Out Of State Purchase

Guest Leo167

Guest Leo167

So... With the seed planted in my head ..that leftovers are heavily discounted spread about the US Researched some motorcycle shippers/ haulers with surprisingly good results and testimonials

Then started to contact a few dealers to start the long distance shopping.. Now my questions / requests I thought were pretty standard for a person in the market for a bike.. To start I ask take pictures of all angles, then if something is questionable I'd ask to take a close up and another possible angle, i mean this might be repeated a couple of times then I would go on to haggle price.. Etc ,, sounds pretty normal right?

Out of the 4... 2 never followed up.. 1 just really didn't want to bother.... And the 4th just basically told me I'm killing him with my requests and went on and deployed the "hey FYI the other salesman is working with a person who's interested and would hate to see the bike get sold from under me especially all this time put in.. But can hold it if I put a deposit down".

I actually got offended and basically wrote back to say.. Hey thanks for your time GLWTS

I'm buying something sight unseen and would like peace of mind with the whole process..Do you think im being excessive with my requests questions?, well this person basically just closed my mind on long distance out of state purchases

Almost forgot....there were a couple of things that conflicted with the bike between the web ad and the pictures of the bike that was sent to me, I believe this was the breaking point for the salesman ... On the web ad the bike clearly showed the manufacturing stripe on the tire, and when comparing the pictures that were sent to me had no stripes

Another picture showed the dash turned on and showed 4 miles...I never had those paint stripes go away in 4 miles especially they are not painted on the center of the tire.

Honestly it could be from the pictures that it's giving the bike false presentation, but I think the salesman could of worked a little harder and be more courteous, knowing that I would be buying sight unseen

If this is the case $3k-3.5k is not worth it for me not knowing what will be rolling out of that delivery truck

I doubt the dealer will agree for me to hold on to $1K payable once I accept On delivery

Yes, you're being obsessive.

You're looking at a new bike, freshly PDI'd and off the showroom floor....from a dealer who wouldn't dare to put a dented or scratched bike on the floor hoping to sell it - not a used bike from an unknown person.

Talk to them on the phone, get a feel for who you're dealing with, find out what additional fees might be added to the sale price - then buy a plane ticket and go ride it home.

I bought my 2012 VFR 1200 this way, and probably a dozen other bikes....sight unseen aside from maybe photos from their Cycletrader or craigslist ad.

Even then, if they have a few of the bikes in stock, you might be looking at a picture of one, taking delivery of another.

Don't overthink it trying to be a smart consumer....just do normal due diligence.

I've flown to NC to buy a bike and ride it home.....rode my ZX-14 to Corinth, MS to trade it in and ride something else (new leftover) back.....rode my FJR to Wooster, OH to trade it on a new leftover Guzzi 1200 Sport, and so on. Talking to the sales guys and swapping emails should give you a vibe.

• Member Contributer

I would say to ease up. These guys simply WILL NOT spend half of their day taking an entire portfolio of pics for a guy half way across the country. If it is a new bike, it is a new bike and that's it. If you are buying a "NEW" bike, a simple document from the dealership describing it as new and undamaged would suffice. Your vehicle title will also reflect it as being untitled/new. 4 miles is not a ridiculous number of miles either. After servicing a new motorcycle, the next intersection down the road from our last local Honda dealer was good 2 miles one way. Fill fluids, adjust items, ride it 2 down, turn around and ride 2 back. No biggie. As with ANY dealership, (cars/trucks/bikes) the pic you see on line or in the paper is most likely not the actual unit still sitting on the lot. Posting/printing actual photos of every vehicle would be an advertising nightmare for any type of dealership.

It is not often that I stick up for a dealership but this is one time I will. They know that if you are working them over for every last dime, you're also doing it with other dealerships around the country and jumping through a bunch of hoops for you for bottom dollar is not something they favor. Find a reputable dealer and a fair price and go get your bike.

• Member Contributer

That's what I did, got mine from Southern Ca. Got all the info I needed then flew down and made the deal, then rode it home. I would never purchase sight unseen but that's just me. Get the best price OTD then go from there. Also consider the cost of the plane ticket in the final price and then enjoy the ride home because it will be fun no matter where it is.

