Dot5 For Clutch?

tomk1960

• Member Contributer

I first put DOT 5 silicone brake fluid in my FJ about 15 years ago. I've had no leaks, and brakes and clutch work fine. Maybe I just got lucky,

but that is my experience. I never changed any of the seals before I went to silicone fluid, just flushed things as well as I could.

• Member Contributer

I first put DOT 5 silicone brake fluid in my FJ about 15 years ago. I've had no leaks, and brakes and clutch work fine. Maybe I just got lucky,

but that is my experience. I never changed any of the seals before I went to silicone fluid, just flushed things as well as I could.

no you didnt get lucky..

well maybe for the lines.

here ths thing the dot 3/4 as people keep pointing out.. absorbs moister.. meaning it also shrinks rubber seals.. silicon will counter that effect when mixed by mistake with dot 3/4 making the seals expand to far and making hoses rubbery... thus effecting the power of the brakes

• Member Contributer

If you mix silicone fluid with DOT 3/4 fluid you have a serious situation. The result is a semi-viscous mess that can really screw up things.

It didn't happen to me but I did get some silicone fluid mixed in with DOT 3/4 in a container and ended up with lumps of nasty stuff on the

bottom. I don't know what would happen if that occurred in brake lines/calipers, but it couldn't be good.

• Member Contributer

If you mix silicone fluid with DOT 3/4 fluid you have a serious situation. The result is a semi-viscous mess that can really screw up things.

It didn't happen to me but I did get some silicone fluid mixed in with DOT 3/4 in a container and ended up with lumps of nasty stuff on the

bottom. I don't know what would happen if that occurred in brake lines/calipers, but it couldn't be good.

yes. but its NOT instant. in fact it can take months .,

whats happens sooner is the chem reaction to the lines and seals. :wink:

• Member Contributer

"Protecting the paint" sounds like a bizarre reason to switch brake fluids. The only time I've ever damaged anything with brake fluid was when I tried to blow out some caliper pistons with compressed air--never tried that again!

Ciao,

you never had a $20,000 paint job

and dot 3 or 4 will leave stains and eventually destroy the area it keeps dripping on.. as the poster says his bike weeps it..

Oh, I dunno...maybe I'd just fix the bloody leak? :unsure:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

"Protecting the paint" sounds like a bizarre reason to switch brake fluids. The only time I've ever damaged anything with brake fluid was when I tried to blow out some caliper pistons with compressed air--never tried that again!

Ciao,

and dot 3 or 4 will leave stains and eventually destroy the area it keeps dripping on.. as the poster says his bike weeps it..

Ciao,

yep and when you change the fluid and miss a rop..( god forbid).. and it screws up your perfect NR750, dont blame me. :wink:

• Member Contributer

Ciao,

Ciao,

yep and when you change the fluid and miss a rop..( god forbid).. and it screws up your perfect NR750, dont blame me. :wink:

You got me. Okay, if I ever get an NR, yes I will switch to sillycone brake fluid... :happy:

Ciao,

Archived