Boot Soles Worn Through Already

emoyer

• Member Contributer

I have a pair of Tourmaster Solution waterproof boots that I have worn for about 12,000 miles of riding, and both sides are already worn completely through on the ball of the foot. I believe this is from friction against the pegs as I grip with my knees and heels (obviously). And I have the OEM pegs with the rubber tops, not knurled aftermarket ones.

So two questions:

(1) Since the rest of the boots are still in very good shape I would rather not discard them, so I am wondering how best to patch the holes. I could try Shoe Goo, but I am thinking that will be soft and wear through again quickly. Or I could try to superglue a piece of thick leather on the place where the hole is. Thoughts?

(2) When it does become time to replace them, I am wondering what would be better. I looked at more expensive boots on motorcyclegear.com, but they seem to have the same kind of soles as what I have now. Then I thought maybe racing boots would have tougher soles, but I read something about them actually having thin soles for better feel. And the workboot-type riding boots look like the soles are thicker, but I dont know how waterproof they would be. Suggestions?

Thank you.

• Member Contributer

Personally, I'd talk to a local shoe repair shop.

A cobbler if you will.

Many times in the past those guys have saved me some coin, and many times repair to better than new. I don't know whether or not they can help with the waterproof thing, but they should be able to vulcanize something that should seal up well.

Good luck!

• Member Contributer

As far as repairing them find a cobbler. depending on how they are constructed he may either repair or even replace the sole. I have a good in the town where I live and he's really good and cheap. Just had my Dainese boots stretched in the toe area a little...4$!

Jess

P.S. I love my Dainese boots, goretex so they're waterproof. and they were comfy till somehow my feet got fat over the winter??

• Member Contributer

I just pop for a new pair of boots, but then again I get a lot long wear out of them than you do. I don't wear through the sole but start to lose grip as the soles wear smooth. Might be worth checking into another brand of boot..

• Member Contributer

Negative on the pegs causing the wear...it's the asphalt/concrete. I have used this online shop to resole my Sidi's. Maybe they can do Tourmaster as well...call them. The soles they put on my Sidi's are wearing much, much longer.

http://www.factoryresole.com/

• Member Contributer

Given the cost of a decent pair of riding boots it is worthwhile to invest a few dollars to have them resoled if the rest of the boot is in good condition. I have had my Sidi's resoled once, and they are up for a second set of soles. I just take them to a local shoemaker.

I don't get it... Are you sure the wear is just from being on the pegs? You're not dragging them on the road at all?
I've had my StylMartin StylSafe boots for over 7 (seven!) years now, and if the zips hadn't blown out, I'd still be wearing them. Soles (and the rest of the boots) are fine. Shame, as I've loved their carbon fibre goodness (7 CF plates in each boot) and super comfort.

Anyhoo - new boots (as of last week) are Forma Cape Horn, and the soles are pretty gnarly on those. I defy you to wear those out! (And yes - they are available in the US).

• Member Contributer

If it were the pegs you would see the footpeg rubber worn out. It is usually much softer than boot soles.

it really is surprising how quickly soles wear out just from putting a foot down. I usually only put down my left and that is the sole that wears first. This despite the fact I don't drag the foot - just put on a lot of miles.

Archived