to fabricate something new and better, I was able to use one of the existing bolts to mount mine on the hangar for the rear peg.

post-30144-0-91532500-1402069344.jpg

• 1 month later...

I know this thread was from a little while ago, however I thought I'd post how I tucked my preload adjustment under my seat.

All I did was unbolt the unit from the rear peg, then unbolt the adjuster itself from the bracket used to mount the adjuster to the peg, then I removed the first rear fairing bolt on that side so I could get the hose up and under the seat. This way its not visible from the outside, but still accessible when you need it.

photo 3

photo 2

Archived