Rear Seat Cowl Mod After Givi Rack

AnikMankar

• Member Contributer

I'm bidding now on another seat cowl on ebay,if I don't get it I'm just going to buy the givi 257fz,another harness from admore and be done with it,forget about the seat cowl.

with the 55l top box,38L expandable tank bag and a 40L givi wp400 seat bag she'd be good to go for a weeks touring solo I think.

That original givi monokey rack would put a lot of pressure where the grab handles used to mount,the new rack while not as tidy seems a stronger fitment.

I have had that rack on and off the bike for 14 years.

With a full trunk and a wife leaning against it while aggressive riding, it did just fine.

I can only imagine how much weight needs to be on the back to break the sub-frame at the grab handles.

Some of you guys don't have enough trust in your Honda.

They built them a little better back then.

With a full trunk and a wife leaning against it while aggressive riding, it did just fine.

I can only imagine how much weight needs to be on the back to break the sub-frame at the grab handles.

I've had the same one on mine for about 10 years now that I bought used with the 46L trunk (when needed). I've had a lot of weight in it on occasion along with someone leaning on it and no issues either. I've worried about it a little because of the stories, but no issues to date.

• Member Contributer

I've had the same one on mine for about 10 years now that I bought used with the 46L trunk (when needed). I've had a lot of weight in it on occasion along with someone leaning on it and no issues either. I've worried about it a little because of the stories, but no issues to date.

I've had no issues in 12 years either with daily use.

I've also seen two in person that cracked where the round tubing meets the mounting bracket, and they weren't that heavily loaded.

• Member Contributer

Just discovered the seat cowl I'm bidding on on ebay is for the anniversary model,silver stripes. The seller should have said it was red and silver,couldn't tell from the photo he had up,I think the red and silver would look odd on the all red vfr.

• Member Contributer

Just discovered the seat cowl I'm bidding on on ebay is for the anniversary model,silver stripes. The seller should have said it was red and silver,couldn't tell from the photo he had up,I think the red and silver would look odd on the all red vfr.

Guess you could paint it or apply vinyl carbon stickers or something similar

• Member Contributer

I cut one of my cowls for use with my side cases. Had spacers made to take up space where grab rails sat. Think I have three cowls including a blue one, Canadian, that I plasticoated.

I don't like top cases, sits to high to my liking, so when I go for a long trip I strap a dry bag to the cowl.

SW Motech racks btw.

DSCN2878.jpg

DSCN2879.jpg

• Member Contributer

Here I am loaded. Pikes peak.

DSCN2902_zpsf4c687cc.jpg

In the dry bag is a sleeping bag and tent, they both nestle in the v between the cowl and saddlebag. Other various things in the bag are jacket and pants liners and camping stuff.

Strapped on top is my Kermit chair my lovely wife bought me. : )

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Has anyone heard of failures of the bolts or frame of the Givi 257FZ rack for the Vfr800, reading some reviews here on amazon were people are saying that the bolts that connect where the luggage h0oks used to connect have sheared off,

and other reports of the rack itself cracking etc,doesn't sound great.

• Member Contributer

I've heard and seen the older style trunk rack failing, I believe that's why Givi redesigned it to the 257 style. It's still putting a big load on a part that was never designed for it, that frankenbolt cross-member, which can also fail. I've had to repair both of mine.

IMG_8222Large.jpg

• Member Contributer

Here's hoping the 1132FZ (The rack for the '14 Vtec) has been redesigned... :unsure:

Just put one in the mail to the USA...

Archived