Factory Pro Star Shift Kit Installed, Ride Review

gig

• Member Contributer

I was not sure about doing this mod as I've read mixed reviews from good to indifferent. The feel of the bike, being the most important thing to me, I decided on, Pro Star kit and Hel ss lines w/out delinking this winter. I Love It, shifts are much tighter with shorter stroke, does not eliminate any of the clunkiness around 1st and 2nd but being tighter it feels better. Clutch-less shifts are sure and easy, without having to worry about rpm's or acceleration as before, and with that neutral is easier to find when trying to find, which was my biggest concern, as i ride for work in a downtown setting and like to find neutral at the lights to sit upright. For me it is a great mod.

ps. In a instillation thread i followed on VFRD, it suggested that it might be easier to install the "sprung arm first then the star" which is impossible as i tried for almost an hour. install per service manual, which takes 2 minutes.

Ill let you know how the ss lines turn out. Thx

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the feedback on the Factory Pro Shift Star... I've been curious about that one and have considered it myself. Currently, I'm working on BLS's advice to improve my shifting technique first! :goofy:

Glad it is working well for you!

If you're like me you'll love the SS brake lines... I went with Speigler and they made a world of difference in the brake feel and power. I can brake with one or two fingers now.

• Member Contributer

I've had my shift star in for about 5 years, 50,000km - its one of the best mods I've done.

Agreed. Really made the bike more enjoyable, particularly for track days :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

$195, 3hrs work, was a good return on investment. Now if the shifter cover wasn't leaking oil, i would be golden. Damn-it :pissed:

And of course the oil goes onto the rear tire ..

• Member Contributer

Yes, directly under the rear tire, glad i noticed it before the tire did. The gasket was a bitch to get off, did a better job the second time.

Just got the ss lines on, hoping for no leaks this time, will give a ride report after we get out from under the foot of snow we have coming tomorrow. lm ready for spring at the gap! :wheel:

• Member Contributer

Yes, directly under the rear tire, glad i noticed it before the tire did. The gasket was a bitch to get off, did a better job the second time.

Just got the ss lines on, hoping for no leaks this time, will give a ride report after we get out from under the foot of snow we have coming tomorrow. lm ready for spring at the gap! :wheel:

The never ending winter .

• Like 1