10_HON_VFR1200_RED1_zps25b40be5.jpg

Mine before I purchased.

2012-08-11114217_zps7592534d.jpg

The day I got her.

2012-08-12110204_zpsf3983f40.jpg

Oh yeah, the test pilot had to check it out too.

Their are two honda dealers in Ct. Willows which is in cheshire Ct and libbys which is in New Haven, Ct.

i know libbys will deal well with online buys give them a shot. i have seen vfr's on both showroom floors so i know they have them.

mdange

Ok so I may be overacting on the picture thing... Guess just a bit nervous since I've never done this before... Midwest is a bit far for me to ride back.. I just don't have the time,, so shipping is the only option... So of course I have to scrutinize a bit

As for a salesman spending time with me I disagree with The mailman.. regardless whether I was physically there or not.. I expect the same treatment, I understand he's got other tasks, and so do I.. I don't sit in my office and pester him every hour to send me a pic. .. We corresponded 3 times in a span of 2 days.... Is that being excessive? And I'm not working them for every dime.. I simply asked if we can make the advertised price the OTD price? ... Is that nickel and Diming them ? I don't think so. That is, in my experience the way to break the ice...

And it was simple questions that I asked...the bike is new never titled? Then is it possible to see the MCO.? I read the 12's have LED taillights, is this true? Then I asked to take closer shots of the front cause they installed an aftermarket screen, I expressed I didn't like it, so he offered to ship the original with the bike ... Great !, then I ask why was the screen changed , reply was it "looks Kool" So this was another flag.. From what I've seen in the past is if an aftermarket part was installed that means there was a deal made on it already.. Now I'm thinking maybe deal fell through... By this time he gets back to me and says the reason why they changed it was cause the original was scratched ...and never responded

So out of my questions re: seeing the MCO and how badly is the screen scratched till now is unanswered

The MCO will be confirmation that the bike has not been titled.. And will gladly go ahead with the purchase but without seeing it And the unwillingness of them to show it to me...will be a deal breaker..... Am I still being unreasonable?

• Member Contributer

Having done this on car and bikes here is the deal.....

If you are willing to pay MSRP then they will take every little picture you want etc.

If you are getting a discounted price, or heavily discounted price do not expect that level of detail. It's not gonna happen.

Ok so I may be overacting on the picture thing... Guess just a bit nervous since I've never done this before... Midwest is a bit far for me to ride back.. I just don't have the time,, so shipping is the only option... So of course I have to scrutinize a bit

As for a salesman spending time with me I disagree with The mailman.. regardless whether I was physically there or not.. I expect the same treatment, I understand he's got other tasks, and so do I.. I don't sit in my office and pester him every hour to send me a pic. .. We corresponded 3 times in a span of 2 days.... Is that being excessive? And I'm not working them for every dime.. I simply asked if we can make the advertised price the OTD price? ... Is that nickel and Diming them ? I don't think so. That is, in my experience the way to break the ice...

And it was simple questions that I asked...the bike is new never titled? Then is it possible to see the MCO.? I read the 12's have LED taillights, is this true? Then I asked to take closer shots of the front cause they installed an aftermarket screen, I expressed I didn't like it, so he offered to ship the original with the bike ... Great !, then I ask why was the screen changed , reply was it "looks Kool" So this was another flag.. From what I've seen in the past is if an aftermarket part was installed that means there was a deal made on it already.. Now I'm thinking maybe deal fell through... By this time he gets back to me and says the reason why they changed it was cause the original was scratched ...and never responded

So out of my questions re: seeing the MCO and how badly is the screen scratched till now is unanswered

The MCO will be confirmation that the bike has not been titled.. And will gladly go ahead with the purchase but without seeing it And the unwillingness of them to show it to me...will be a deal breaker..... Am I still being unreasonable?

This is not always true. Some dealers here would install aftermarket exhaust and such on their showroom units. Maybe to get rid of the ugly stock cans, maybe to make a little extra on the bike, dunno.

I doubt the dealer would show you the MCO, but asking for the VIN is reasonable. You can pay autocheck or other sites like that to look up the history.

Really though, if you are that paranoid about it, don't do it.

