The Wisdom Of Old Men...

I rode the Hillbilly Triangle in the Daniel Boone National Forest (Kentucky) this morning. I have several stories, but this one maybe stands out. I'm leaving out some details, but this is a basic synopsis. I was having breakfast in a little diner in Beattyville, KY by myself. This place was classic. My breakfast cost $4.20 and I had a good ol' timey bacon and eggs, etc.. There were a group of older gentlemen in the front of the place. An older gentlemen came over to talk to me just after I ordered my breakfast. He saw my helmet and jacket and the VFR just outside the window where I was sitting. He sat down opposite me in my booth, pushing my helmet over to make room. He wanted to talk bikes. I wasn't going anywhere and my breakfast hadn't arrived yet so I listened. Charlie told me had a Honda SilverWing and a Suzuki Burgman. He told stories of his trips to the Blue Ridge Parkway and Texas on his Burgman. His 400cc Suzuki scooter was sitting outside I learned later as he followed me out when I was leaving. Charlie is 74 years old and a verified character. He told me more about his cherished scooter outside, describing all of its features. It has an automatic transmission, don't you know... Then, he wanted to see the VFR up close and asked many questions about it. I politely answered all of them. The one that made me laugh was when he asked how fast it would go. I was soon suiting up and saying goodbyes and he asked where I was going. I said I was going to be riding some of the forest roads and showed him my map. It said "Hillbilly Triangle" in my handwriting at the top. That is what it is called by other riders (look it up). I said I was looking forward to not dealing with driveways and very many cars. This is the best part... Charlie then says "Watch out for deer.". It is about 9:30 am now and I say something like "Oh, I doubt they will be out this late in the morning.". Charlie says "This time of year they really start to move around at about 10 am.". I say thanks and have a good day, blah, blah, blah, all the while thinking that crazy old dude is full of it. Not gonna be any deer out on a sunny morning at 10 am. Less than an hour later I almost slam into the largest buck I've seen close-up ever. The big-antlered deer scrambled up a steep rocky ledge to get out of the road when he saw me approaching. It was so steep I thought he might fall back down into the road as I rode by. I looked at my clock on the bike instrument cluster. It was 10:26 am. Son of a bitch! Then, I almost hit a rabbit and squirrel in the next half mile. This is a true story. I could not make this stuff up. The rest of the ride was very enjoyable and free of close-calls.

• Member Contributer

This is one of the things I enjoy about riding motorcycles, and the VFR is no exception. Quite often on a tour when I stop for gas, food or to hit the bathroom, when I get back to my bike there's an older guy orbiting it. They usually start by asking a lot of questions, then want to tell you about bikes they've ridden or currently own (usually Goldwings or Harleys--sometimes something more exotic). Since I'm not usually in a rush when touring, I don't mind taking the time to chat. On cold days I've even been invited into motorhomes for hot chocolate or coffee, etc.

Would this happen if I were doing exactly the same thing (gassing up, eating, etc.) in my Jetta--I think not.

• Member Contributer

Priceless. Yes, lsten to local folks. I myself will humbly try abd remember that in my next trip. Belfry, are you sure it's not your good looks only that gets you hot chocolate and coffee??? Just kidding...

Safe travels friends!

C

• Member Contributer

I've discovered that it is important to know about the deer situation when riding in unfamiliar territory. :wheel: :3:

Archived