6Th Gen - Top Case Only Suggestions?

WalkThisWhey

I have a 6th gen and I would like to buy a top case and bracket only, no sidebags right now as I live in a city and would like to stay narrow for tight spaces.

One thing to keep in mind for my bike is that the previous owner did his own fender eliminator kit...as in, he took the entire rear tag bracket off (including the light...asshole; I had to get LED bolts). So if there is a top case that require support from that spot, I think I am screwed.

For a mount, I'd ideally like something where the bracket is removable for aesthetic purposes, but that is not a total deal breaker. I DO want something that gives me space for a passenger for 2 up riding, so something directly over the passenger pillon wouldn't work. Finally, if it is compatible with Honda OEM sidecase mounts I'd like that too (if in the future I want sidebags), but again I understand if this isn't going to work.

For a top case, I'd like something bigger. I've looked at the Givis and they seem nice, but I am wondering what other manufacturers are out there and what they have to offer? If I could store two helmets in it that would be good. I don't have to have all the bells and whistles for options, but I would like it to lock and have the ability to be wired for brake lights.

The reason I post this question is because I've read through a lot of posts, and I am not quite sure about the mixing and matching of frame mounts, bags, and side bags. Can some aftermarket mounts work with other aftermarket top cases?

• Member Contributer

Most previous aftermarket kits from Givi and others bolt into the rear handles, but it depends on what you want and what you don't like as far as looks go. I did a Coocase for the 1200 last month and so far I like it, even though it is the biggest one I have ever had.

If mine didn't come with a factory top case I'd got a bigger givi model.

The factory mount is quite large but it is handy if you need to bungee something down without the case as it provides a great flat surface.

• Member Contributer

Oh I should say the rack was the AluRack from Motech, which I really like. Sturdy, good finish, blah blah.

It is a generic rack and then you get the individual plates to fit each case (Givi, Kappa, Shad, Coocase, etc), so it should be easier to sell.

Oh I should say the rack was the AluRack from Motech, which I really like. Sturdy, good finish, blah blah.

It is a generic rack and then you get the individual plates to fit each case (Givi, Kappa, Shad, Coocase, etc), so it should be easier to sell.

That Alu Rack is REALLY nice! Is it a quick release for the top case on that mount?

• Member Contributer

I have the Givi 46 liter, was installed when i purchased the mc. Wasn’t sure how I would like a trunk but have grown to love it. easy to access "stuff" and like the height, dont have to bend over to look for something. Have used it for 3 day trips and holds just enough. When riding I can just see the edge in my mirrors past my shoulders. larger case would block rear view more. its rated to hold two helmets but I cant even fit one ?? must spec with small 1/2 helmet. I use a releasable tie wrap to strap my helmet to the handlebar anyway. Case comes off easy for transport. I even added brake/turn lights to increase visibility.

post-25076-0-03372200-1376278254.jpg

• Member Contributer

That Alu Rack is REALLY nice! Is it a quick release for the top case on that mount?

Alu-Rack is a permanently mounted plate which allows for quick release of adapter plates that mount to it. One of those is the Givi adapter.

All the cases are quick release from the adapter.

• Member Contributer

I've have had four different set-ups for the trunk on my 6th gen, and here are my observations of each.

Givi FZ166 with M5 mount: I bought this as my first trunk mount. It was sturdy and did everything I asked of it. It worked great for a passenger, but I could not use the Honda sidebags which I was determined to use, so it was retired.

SW-MOTO Alu-Rack: This was purchased so I could use the top case and still use the Honda sidebags. It worked as designed, but like some of the literature states, it does slightly intrude into the passenger's setting area. It also was not as sturdy as I wanted it to be when trusting it as a backrest for a passenger. It was retired because I wanted something more sturdy.

Honda top case mount: This was purchased so I could use all the bags (top Givi and Honda side cases) at once and be comfortable with the stoutness of the set-up. This is still option I'm using when the bike is set-up for passenger operations. This is not a direct bolt-on set-up, I had to fabricate an intermidate plate to attach the Givi M5 box mount to the Honda bracket. I used a simple piece of plate steel and cut it to fit the Givi M5 mount and then drilled the holes in the plate steel so it could attach to the Honda bracket.

OEM Givi mount

Givi plate On OEM mount

Lastly (but not least) the mount above the passenger pad: I know you want passenger access but this is my fourth mount so I'm including it. I built something along the same lines as KKen's solo rack. Mine is multiple pieces of steel that are cut and welded instead of a single piece that is bent to shape. Mine also does not have the option of using any other mount besides the Givi M5 mounting plate unlike KKen's where it has multiple trunk options. This is the set-up that is on my bike 90% of the time, as I don't typically ride 2-up.

tn_gallery_10736_3456_384033.jpg

I hope this helps.

This is very, very helpful! I think I am going to go with the SW Motech plate and a Givi case. My only concern is a brake light. Can the Motech plate with the Givi adaptor accept brake wiring for quick disconnects, or is that a Givi only mount kind of thing?

JC Whitney Chinese knock off top case fit the Givi bike specific rack perfectly.

They did not advertise that fact or mention it.

I was happy, thought I would have to custom engineer something.

Your mileage will vary, mine's a 5th gen. But you might look into it. :wink:

• Member Contributer

This is very, very helpful! I think I am going to go with the SW Motech plate and a Givi case. My only concern is a brake light. Can the Motech plate with the Givi adaptor accept brake wiring for quick disconnects, or is that a Givi only mount kind of thing?

My SW Moto plate for my Givi did NOT have the knock-out for the brake light connector.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

I've have had four different set-ups for the trunk on my 6th gen, and here are my observations of each.

Givi FZ166 with M5 mount: I bought this as my first trunk mount. It was sturdy and did everything I asked of it. It worked great for a passenger, but I could not use the Honda sidebags which I was determined to use, so it was retired.

SW-MOTO Alu-Rack: This was purchased so I could use the top case and still use the Honda sidebags. It worked as designed, but like some of the literature states, it does slightly intrude into the passenger's setting area. It also was not as sturdy as I wanted it to be when trusting it as a backrest for a passenger. It was retired because I wanted something more sturdy.

Honda top case mount: This was purchased so I could use all the bags (top Givi and Honda side cases) at once and be comfortable with the stoutness of the set-up. This is still option I'm using when the bike is set-up for passenger operations. This is not a direct bolt-on set-up, I had to fabricate an intermidate plate to attach the Givi M5 box mount to the Honda bracket. I used a simple piece of plate steel and cut it to fit the Givi M5 mount and then drilled the holes in the plate steel so it could attach to the Honda bracket.

Lastly (but not least) the mount above the passenger pad: I know you want passenger access but this is my fourth mount so I'm including it. I built something along the same lines as KKen's solo rack. Mine is multiple pieces of steel that are cut and welded instead of a single piece that is bent to shape. Mine also does not have the option of using any other mount besides the Givi M5 mounting plate unlike KKen's where it has multiple trunk options. This is the set-up that is on my bike 90% of the time, as I don't typically ride 2-up.

I hope this helps.

Hondalover,

Thanks for this! I'm going to cut my own plate for the OEM rack.

Archived