07 Electrical Problems

landlover

• Member Contributer

Hi, have the VFRness installed on a 2007 VFR800A. This question was asked a few years ago and did a quick search of posts that I have made and it can not be found. Have read a few times that the electrical gremlins are far and few in between after year 2006. Do you agree with that and what would you do to strengthen the electrical system in this bike. Do not want to broke down fifty miles from a phone. Reliability is priceless to me. The only other thing I can think of is a voltmeter. If the numbers start to change, for example between four and five thousand R.P.M it would usually read 14.1 and then all of sudden it drops down to 13.7, something is not right in the charging system. That is what a voltmeter is for right? Thank you.

• Member Contributer

Voltmeter is good but remember the condition battery will affect the reading of the voltmeter. I have a meter on mine and sometimes I see 13.5 and then the battery charges up and it goes back to 14.1Vdc. And 06 should have the electrical problem that the first run of 6th gens had .

Yeah, the volt meter gives a heads up before complete failure of the stator, Honda continued to improve the (other wiring) all the way into 2009, the 09 has a couple of water proof connectors my 06 doesn't have.

• Member Contributer

what would you do to strengthen the electrical system in this bike.

Apply Oxgard to the connectors, fuses and grounds - helps keep corrosion at bay. As the connectors oxidize they build up resistance which ends badly. It's cheap insurance and available at most home centers or hardware stores

51t5-zAnMAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Archived