I bought my first return-to-motorcycling bike from a lawnmower dealer in Indiana, sight unsee, off ebay (yes they posted pics). Had it shipped to my front door, and it landed in pristine condition with less than 1 mile on the clock. They sent me the MSO, which I took to get it titled and registered. No biggie. Yes, there are risks, so make sure the savings are worth it.

For me, a "new" bike is one with 1 mile or less on the clock. 4 miles means it has been test ridden, probably once. Not to say I won't buy it. Just means it isn't "brand new" to me. YMMV.

• Member Contributer

Welcome aboard. We are almost neighbours and should go for a ride sometime.

You are buying new, I presume?

In this case, a dealer should ship it to you with insurance. This will garrantee new condition on arrival.

I bought mine on ebay a year ago this past February from St. Petersburg, FL. This was my first time buying and I didn't give it much thought. I made sure the dealership was reputable and jumped in. The bike was sold with 4 miles and that's what rolled off the delivery truck. I wanted to buy local but absolutely could not beat the price. My dealer would not pay or coordinate shipping but did confirm that Keyboard Shipping was excellent. He also personally watched the bike get loaded and called me as the truck was leaving the dealersip. If you do ship, expect LONG delivery times...3 weeks for me. I think shipping was roughly $550 and was fully insured. Be extremely cautious about shippers. Some of these folks do not carry the proper licensing and I've been told that if they get pulled over then everything aboard gets impounded. I'd recommend Keyboard fully. I read about the windshield. I'd expect a scratch-free OEM windshield or no deal. Hope this helps.

• Member Contributer

Others have posted their opinions and now I will post mine. I view every dealership as being dishonest and untrustworthy until they prove to me otherwise. Once the deal is done you may find it difficult to remedy any problems down the line especially when its a long distance purchases involved. Sales on recreational items have been flat for a few years and most salespeople still want a deal to fall in their lap instead of actually working for the sale. I'm not a difficult or demanding person but I've been ripped off and lied to by multiple dealerships. I've had the following things happen to me by several self proclaimed "honest" dealerships.

1. Have excellent credit and been approved for in-house financing at a lower rate than what was written into the contract when I went to sign the paperwork.
  2. Salesperson adding extended warranty and other optional items to my contract without bothering to ask if I wanted it.
  3. Been told a bike was on the dealership floor and when I got to the dealership to look at it I was notified that it was still in transit from another dealership.
  4. Had "unauthorized" repairs done to my bike while in their service department resulting in a repair bill that was more than double what I was quoted.
  5. Been charged for repair work that was never performed including replacement of parts that were never replaced.
  6. Had bike damaged by service department who tried to hide the damage without notifying me.
  7. Had my bike damaged by their service department only to be told the damage was there when I dropped it off.

Should I go on?

Rollin

• Member Contributer

Rollin - It sounds like you went to our local "Honda Only" dealership, Britt Honda >>> which is now a Doggie Daycare. In today's market, places like that usually fold up pretty quickly.

Their are two honda dealers in Ct. Willows which is in cheshire Ct and libbys which is in New Haven, Ct.

i know libbys will deal well with online buys give them a shot. i have seen vfr's on both showroom floors so i know they have them.

mdange

I would say to ease up. These guys simply WILL NOT spend half of their day taking an entire portfolio of pics for a guy half way across the country. If it is a new bike, it is a new bike and that's it. If you are buying a "NEW" bike, a simple document from the dealership describing it as new and undamaged would suffice. Your vehicle title will also reflect it as being untitled/new. 4 miles is not a ridiculous number of miles either. After servicing a new motorcycle, the next intersection down the road from our last local Honda dealer was good 2 miles one way. Fill fluids, adjust items, ride it 2 down, turn around and ride 2 back. No biggie. As with ANY dealership, (cars/trucks/bikes) the pic you see on line or in the paper is most likely not the actual unit still sitting on the lot. Posting/printing actual photos of every vehicle would be an advertising nightmare for any type of dealership.

It is not often that I stick up for a dealership but this is one time I will. They know that if you are working them over for every last dime, you're also doing it with other dealerships around the country and jumping through a bunch of hoops for you for bottom dollar is not something they favor. Find a reputable dealer and a fair price and go get your bike.

