Pirelli Angel Gts

Guest emko

Guest emko

Is anyone currently running Pirelli Angel GTs (not ST) on their VFR1200F/FD?

I tried to buy a pair of them but my request was rejected by the tire shop with the argument that Pirelli gave them no information on VFR fitting for this tire. So, they offered me the STs but I don't want the STs, I'd rather get the Michelin PR3 instead. A fried is running on the PR3s and I know how good they are but I'm hearing great things about the Angel GTs and I really want to try them.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You the customer has the right to put whatever tires you want on your own bike. They might advise against it if you want to put a very different size than stock and might even refuse for fear of lawsuit if you crash. But if it is the correct size and either sport or sport touring tire, I don't see why they should "reject". Sounds like they don't have the GT in stock and are trying to unload the older ST on you.

Go somewhere else.

• Member Contributer

The GT is an Angel ST on steroids. Longer tire life, more grip, better wet weather traction. If the STs fit and were recommended, there should be no reason why the GTs would not work on the VFR1200. Either the dealer could not find the information or Pirelli has not posted it yet (most likely, its the former). If your dealer contacts Pirelli or even one of the tire distributors directly, they would be told the same info as I am telling you now.

I plan to try the GTs on my VFR800 after the Michelin Pilot R2 wear out. I have had good luck with the Michelins but have heard that the Angel GTs are amazing, and want to give them a shot.

The GTs placed 1st in recent famous German motorrad test ahead of Metzeler Roadtec Z/8 Interact, Bridgestone T30, Continental Road Attack 2, Dunlop Roadsmart 2 and Michelin Pilot Road 3. So there's gotta be something more than just steroids, since the STs were far behind those other brands.

I'm getting the GTs anyway and I don't really give a damn what the salesmen are saying but the problem is that all tire shop that sell GTs offer them in two or three different "classes" (for Ducati, for Yamaha, etc.)... I don't know which one is for the VFR1200, they wouldn't know either. I was even thinking of checking this directly with Pirelli. But if the size and other specs fit the Honda requirements I can't go wrong, right?

Angel GT's cool introduction video (watch with sound):

For your information - Metzeler and Pirelli are made in the same factory in Germany. (Pirelli owns the "brand" Metzeler)
A lot has to do with marketing (some like Metzeler, others like Pirelli), but in fact you buy (almost) the same tire.
While the Angel ST was a single compound tire, the Metzeler Roadtec Z/8 Interac is double compound tire.
What I think: the Metzeler Roadtec Z/8 Interact is a further development of the Angel ST while the Angel GT (also a double compound) is a further development of the Metzeler Roadtec Z/8 Interact.
Probally the next tire on the market is going to be an improved Metzeler...
I don't think Pirelli has 2 different R/D departments for their 2 brands...
I have the Angel ST on my bike and I'm very pleased with it...next pair of tires: Angel GT

You the customer has the right to put whatever tires you want on your own bike. They might advise against it if you want to put a very different size than stock and might even refuse for fear of lawsuit if you crash. But if it is the correct size and either sport or sport touring tire, I don't see why they should "reject". Sounds like they don't have the GT in stock and are trying to unload the older ST on you.

Go somewhere else.

He's in Luxembourg - they might have different laws as to what a shop can fit, if it's not on an oem fitment list or something.

TUV safety regs or something similar...

True. I can't just fit whatever I want. Even during the annual technical control of my vehicle they check the size of the tires and can send me back if they don't comply with the regulations. In fact, modifications have to be approved if I want to be able to pass the technical control or sell the bike later.

And the tire shops won't sell me anything that is not in their system for my bike... But I can still buy the tires from somewhere else and just ask my tire shop for mounting and balancing, then it's on me not on them what tires I use. The tire shop recommended Angel STs and they said the tires comply with Honda's requirements. I figure if the STs comply, then the GTs would as well, as it is pretty much the same tire. So I'm going to buy the GTs and will post updates.

Something is wrong on the international Pirelli website. It's says the Pirelli GT's wont fit on a VFR 1200, because they don't have the correct tire sizes for this model. I checked the tire sizes and they do have the correct tires.

Lazy tire dealer to do a proper check?

I have the GT's and I like them a lot on my 2010. I have only ridden about 500 miles or so, mostly twisty, since the install. They are much more confidence inspiring than the OEM's. I got them from Revzilla. They arrive in 48 hours and installed them myself. I never take my bikes to the dealer except for warranty work. Sam

Just got another rejection, this time from Pirelli directy... They said and I quote "the GT has not yet been approved for Honda VFR1200"...

This does sound like a regional safety regulation thing. No wonder things cost more in Europe. That is some serious red tape.

The best price I could find for a pair of GTs was from an online retailer in Germany - 253 euro delivered to Luxembourg (around 335 US dollars). In the tire shops a pair costs 290-300 euro and you pay for work on top (another 40-60 depending on the work involved)... There is no such this as cheap maintenance around here. :-)

It's just too much hustle, so I've decided to go with the Michelin PR3 instead. At least it’s approved al right, too bad for Pirelli…

I agree. PR3 is an excellent choice.

What are the consequences of you buying a set of "un-approved" tires (of the correct sizes, of course) and have them installed? Would you face problems at the yearly inspection (or your equivalent there of)?

BTW, my experiences with Pirelli and Mezteler are mixed. The Pirelli Diablo Corsa front on my VFR's is cupped pretty bad and worn very unevenly (much more on the shoulders). I knew a supersport tire like that won't last long on the heavier VFR, and I would have been okay if it wears fast but evenly. The M5 rear I have on the VFR is wearing relatively well. Although a friend of mine wore the OEM Z8 rear on his K1600GTL down to the cords in less than 5000 miles of highway cruising.

Wouldn't be a problem really. During inspection all they check is the size and if the size fits the OEM specification then you're good. My concern is more with the insurance... I have full coverage and I've learned from experience that these guys are pretty strict. If anything happens and not everything on the bike is in full compliance with the factory specifications my claim could rejected... Insurance coverage and service around here is pretty darn good and reliable but they keep a close eye on the details.

Get the P.R. 3 . There is no better tire for the VFR out there unless you want to go with softer sport tires and replace'em every 3-4k. miles.

• Member Contributer

My BT023's arrived today (rear is a 23GT). $238 shipped was too good of a deal to pass up. I wanted the Angel GT's, but at $70 more I said no and got the Bridgestones.

Get the P.R. 3 . There is no better tire for the VFR out there unless you want to go with softer sport tires and replace'em every 3-4k. miles.

I prefer the pr2 and the 023 gt over the pr3's...jus sayin'.

A side note regarding PR3s. With the stock BT021s I checked the tire pressure about every 3 weeks- with little loss. The PR3s I check every week and am down about 4 lbs in the front and 4-6 in the rear. Not complaining, but I must say I got used to only checking every 3 weeks with the BT021s.

Have BT023 GT's on and all i can say is nice, neutral handling and lots of grip, right over to dragging the side stand bracket.

IMG_0188.jpg

Fianally arrived - two new Michelin PR3s.

For those of you who live in Europe: the best deals are at www.reifen.com ! They deliver for free within Germany and for EUR 7.90/pair to Luxembourg, Belgium and Netherlands and EUR 9.90/pair to the UK. Just for the record, I don' t work for them or anything, just a happy customer.

The tires arrived with DPD in about 4 business days, brand new (date of production code is 08/13) and I paid EUR 253.00 in total! By the way, this was the only retailer who did not try to school me what tires to use on my bike...

post-24403-0-76312600-1371501590.jpg

Archived