Out Of State Purchase

Guest Leo167

• Member Contributer

And you advised to just let it be on your first reply.. You're full of shit

It is exactly what Rollin Again expressed that I don't want to fuckin deal with.. I deal with it enough locally

Please read post #6

You're funny - or maybe it's just New Yorkers. Maybe if you learn to chill out a bit Leo, people will be more willing to work with you. Then again, I live in a place where a lot of things get done on a handshake and a man's word. Best wishes buddy :musik20:

So you get it when I said "you're full of shit" it's just a Brooklyn thing,, in normal conversation amongst friends.. I'm glad you didnt take offense, if you did I apologize, cause I forget at times these forums goes well beyond the Tri state area

I don't think I could of been more relaxed when I spoke to these people, I had to, this is something that I have no experience with

And would like to know all the details.

So I've tried to go the long distance route with the heavy discount, but didn't like what I experienced

A local dealers number for a 13 is at 14,500 minus tax and tags a dealer from NC for a 12 got his numbers to 13,599 of course minus tax and tags.... Factor in my flight and shipping basically evens it out ...might as well take this money to pay the tax

I just wouldn't pay that, it's too much. Considering they have been blowing out 2012's, what do you think that is going to do to resale?

I would take some more time, if a 2012 is really what you want, and either buy used or keep searching for a blowout price as there is bound to be some more. The improvements on the 2012 aren't worth $4500 more than I paid 3 months ago.

I really don't care so much about the resale, I'm already choosing a not so mainstream bike, plus I usually get turned on by something else the following year and end up trading.. So loosing money is somewhat a routine with this hobby. The high from the new bike ootweighs the loss and being this is really my only hobby / passion, my happiness is more important.. this attitude stems From my really bad MC accident a few yrs ago.. And changed my way of thinking... I'm sure my financial decisions are not of the healthiest

But it does wonders for mental health with a no regrets kind of thing ... And recently my newly acquired outlook on life of live now, has been proven again

Is the 2012 what I really want ? All I want is a reasonable transaction.. With the above statement, I do have limits I'm not completely gone.. Lol, and know what I can and can not afford.. It would be great to get one at a blow out rate that would be just icing on the cake for me. Waiting on 3 more replies from dealers in the south before I close the doors on the long distance purchase,, that road trip adventure thing is really appealing

I will post once more as you are going to do what you want irregardless of what is posted here.

The 2012, just isn't worth $14k, it's just not. At least not to me, and not in this universe. 2012's can be found for $9999-10,999. 2010's are going for $8600-10,000 depending on new/used. If you step away from this, for a moment, a nice used 2010, for $8800 or 9k lets say, well that is 5k or more you are saving from buying local. For 5k dollars, wow, you could go put an Ohlins shock on it, redo the forks, get all the luggage, farkle the thing from here until Christmas and I doubt you'd still spend that 5k difference. I understand the cost of being into motorcycles but stupid is as stupid does as Gump says. The difference of 2010 to 2012 models isn't worth that kind of money.

I'm not trying to be rude here, not at all, just trying to help you. At first you were looking at an out of state purchase looking to save some real money then you have moved to "maybe I'll just piss on that idea and go local." I'd take it a step further and go find a 2010 for a KILLER price that way if you decide to trade/sell next year or the year after you lose very, very, little money. These motors are pretty sound as the VFR is always overengineered. Honda knows that the buyers of this bike put way, way, more miles on them compared to sportbike buyers. The Z bomb is pretty damn cheap to remedy the 1st/2nd gear restriction. For less than 1k, you can mount a Bazzaz full setup to include a ZFi to get it fueled absolutely perfect, Traction control with a selector switch so you have more control over it compared to Honda's version that is on or off only, and even a quick shifter, and an auto tune module that will alter air/fuel if you ride elevation, go out of state, etc. The best bike for your money is going to be a bike setup for your weight (suspension modification) and fueled absolutely perfect.

I'm not telling you what to do, just think about it. You could trick that thing out and have a sweet bike.

Good luck with whatever happens. /out

DFW Honda picked up five 2012's, and by the time I had started looking and saw their ad, they were down to two.

A couple of other shops that I'd swapped emails with or called on the phone, had sold the bikes in their ads, the ads had not been pulled yet.

Of the half dozen ads for discounted 2012's I saw....they were selling so fast that I was about to miss out if I didn't act....and I didn't want a '10 at this point, I had my mind made up the '12 was worth going for.

I was so tempted to get the '12. I saw their Craigslist ad even before I read about it here. If I haven't bought the '10 yet, I would've beelined up there with my trailer to haul one back. As it is, I would have to shell out $4k extra to upgrade. Just couldn't pull the trigger on that.

I can understand Leo's reluctance to put too much faith in the dealers he's contacted. Sounds like mismatched photos and at least slightly suspect info are to blame. Spending this kind of money I'd be hesitant, too. But these are NEW bikes and any problems should be covered by the dealer, or insurance if the bike is shipped.

