Storage Fuel Winters Near You May Want To Read This---

Guest theelf

I am unclear if i should buy leaded fuel or just run unleaded the only fuel needed ??-- i heard that the leaded help lubricate the valves-- it will not be useing this all the time but every few tanks for a change--

I know this bike is so old that the fuels have changed a few times--and i have found ethanol free gas at a station 30 miles away--

also for your carb bikes-------------- vp has a fuel c9 storage fuel is what it is labeled---- www.vpracingfuels.com/storagefuels ---any comments would be appreciated..hope this helped-

• Member Contributer

no one makes leaded fuel anymore.. pretty damned sure it was banned 40 years ago...

enth free is the way to go..

buy 87 oct whatever octain and add stabil or seafoam .. shut off the gas... drain the carbs.. turn on gas.. run bike so the new gas gets through the lines and carbs...

turn off gas.. drain carbs..

no one makes leaded fuel anymore.. pretty damned sure it was banned 40 years ago...

buy 87 oct whatever octain and add stabil or seafoam .. shut off the gas... drain the carbs.. turn on gas.. run bike so the new gas gets through the lines and carbs...

go to the site i posted then :comp13: click online shopping-racing fuel and low and behold leaded and unleaded------ uhh drain carbs twice?? :goofy:

Your bike is designed for unleaded fuel.

The VP race fuels are incredibly expensive and completely unnecessary in a street bike.

I had my 1986 for 14 years and 53,000km, and it ran as good the day I sold it, as the day I bought it new off the showroom floor.

Nothing but regular pump unleaded. Some fuel stabilizer in the winter for storage, and drain out the carb float bowls, that's it.

Don't overthink it. Go ride.

Use this for winter: http://www.goldeagle.com/mobile/products/stabil.aspx

• Member Contributer

go to the site i posted then :comp13: click online shopping-racing fuel and low and behold leaded and unleaded------ uhh drain carbs twice?? :goofy:

yes twice!!

to get rid of the old gas all together.. its over kill ,but its also 3 hours faster than rebuilding your carbs in the spring.

if you cant take 5 min to drain them , dont blame me when your banging your head against the wall when your pilot jets are clogged. :comp13:

as for leaded gas.. it looks like i misunderstood the documentary about how nasty it is.. i was under the impression it was flat out banned . as it should be, but i guess the gas makers bribed a bunch of politicians.. ..again. :huh:

• Member Contributer

gll429 is right and we have a Clair Patterson to thank for that, since his interest in lead was raised during his work on figuring out the Earth's age....

He figured out that prior to 1923, lead had not been hugely present in the atmosphere and suspected that car exhausts to be the main cause.

This had him up against the Ethyl Corporation (started by GM, Du Pont and Standard Oil), who used its power to fark him. But he never gave up and in 1970 the US got their Clean Air Actand in 1986 the ban on leaded gasoline.

It is reported that the lead content in the blood of Americans dropped by 80%. Pity it is stored in your bones...

Mining and chemical industry still pump lead in the atmosphere though...

Lead is a nerve toxin... but is was profitable to market and reduced pinging in engines...

We "thank" lead (or TEL) in fuel to a man named Midgley, who also "gave" the world CFK's....

He died in 1944, strangling himself with a contraption he designed to help him sit up straight in bed (polio had crippled him)

yes twice!!

to get rid of the old gas all together.. its over kill ,but its also 3 hours faster than rebuilding your carbs in the spring.

if you cant take 5 min to drain them , dont blame me when your banging your head against the wall when your pilot jets are clogged. :comp13:

as for leaded gas.. it looks like i misunderstood the documentary about how nasty it is.. i was under the impression it was flat out banned . as it should be, but i guess the gas makers bribed a bunch of politicians.. ..again. :huh:

So you need to ban lead and politicians. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Dutchy! I love your 'work' Thanx, Good fortune, R3~

I read a lot..... this info from Bill Bryson's "a small history of almost everything" :goofy:

okay guys unleaded only------------but according to this fuel, if i just bought 5 gallons i could put it in there and no worries of the carb problems- and i suppose a little stable on top wouldn't hurt either-- we have wierd weather here it can snow one day and be 75 degrees 2 days later-- now back to the readings of dutchy-- wow never knew all that corperate government control over the gas we pay for--- maybe i shouldn't know-

Wait until you see the price of the race gas. Any race gas.

Be sitting down when you read it. And hopefully you don't have a pre-existing heart condition that might get aggravated.

Normal pump gas + Sta-Bil and you're good to go.

Archived