929 Shock Instal Vfr750F 1997

Guest svgt

I have recently purchased a 929 shock from Jamie Daugherty.

On installing the shock I noticed as the spring passes through the hole in the arm it is very close to the swing arm. So close that a piece of paper will not slide between the shock and the arm.

I have been in contact with Jamie and he reassured me that it will not be a problem "as long as it is not pushing against the swingarm".

With my weight on the bike I realise that the swingaem will move away from the shock. So that provides reassurance.

It is still concerning me.

I wanted to see what experienced VFR riders think.

Am I worrying unduly?

I have it installed with the reservoir facing the rear, towards the battery box.

• Member Contributer

I have a 929 shock installed on my wife's 1996 VFR750 and it sits fairly close to the edge of the hole in the swing arm as well when on the center stand. With the bike sitting on the ground it is about 1/8" or more away from the edge of the hole. The shock was installed by the previous owner (about 20,000 km's ago he said) and the ride difference is truly amazing compared to the stock shock. I also have one of Jamie D's 929 shocks on my 2000 VFR with similar results.

You might want to recheck the way you installed the tri-angular plates on the bottom of the shock just to make sure they are oriented properly. I believe they have arrows on them showing which way they face forward. On both my wife's bike and my own the reservoir is on the forward side toward the engine (I know it is on the 2000 but not 100% sure on my wife's without looking) but that should not really make a difference as far as the shock location in the mounts as the centreline of the shock remains the same regardless of the orientation of the remote reservoir.

Hope this sets your mind a bit at ease. When I measured the 929 shock on my bike before I installed it, I did notice that the 929 shock was a little larger in diameter overall, but it does not actually touch the swing arm anywhere. It comes close but does not make contact.

Thanks for that. I did take the bike for a short test ride and was impressed with the difference in the bike's ability to hold a line.

I will check the plates tomorrow but from memory I don't think I had to remove them, just loosen to get the bottom mount to slide in. It is reassuring to know that it is not unusual for the distance between the shock and swingarm to be small.

• Member Contributer

There are many things on modern-era motorcycles that are packed closely together. As long as it is not pushing against the swingarm (which they don't) you are fine.

Enjoy!

• Member Contributer

There are many things on modern-era motorcycles that are packed closely together. As long as it is not pushing against the swingarm (which they don't) you are fine.

Enjoy!

I know I have, and I'm sure I will continue to enjoy the shock you did for my 5th gen Jamie. You have a fantastic product and your willingness to help others IMHO was and is second to none.

• 3 weeks later...

You just need the shock, but you'll also need to fabricate an extension to go between the top mount and the frame, as the 929 shock is too short for the VFR.

Stock top mount, and an example of a modded one:

shockmount002.jpg

5th Gen specific, but gives you all the info you need:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/17268-929954-shock-install-5th-gen/

You just need the shock, but you'll also need to fabricate an extension to go between the top mount and the frame, as the 929 shock is too short for the VFR.

Stock top mount, and an example of a modded one:

shockmount002.jpg

5th Gen specific, but gives you all the info you need:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/17268-929954-shock-install-5th-gen/

thanks. my rear shock sucks and bottoms out on every bump

You're welcome. If I were you I'd PM Jamie Daugherty for some advice, you might need to go for a heavier spring even with a 929 shock.

Archived