I Need Some Ignition Help...

makenzie71

I picked up a '98 800 from a police auction...no keys. Will this model require me to wire in a resistor to bypass the ignition switch? I need to see if the thing will run at all before I can decide exactly what I'm going to do with it.

• Member Contributer

you should be able to remove ignition switch ,seperate it from key part and use a screwdriver to turn on the ignition getting it to run or hopefully run .Also on the back of the switch you will find a code from which a key can be cut .

I've just taken apart my ignition on my 99 to swap out the barrell part for one I got from ebay. I had to space the 2 parts with washers to get it to turn properly, and again when fitting back to the bike with washers to get the steering lock to engage.

The good news is the 98-99 dont have HISS, so its just a matter of getting keys cut or fitting a new ignition.

Yeah I knew which wires needed to be jumped, but there's usually a theft prevention in the ignition that prevents that. On a lot of bikes you have to add a resistor...100ohm with an EX500 for example...to get it to work.

And wow that was easy. With a hammer and a good screwdriver I can start any '98 VFR800. That's almost disconcerting.

• 4 weeks later...

I just removed/reinstalled my ignition switch last night. Simple swap, though it does involve removing the headlight cowl. Considering your screwdriver/hammer experience, I'll be using the disc lock every time I park from now on..

• 5 months later...

Alright sorry to bump a very old thread BUT...I decided to use this motor in my minibuggy (the bike really was garbage). But, somewhere along the way I have lost that ignition switch. Can anyone confirm if there is a resistor or some sort of anti-theft thing going on with it? I would like to wire it into the buggy's factory ignition if I can.

Archived