Rollin - It sounds like you went to our local "Honda Only" dealership, Britt Honda >>> which is now a Doggie Daycare. In today's market, places like that usually fold up pretty quickly.

And you advised to just let it be on your first reply.. You're full of shit

It is exactly what Rollin Again expressed that I don't want to fuckin deal with.. I deal with it enough locally

Please read post #6

mdange

Thanks for the tip but unfortunately both places don't have the 12's

Welcome aboard. We are almost neighbours and should go for a ride sometime.

You are buying new, I presume?

In this case, a dealer should ship it to you with insurance. This will garrantee new condition on arrival.

Absolutely will join u for a ride once I get another bike... As for shipping the ones I spoke to doesn't want to take responsibility, Dealers are bad enough to deal with warranty, guarantee issues.. Can you imagine a carrier / hauler all I see with that is a long drawn out fight between the 2 parties

I bought mine on ebay a year ago this past February from St. Petersburg, FL. This was my first time buying and I didn't give it much thought. I made sure the dealership was reputable and jumped in. The bike was sold with 4 miles and that's what rolled off the delivery truck. I wanted to buy local but absolutely could not beat the price. My dealer would not pay or coordinate shipping but did confirm that Keyboard Shipping was excellent. He also personally watched the bike get loaded and called me as the truck was leaving the dealersip. If you do ship, expect LONG delivery times...3 weeks for me. I think shipping was roughly $550 and was fully insured. Be extremely cautious about shippers. Some of these folks do not carry the proper licensing and I've been told that if they get pulled over then everything aboard gets impounded. I'd recommend Keyboard fully. I read about the windshield. I'd expect a scratch-free OEM windshield or no deal. Hope this helps.

It sounds like over all you had a pleasant experience.. Hoping mine will be the same.. But from the first impressions I'm getting I doubt these establishments are not reputable especially the one that I asked to show me proof that the bike was new..by showing me the MCO.. Someone here would disagree with my request but it is on file at thier delaership all they have to do is just show it me... Is that so unreasonable.. If I was showed that document...My next reply would be "where do I sign" such a little thing and they couldn't or wouldn't show me proof... Says a lot about an establishment who's in the business to sell

I have at least another 2 weeks to shop nationally... But honestly I think I will just stick with getting robbed locally with a 13 model

All this leg work and dealing with such bottom feeders really is not worth the $1200- $1500 in discounts (with travel and or shipping expenses factored in) and really don't want to invest the time and energy

It's bad enough some jerk off interrupted my riding season just when the weather started to get stable

(T-boned at intersection, totaled 2013 Diavel Dark)

• Member Contributer

I don't think you will have a problem with any reputable, long standing Honda dealer IF you fly in fly out (since you state that you don't have the time to fly in ride home) and inspect what you are getting, put any "we owe" work in writing and turn it over to them to ship (with a licensed carrier and proper insurance).

and I don't think that mailman is "full of shit" he stated that dealers like that don't stay in business long...I don't see that as contradictory to his earlier statement.

sooooo, if you are make such a huge ordeal about it just suck it up and pay the extra $5,000 or whatever someone close by wants and don't be a cry baby about it.

sooooo, if you are make such a huge ordeal about it just suck it up and pay the extra $5,000 or whatever someone close by wants and don't be a cry baby about it.

this.

You asked for opinions, you got a few....but IMO you had your mind made up what you were gonna do and not do before you asked.

Going through life thinking every dealership is out to take your lunch money sucks the fun out of it.

Salesmen can do whatever they want - you'll deal with the finance guy/gal to sign ze paperz, who will go through your paperwork step by step, try to sell you extended warranties and such - no big mysteries there.

You have plenty of chances to say "no, this isn't right" and move on...try to go into the experience with an open mind, a cheerful disposition...but vette the dealerships and find out who you want to buy from before you buy that plane ticket.

