Iphone 5S - Charging Issue

VFRAG

I was just wondering if anyone else has any issues charging their 5S

I have a fully charged battery, using SAE 2 pin ring terminal fused and connected directly to battery - to that I have corresponding connector / cable with a 12v socket on the end of it - which is getting voltage, with a USB connector installed in the socket... and the SAE pig tail is working when I connect my battery tender...

Please note I have changed iPhone charge cables / USB connector to confirm no issues there...

Everything seems to be working fine other than the phone allowing itself to be charged... and it charges perfectly in any car 12v that I have plugged it into...

I've have never charged this iPhone on the bike and just testing out and setting up things for the upcoming season...

Any ideas ?

Thank You

• Member Contributer

Also check the Amperage and wattage...

Source Voltage Current Power
PC USB -> 5 volts -> 0.5 amps -> 2.5 Watts
iPhone Charger -> 5 volts -> 1.0 amps -> 5 Watts
iPad Charger -> 5.1 volts -> 2.1 amps -> 12 watts

more information here - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3511

Polarity LOL....checked

In regards to W/A/V - the same cable setup was just plugged into my truck socket no issues...then plugged into the VFR socket which has 12v also nothing nadda....makes no sense...other things work on VFR socket....iPhone issue only..

Insert snarky "shoulda bought a Droid based phone" comment because much like the OP I've got no clue where the problem lies. Though I will say that even my iPad doesn't like charging on the bike.

I have a "Y" splitter that I use sometimes and one of my plugs (I think it is my USB) won't work in it either. I think the 12V socket is too deep for the USB adapter to touch the center positive post of the socket. Does your USB connector have a light in it so you know it is getting power? Mine does, and that is how I know it isn't working in the Y socket.

Yes I thought this too at first - tried a different design of USB w/light - and was lit up and still no iPhone juice.....

I have a "Y" splitter that I use sometimes and one of my plugs (I think it is my USB) won't work in it either. I think the 12V socket is too deep for the USB adapter to touch the center positive post of the socket. Does your USB connector have a light in it so you know it is getting power? Mine does, and that is how I know it isn't working in the Y socket.

• Member Contributer

My first thought was that it could be the cable as Apple has very strict rules regarding cables for Apple products, particularly the lightning cables. I have several "iDevices" iPads, iPhones and a handful of 3rd party cables (i.e. Not made by Apple) and some of them work with the iPads but not with the iPhones, go figure. Since you have the same cable that works in your car and not the bike, I would think that the voltage or polarity would be the culprit. Since polarity seems to be OK, voltage is the last remaining item to check IMO. Can you check your setup with another members bike? or see if another member has a similar setup you can try your phone on.

Hey Duc,

This is exactly how I saw it since yesterday when I started setting things up...voltage has to be it - but the same setup works for other non iPhone items plugged into socket - battery charged to 100% full, and also even tried it bike running - it all works except for iPhone... just for the sake of curiosity I just ran out and tried the OE phone cable still nothing,,,,,

My first thought was that it could be the cable as Apple has very strict rules regarding cables for Apple products, particularly the lightning cables. I have several "iDevices" iPads, iPhones and a handful of 3rd party cables (i.e. Not made by Apple) and some of them work with the iPads but not with the iPhones, go figure. Since you have the same cable that works in your car and not the bike, I would think that the voltage or polarity would be the culprit. Since polarity seems to be OK, voltage is the last remaining item to check IMO. Can you check your setup with another members bike? or see if another member has a similar setup you can try your phone on.

• Member Contributer

I'll see if I can try my setup later today. I just recently installed a Powerlet plug on my '09 but have yet to check out the USB setup I have. I'll let you know if I have a similar or "other" condition. I'll also check with my business partner as he seems to know a lot about the "issues" with Apple devices. Hopefully I'll have an answer soon, I have a deadline this morning so I have to attend to that first.

Cheers!

Very nice - Thank You !!

I'll see if I can try my setup later today. I just recently installed a Powerlet plug on my '09 but have yet to check out the USB setup I have. I'll let you know if I have a similar or "other" condition. I'll also check with my business partner as he seems to know a lot about the "issues" with Apple devices. Hopefully I'll have an answer soon, I have a deadline this morning so I have to attend to that first.

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

Well, here's what I have...Powerlet socket, Powerlet 'Y' cable (Powerlet plug to Powerlet socket/Cigarette lighter socket), "generic" Cigarette plug to USB adapter, Apple OEM USB to Lightning cable. Looks like it works for me. My Powerlet plug is connected straight to the battery, similar to your SAE cable I imagine, and the Cigarette/USB adapter I bought at a Walgreen's of all places. What are the components used in your setup? i.e. SAE to "x" socket/cable, to...

post-23057-0-61503600-1393274117.jpg

post-23057-0-16521900-1393274054.jpg

post-23057-0-09267200-1393274037.jpg

For my 5s I use the Apple cord, to a Cycle Gear USB plug, to a Battery Tender cord, (pic)

to a (fused) direct from battery quick connect cord also from Battery Tender.

Works fine. Will have to check if same results for the Mini iPad.

post-13109-0-14396400-1393275690.jpg

Not sure what to say - everything else plugged into it works... I have the battery tender SAE pigtail from the battery - generic SAE I made with a 12v socket (which works for all other things I plug into it) - griffin usb/12v adaptor (tried all three I have all same results nada) and another USB/12v one I have with a led light on it - all do not give any juice to 5S....

I may order one of these:

081-0158.jpg

• Member Contributer

Wattage and amp ! - recheck. my iPad refuses to charge on my PC due to the low wattage and amp.

your phone will eventually charge if you leave it over night and the screen off - because the power is so low.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Wera

At the end of the day - all new - battery / switched fuse panel / all combinations of OE charge cable to everything else and half dozen 12v USB sockets I had kicking around waiting for the USB socket I had no love....I found the iPhone 5/s very finicky with power

Finally the cable arrived - wired to switched panel and plugged in voila I'm charging the 5s !!

Being that pretty much all the combinations above i tried in a 12v socket in the car had no issues...I still cant understand why a smaller new bike battery (new) gave me all the issues...and a few other things I tried in the combinations above same parts on the bike worked to charge no issue.... I guess the 5s is one smart phone

BB

I ordered a USB plug and attached an SAE plug on the end. Looks like you can buy them like that now. I left the wire long enough to reach my saddle bag or tank bag.
http://burnsmoto.com/usb-power-socket-weatherproof.php

• Forum CEO

Make sure the voltage converter your using has enough rated amperage, some 0.4 milivolt usb car chargers barely keep my galaxy note running. The charger it came with is rated 2 amps so 4 times what I was using.

Thanks Wera

Glad you finally got something figured out that will work for you. My GF has been having problems with her iPad and different cables. Seems some will allow communication with a computer, but won't charge the battery. So I think you are right. They are finicky!

Yeah - during this whole process I read a lot about this lightning cable chip...

After the proper cleaned voltage from the new connector - I can use OE and non OE on VFR without issue....aahhh

Thanks Wera

Glad you finally got something figured out that will work for you. My GF has been having problems with her iPad and different cables. Seems some will allow communication with a computer, but won't charge the battery. So I think you are right. They are finicky!

Archived