Got "screwed" By Powerlet :-)

Dutchy

• Member Contributer

My Garmin was no longer charging, using a Powerlet socket+cable (mini USB).

Checked the socket, it gave juice.

took the cable+plug and heard something ratlling inside the male plug.

Inside, there are 2 terminals (black and red); the screw for the red one was loose, the black one had worked its way out completely.

Black wire no longer making contact..

It is not that I ride a Harley that vibrates like hell, so you folks that have plugs like these.... better check your screws too!!!  :goofy:

IMAG2988-1-1.jpg

post-8974-0-60043300-1400497782.jpg

• Member Contributer

This happened to me too, Dutchy. Both my phone charger and GPS cable.

• Member Contributer

Getting ready for TMac ?

:goofy:

Big Mac more likely................ :beer:

On mine the whole female port just came out when removing the usb cable. I sent them pics and they promised to send out a new (apparently improved) unit. This was some 6 months ago at least. Since then the sales rep I was in correspondence with "left the company" and the owner put someone else on the case. Months later I sent him a reminder and they said they were having trouble keeping up with demand. He put someone else on the case and they claimed they had issued an order in my name., again months later I asked if I should consider my money down the drain and just move on.. they said they just got back on top of demand and would issue forthwith.. That must have been a couple of months ago again...

Never had this problem before with powerlet but it is trying my patience. Figured I wouldn't say anything on the forums but seeing others have qualms as well maybe they should start to hear the news on the grapevine.

I should mention in their favour that they don't require me to send back the faulty unit from Europe as that would cost me money. But it would seem they are attending to new orders before mine and never have enough stock.

• Member Contributer

Powerlet do respond promptly to customers (and not require to send stuff back from Europa).

But I already posted my story previously with respect to the heated gloves. (blistering my skin)

The cable+plug that hooks up to the battery had a flaw as well; the little cap snapped off easily. Here too they said they would get me an improved version because they were aware of the problem. They sent me an identical though..... to which they said that they only fixed the problem on the cables supplied with the jackets..

Now finding that the terminals work their way loose makes me scratch my head.

I checked the BMW cable+plug I have (similar male plug as Powerlet, female to accept a "sigarette lighter style plug). There the wires are soldered on the terminals.

Well I do feel I should ECU my words a little as guess what? The little fugger just showed up in the mail just now.

Of course it has still been a very long wait being out of rocket and not being able to use the item I have already paid for long time ago in Bethlehem.

e6evaju3.jpg

Archived