5Th Gen Front Mount/air Bleed Hose

keef

Hi all,

I'm new here, but have had my VFR for a while. I am almost finished my front mount rad conversion using a TL1000R top rad. It's mounted using the mount points for the standard oil cooler, which i relocated lower down inside the headers, and upgraded to an sp1 cooler while i was at it.

My question is, do i need to plumb in the air bleed hose?

The original right hand rad has a nipple for the bleed hose to connect to as well as a nipple for the overflow. the TLR rad only has a nipple for the overflow. Do i need to plumb in the air bled hose (i can drill and tap another nipple) or can i just plug it after i have bled the system?

Just above what I think is the thermostat housing, I think it's the highest point in the cooling system. I guess air works it's way up to the thermostat, gets forced through the air bleed hose, then into the right rad, at which point it floats up to the rad cap and comes out there when you burp the system, or out the overflow pipe later on if the cap is closed.

Drilling and tapping another nipple is another possible leak, but if the hose always has fluid running through it, if I block it off, it could stop the whole thing from working properly.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/uploads/monthly_10_2013/post-28591-0-08224700-1382328061.jpg

All good, i drilled and tapped into the bottom of the in line adapter, so air will be able to make its way out through the rad cap or overflow/expansion can.

• Member Contributer

You can cap it once the system is bled.

That said I find it interesting that someone is changing the rad system when they don't appear to understand what all the parts are & there correct function.

For instance you think it's the thermostat ! The VFR & pretty much all modern vehicles do NOT have an overflow pipe from the rad, nor a coolant bottle. They have a fluid over pressure expansion pipe that leads to the system expansion bottle ! There is an overflow pipe from the expansion bottle but if that ever leaks you have a serious problem !

I assume you are doing a street fighter. If so & you have mounted your new rad, get a friend to hold the bike up whilst you remove the fork caps & let the suspension down to full compression to ensure the wheel does NOT hit the new rad !

I find it interesting that you feel the need to get a condescending jibe in before you help a new guy answer a question. That said, I reckon I've got enough of an idea to have a go, Mohawk, and asking questions is how you learn more. If it's not the thermostat, what is it?

It does have an overflow tube from the rad, coolant expands, it overflows into the expansion bottle, and is siphoned back up as it cools.

Proper technical terms may escape me, but I'm not a complete goose. I've changed the plastic expansion bottle as well. Its in pretty much the same position, but much better looking.

Yep, doing a streetfighter. I started a thread on it a couple of days ago. The new rad sits higher than the OEM oil cooler did, well above the little cutout in the cylinder, the tire should hit the motor before it hits the rad. I have taken for a quick spin up and down my fairly long driveway, and noticed a few leaks, the worst one was from the pipe around the generator cover. I saw one of your threads about the silicone hoses, didn't notice the update about not being able to get the reiforced hose to clamp properly. I switched it back to the standard one last night, when I've got the time to wait for postage from the uk, I'll get 45 degree hoses like you did.

The oil cooler has been changed to an sp1, and now sits down low a bit behind the headers.

• Member Contributer

Sorry was not meant to be a jibe. The VFR service manuals are online on this site, that's the best place to start if you want to learn, all parts are described correctly & there is a complete coolant flow diagram, which shows what does what & where it is located.

The reinforced hose did not seal correctly dues to the top hose mount stub NOT being the correct size ! Even with the 45 degree parts, it would not seal properly, when I measured it it was 1.5mm undersize. I used some heat shrink to bring it up to the required size & its been sealed tight evr since.

Good luck with the build.

Edited by Mohawk

No worries, Mohawk. I've downloaded the manual to my dropbox, so I can look at it on my ipad in the garage.

When a noticed a small leak, I wiggled the hose which made it a big leak. I then tightened the clamp as much as i could, and still managed to pull the hose off with my hand. That's when i figured i should measure the stub, instead of just assuming it was 25mm like the rest of them. Heat shrink is a great idea, i tried silicone rescue tape, but no go, so i just put the original rubber one back on.

I filled the bike with coolant last night, no leaks this morning, so ill start her up when i get home from work, annoy the neighbors with a v4 rumble, and see if it leaks under pressure.