• Member Contributer

It is exactly what Rollin Again expressed that I don't want to fuckin deal with.. I deal with it enough locally

Please read post #6

You're funny - or maybe it's just New Yorkers. Maybe if you learn to chill out a bit Leo, people will be more willing to work with you. Then again, I live in a place where a lot of things get done on a handshake and a man's word. Best wishes buddy :musik20:

Corner carver.. I guess I read it wrong , but that is how I deciphered it .. But whatever,, just like all the replies here its just my opinion

Blakebird.. Yes I asked for opinions, and No my mind was not set on what I was going to do..

saving a few grand and making somewhat an adventure out of the experience really interested me

But I did not know that the heavier discounts came with such resistance.. C'mon you are not selling such a hot commodity if so

It wouldn't be sitting on your showroom floor and dealers would be ordering like mad to ensure they had plenty of stock for 2013

This is not what I see with this model.. Instead I get a very common replies when inquiring about the vfr

It's not a big seller, we used to stock it, we just don't carry that model, there's another dealer in the next town I think they use to stock it.. It just doesnt sell, and im not going to stock something that just doesn't sell..

Bottom line what turned me off to this method of purchase is the resistance and unwillingness to try and get a deal going,, and again in my opinion were simple requests, the last dealers bike was a little suspect to me, instead of trying to put the potential buyer at ease they did the opposite, From the replies here i understand now that they don't owe me a thing, but if you'd rather have that unit sit there, it's ok with me.. No loss here.. Now the ones that were talking also had a degree of resistance but was willing to spend the money to fly out to inspect the bike, so there would be no doubt in my mind..but once I received their OTD price for a 2012 minus taxes was not so far from the pre tax quotes I'm getting locally for a 2013... Then factoring in the round trip airfare and shipping, narrowed the margin even more This is when I made up my mind to just buy local, I can use the plane fare and shipping money to pay the sales tax

Thank you all for your opinions suggestions

But I did not know that the heavier discounts came with such resistance.. C'mon you are not selling such a hot commodity if so

It wouldn't be sitting on your showroom floor and dealers would be ordering like mad to ensure they had plenty of stock for 2013

The bikes don't sell briskly at MSRP, but when the heavy discounts happen - then they move quickly.

DFW Honda picked up five 2012's, and by the time I had started looking and saw their ad, they were down to two.

A couple of other shops that I'd swapped emails with or called on the phone, had sold the bikes in their ads, the ads had not been pulled yet.

Of the half dozen ads for discounted 2012's I saw....they were selling so fast that I was about to miss out if I didn't act....and I didn't want a '10 at this point, I had my mind made up the '12 was worth going for.

When I was down in Dallas actually doing the deal on mine, the one they had left on the showroom floor was probably going to sell that weekend.

They know once they've got them heavily discounted that they will sell, and sell quickly. If I wasn't prepared to put money in their hands....the next guy would.

These are not bikes they got in stock the normal way - these discounted ones were bought at Honda auction at heavily discounted prices to the dealers, then they blew them out at $10,999 (some more, some less)

They're not sitting on a slow seller they paid full boat for, they got a discount and are blowing them thru the place quickly at fire sale prices. The motivation you expect from them just isn't there.

So I called on a Wednesday, left a deposit over the phone, and flew down Friday morning.....early enough that my cab pulled up to the shop as they were wheeling bikes out.

Please read post #6

You're funny - or maybe it's just New Yorkers. Maybe if you learn to chill out a bit Leo, people will be more willing to work with you. Then again, I live in a place where a lot of things get done on a handshake and a man's word. Best wishes buddy :musik20:

So you get it when I said "you're full of shit" it's just a Brooklyn thing,, in normal conversation amongst friends.. I'm glad you didnt take offense, if you did I apologize, cause I forget at times these forums goes well beyond the Tri state area

I don't think I could of been more relaxed when I spoke to these people, I had to, this is something that I have no experience with

And would like to know all the details.

So I've tried to go the long distance route with the heavy discount, but didn't like what I experienced

A local dealers number for a 13 is at 14,500 minus tax and tags a dealer from NC for a 12 got his numbers to 13,599 of course minus tax and tags.... Factor in my flight and shipping basically evens it out ...might as well take this money to pay the tax

The bikes don't sell briskly at MSRP, but when the heavy discounts happen - then they move quickly.

DFW Honda picked up five 2012's, and by the time I had started looking and saw their ad, they were down to two.

A couple of other shops that I'd swapped emails with or called on the phone, had sold the bikes in their ads, the ads had not been pulled yet.

