Review: Metzeler M5 Sportec D-Spec

Grayv3

Well after 650 mi of all sorts of conditions I think I can make a proper assessment of these tires. Last Monday I got them mounted after work & rode home 12 mi. 4yta5yra.jpg I immediately noticed that the bike was very eager to lean & on the hwy it seamed it would wonder side to side from the cross wind. It made me a little nervous since I wasn't used to the quick reaction of these tires, but that will soon change.

I wasn't able to use the bike until Friday morning & ride to work continuing to get used to it while going easy. After work I rechecked pressures & got on the hwy headed for the Catskills fall ride. On the way up I experienced temps from 90 down to 58 with drizzle, fog & wet roads. By the time the colder wet conditions came I was over 100 mi so I was ready to see how they felt riding normally. My old tires (OE dunlops) would have the back skating all over in the wet like on ice. I pulled over when the rain started on the ny through way to add my layers & I did a hard take off to see what it take to break the rear loose. Nothing! Not a twitch! Then I decided to try the front out & slowly bumped up my speed topping 80 mph & switching lanes slowly through the turns going tighter then wider. Still nothing! I finally had tires that I felt I could trust.

a8ezy2yp.jpg

The next morning vfraustin, twitte & I geared up & headed out for a damp start for the fall ride. daqaqehu.jpg

I ended up second in line behind sebspeed & realized I had to gather all the practicing & theory from books & videos to keep pace & keep safe! We rode some awesome roads & I started to find my groove. The more we rode the more comfortable & confident I felt. During the ride I hit some damp leaf covered roads, gravel, slow switchbacks & fast sweepers. The baby gap scared the crap out of me going down hill! Up hill wasn't so bad. I blew a few turns going in too hot & had to brake using the rear. The bike stayed composed & leaned & stayed in my lane. If I went wide just some correction & it complied. I did ride the yellow line a couple times & the m5's didn't mind. However in the I won't say how fast sweepers I rode the tar snake along the white line & it front started to twitch telling me I needed to adjust my line to move off of it. Seb & midlife put me through my paces while I put my vfr & m5's through there's slightly hanging off the seat like a badass (to me). u5a8epus.jpg

In all I had a GREAT time & rode home home that night another 200 mi. I checked my tires this morning & found I made it to level 5, almost to the edge. Not bad for almost 2 yrs of riding! The best riding I've ever done. I also found some rubber residue on the transition point from center to side. I'm not sure if its a characteristic of the dual compound d-spec or if it was the riding. y9a3ysep.jpg Overall I would absolutely buy these at full price! Now I know what's its like to really ride, I have confidence in my abilities & now my tires. Thanks for reading & sorry if it was a bit long. I will also update this as I pile on commuting miles & see how long they last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Member Contributer

Good write up Grayson....when you get a minute post a close up of the edge wear of the front and rear....glad you enjoyed "The Catskills group with Madskillz" ride...all of those NE guys are great.

• Member Contributer

I'm curious to see how long they last. Hope you keep us all informed.

And Ride Safe.

Good write up Grayson....when you get a minute post a close up of the edge wear of the front and rear....glad you enjoyed "The Catskills group with Madskillz" ride...all of those NE guys are great.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Is this what you were looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Member Contributer

Could you take a black and white shot from 30' foot away with Nikon 35mm with a 350mm lens just before dark with a LED flash unit 3 921`36462348753`4`59.

:goofy: Hot Dam That's Funny. They look good to me. I put my other set of wheel on with the M5 on tomorrow ..

Could you take a black and white shot from 30' foot away with Nikon 35mm with a 350mm lens just before dark with a LED flash unit 3 921`36462348753`4`59.

:goofy: Hot Dam That's Funny. They look good to me. I put my other set of wheel on with the M5 on tomorrow ..

:blink::laughing6-hehe:

nice!

• Member Contributer

You mean to tell me that I wasn't witnessing the M5s in action on Saturday?

• Member Contributer

That was the conti motions we saw in action. Most wear in a rear tire in one day I have ever seen. The tire looked fairly new to me at the Gap store when we met Dave Saturday morning and when we got to his house that night it looked bald. On top of that I was watching Dave's rear tire drifting wide constantly.

Archived