Fork And Brake Upgrade

Guest sunnidog

Jamie is probably going to say it will not work but hey ho you do not know till you try.

Basic parts vfr400 nc30 fork sliders and cartridges, xl600 fork tubes (sort of trails /roadster) the tubes are 1" longer than the vf

Extended the cartridges by 6" i have now got preload and rebound adjustment, f4i front wheel, vtr1000 disc/ calipers, fitted using rick oliver caliper mounts

sonic vf1000r 1.0 fork springs. I have not been for a long test ride yet as i am fiiting a vf1000r swing arm so when that is complete it,s set up time :beer:

post-26066-0-18418100-1381949014.jpg

• 1 year later...

I know I am bringin back a seriously old topic here, but I have found no one else who did this mod, sunnidog.. I need to know :wacko:

Could you please spare some more details? Is this with an f4i wheel or f2? I thought the F4i had 3-spoke wheels?

How did you extend the cartridges? Was this straightforward? Any info is very much appriciated

Thank you very much! I knew it was a long shot, the email is more then I hoped for, I will contact him and let you know the details!

I am currently researching all possible fork mods for this bike, and this one looks very "oem", which I really like.

• 2 weeks later...

HI. I bought that bike off John in Jan 2014. I sold it not too long afterwards as the front end setup was woeful. It looked ok except for the rather excessive amount of stanchion poking up above the yoke but the ride was poor, the damping all to cock & the lack of feedback was worrying. Rather than start from scratch with the forks I decided to cut my losses & sell it. I really didn't need another long running project!

I now have a VF1000R & wish I'd kept the F to nick the wheels off it for the R !

Previously I owned a VFR750 which had been built by PDQ & featured in Practical Sportsbike. That had CBR6 wheels & GSXR USD forks.

Nice bike, so clean you could eat your dinner off it. But even that 'professionally tested' bike had its faults - when you braked really hard the front wheel hit the radiator! Bloody scary!

Here's some pics:

Dave

post-32246-0-89041600-1425083439.jpg

post-32246-0-73038000-1425083527.jpg

• Member Contributer

The joy of front end projects. The simple way to check clearance is easy with RWU forks, remove caps, remove spring, slide wheel all the way up. It should not hit anything by at least 10mm to allow for fork flex. Remember to fit the mudguard before testing this. If you want to drop the yokes down the fork, you can use this test to find out how far you can go when doing a fork oil change.

Now with USD forks this is really hard to check. To perform the same check, you have to completely strip the forks, then reassemble with no internals so you can compress the forks when mounted to the bike. Then find the minimum clearance and mark the fork tube. Now strip & reassemble for use, it's obvious your professionally done one was not very professional at all !

• 2 weeks later...

It was actually not clear from the previous pictures that the stanchions stuck out this far above the yoke!

Thanks for the reply, I also got in contact with John, and he specified the setup a bit further:

Hi maxim
Honda xl 600 stanchions
Honda nc30 fork bottoms
Nc 30 damper cartridges x 4 to extend the length use just the rods to extend
rvf front wheel
vtr 1000- disc& calipers with rick oliver caliper mounting conversion
vf1000r sonic springs (linear)
Stanchions modifyed to accept the dampers
regards

Archived