Washed 6Th Gen. Now Turn, Hazard, Tag, Brake Lights, And Horn Do Not Work

WalkThisWhey

Bike was dirty, so I took it to a car wash bay and cleaned it myself, carefully make sure not to spray hard or directly onto dash. Cleaned, waxed, and now it looks great.

Was about to go for a ride after and did a pre ride check...my rear brake (both front lever and rear pedal) does not illuminate the brake light. Turn signal plus tag lights do not work, horn does not work, and hazards do not work. High beams DO work, and starter works as well.

I am wondering if water did creep it's way somewhere and shorted something out, but I am at a loss on where to start. I have the VFRness on my bike as well, does that control those lights too? Is there a main fuse for these lights I should look at?

yup thats happened to me after riding in a bad down pour with the hazards on. i replaced the fuse, everything came back except the hazards. they work ever once in a while, but not really. im just gonna replace the whole right hand switch assembly.

On the right side of the bike, under the front cowl, there is a fuse box, many fuses in there, you have to remove the right panels

Yup, the 10A fuse was busted. Luckily the replacement was there so I put it in and it worked!

Now my concern is the cause, as I do not want this to happen again.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Check the two wires at the front brake light switch under the lever. On gen. 5, the wires can rub against the clip-on and develope a tiny hole which shorts and blows the fuse. Another member brought it up and sure enough, that was my problem.

• 4 weeks later...

my problem and solution was found when i went to replace the hand controls... the hand controls were fine, but the connections between them and the man main harness were dirty and corroded. i replaced the hand controls just because i already had them and cleaned the connection on the main harness side, now everything is good.

on a side note, i was having intermittent power loss and engine lose problems for a while. turns out, where the ignition key switch plugs into the main harness (right next to where the right hand control plugs in) was burnt to a crisp. i found this out while i was going to replace the key set, in hopes to fix the issue. funny, i was going to replace everything and it turned out to just be the connections....

dielectric grease strikes again.

Archived