Of the half dozen ads for discounted 2012's I saw....they were selling so fast that I was about to miss out if I didn't act....and I didn't want a '10 at this point, I had my mind made up the '12 was worth going for.

When I was down in Dallas actually doing the deal on mine, the one they had left on the showroom floor was probably going to sell that weekend.

They know once they've got them heavily discounted that they will sell, and sell quickly. If I wasn't prepared to put money in their hands....the next guy would.

These are not bikes they got in stock the normal way - these discounted ones were bought at Honda auction at heavily discounted prices to the dealers, then they blew them out at $10,999 (some more, some less)

They're not sitting on a slow seller they paid full boat for, they got a discount and are blowing them thru the place quickly at fire sale prices. The motivation you expect from them just isn't there.

So I called on a Wednesday, left a deposit over the phone, and flew down Friday morning.....early enough that my cab pulled up to the shop as they were wheeling bikes out.

Is this a trade secret when they pick up at manufacturer auction or is it known to the MC world.. I didn't know till you mentioned it

Guess what I'm saying if it's not such a huge secret why don't the dealer educate the consumer a little that these are brand new units bought in bulk or whatever and explain because of this we really can't discount it even further.. Is this bad practice ?

• Member Contributer

Please read post #6

So you get it when I said "you're full of shit" it's just a Brooklyn thing,, in normal conversation amongst friends.. I'm glad you didnt take offense, if you did I apologize, cause I forget at times these forums goes well beyond the Tri state area

I don't think I could of been more relaxed when I spoke to these people, I had to, this is something that I have no experience with

So I've tried to go the long distance route with the heavy discount, but didn't like what I experienced

A local dealers number for a 13 is at 14,500 minus tax and tags a dealer from NC for a 12 got his numbers to 13,599 of course minus tax and tags.... Factor in my flight and shipping basically evens it out ...might as well take this money to pay the tax

I just wouldn't pay that, it's too much. Considering they have been blowing out 2012's, what do you think that is going to do to resale?

I would take some more time, if a 2012 is really what you want, and either buy used or keep searching for a blowout price as there is bound to be some more. The improvements on the 2012 aren't worth $4500 more than I paid 3 months ago.

Please read post #6

I just wouldn't pay that, it's too much. Considering they have been blowing out 2012's, what do you think that is going to do to resale?

I would take some more time, if a 2012 is really what you want, and either buy used or keep searching for a blowout price as there is bound to be some more. The improvements on the 2012 aren't worth $4500 more than I paid 3 months ago.

I really don't care so much about the resale, I'm already choosing a not so mainstream bike, plus I usually get turned on by something else the following year and end up trading.. So loosing money is somewhat a routine with this hobby. The high from the new bike ootweighs the loss and being this is really my only hobby / passion, my happiness is more important.. this attitude stems From my really bad MC accident a few yrs ago.. And changed my way of thinking... I'm sure my financial decisions are not of the healthiest

But it does wonders for mental health with a no regrets kind of thing ... And recently my newly acquired outlook on life of live now, has been proven again

Is the 2012 what I really want ? All I want is a reasonable transaction.. With the above statement, I do have limits I'm not completely gone.. Lol, and know what I can and can not afford.. It would be great to get one at a blow out rate that would be just icing on the cake for me. Waiting on 3 more replies from dealers in the south before I close the doors on the long distance purchase,, that road trip adventure thing is really appealing

• Member Contributer

To me, buying long distance and making a road trip out oif it would be one of the major reasons to not buy locally. Saving little coin in the process is icing on the cake.

I can understand Leo's reluctance to put too much faith in the dealers he's contacted. Sounds like mismatched photos and at least slightly suspect info are to blame. Spending this kind of money I'd be hesitant, too. But these are NEW bikes and any problems should be covered by the dealer, or insurance if the bike is shipped.

Personally, I'd try to find the time to fly out and ride back. Sounds like that's not an option for Leo. That might be what I end up doing when I buy my next bike, though it likely won't be a new bike - probably more like an Ebay or forum purchase. I'd love to get to know my new bike with a nice, long road trip. :smile:

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, Leo. And don't forget to post a couple photos of the bike you end up with! :fing02:

Archived