Personally, I'd try to find the time to fly out and ride back. Sounds like that's not an option for Leo. That might be what I end up doing when I buy my next bike, though it likely won't be a new bike - probably more like an Ebay or forum purchase. I'd love to get to know my new bike with a nice, long road trip. :smile:

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, Leo. And don't forget to post a couple photos of the bike you end up with! :fing02:

Agreed.. Nothing like getting to know a bike and breaking her in on a long trip.. A

And you advised to just let it be on your first reply.. You're full of shit

It is exactly what Rollin Again expressed that I don't want to fuckin deal with.. I deal with it enough locally

Please read post #6

You're funny - or maybe it's just New Yorkers. Maybe if you learn to chill out a bit Leo, people will be more willing to work with you. Then again, I live in a place where a lot of things get done on a handshake and a man's word. Best wishes buddy :musik20:

So you get it when I said "you're full of shit" it's just a Brooklyn thing,, in normal conversation amongst friends.. I'm glad you didnt take offense, if you did I apologize, cause I forget at times these forums goes well beyond the Tri state area

I don't think I could of been more relaxed when I spoke to these people, I had to, this is something that I have no experience with

And would like to know all the details.

So I've tried to go the long distance route with the heavy discount, but didn't like what I experienced

A local dealers number for a 13 is at 14,500 minus tax and tags a dealer from NC for a 12 got his numbers to 13,599 of course minus tax and tags.... Factor in my flight and shipping basically evens it out ...might as well take this money to pay the tax

I just wouldn't pay that, it's too much. Considering they have been blowing out 2012's, what do you think that is going to do to resale?

I would take some more time, if a 2012 is really what you want, and either buy used or keep searching for a blowout price as there is bound to be some more. The improvements on the 2012 aren't worth $4500 more than I paid 3 months ago.

I really don't care so much about the resale, I'm already choosing a not so mainstream bike, plus I usually get turned on by something else the following year and end up trading.. So loosing money is somewhat a routine with this hobby. The high from the new bike ootweighs the loss and being this is really my only hobby / passion, my happiness is more important.. this attitude stems From my really bad MC accident a few yrs ago.. And changed my way of thinking... I'm sure my financial decisions are not of the healthiest

But it does wonders for mental health with a no regrets kind of thing ... And recently my newly acquired outlook on life of live now, has been proven again

Is the 2012 what I really want ? All I want is a reasonable transaction.. With the above statement, I do have limits I'm not completely gone.. Lol, and know what I can and can not afford.. It would be great to get one at a blow out rate that would be just icing on the cake for me. Waiting on 3 more replies from dealers in the south before I close the doors on the long distance purchase,, that road trip adventure thing is really appealing

I will post once more as you are going to do what you want irregardless of what is posted here.

The 2012, just isn't worth $14k, it's just not. At least not to me, and not in this universe. 2012's can be found for $9999-10,999. 2010's are going for $8600-10,000 depending on new/used. If you step away from this, for a moment, a nice used 2010, for $8800 or 9k lets say, well that is 5k or more you are saving from buying local. For 5k dollars, wow, you could go put an Ohlins shock on it, redo the forks, get all the luggage, farkle the thing from here until Christmas and I doubt you'd still spend that 5k difference. I understand the cost of being into motorcycles but stupid is as stupid does as Gump says. The difference of 2010 to 2012 models isn't worth that kind of money.

I'm not trying to be rude here, not at all, just trying to help you. At first you were looking at an out of state purchase looking to save some real money then you have moved to "maybe I'll just piss on that idea and go local." I'd take it a step further and go find a 2010 for a KILLER price that way if you decide to trade/sell next year or the year after you lose very, very, little money. These motors are pretty sound as the VFR is always overengineered. Honda knows that the buyers of this bike put way, way, more miles on them compared to sportbike buyers. The Z bomb is pretty damn cheap to remedy the 1st/2nd gear restriction. For less than 1k, you can mount a Bazzaz full setup to include a ZFi to get it fueled absolutely perfect, Traction control with a selector switch so you have more control over it compared to Honda's version that is on or off only, and even a quick shifter, and an auto tune module that will alter air/fuel if you ride elevation, go out of state, etc. The best bike for your money is going to be a bike setup for your weight (suspension modification) and fueled absolutely perfect.

I'm not telling you what to do, just think about it. You could trick that thing out and have a sweet bike.

Good luck with whatever happens. /out

No.. I will not pay $14k for a 12, you are confused on to what I'm tagging as $14k... it's for a 2013 which I'm getting quotes for locally , 2012's are non existent in my area

And yes the potential savings can go into farkles.. But really any bike I gt on I spend minimal on mods not unless it is a drivability improvement

I know you or anyone else that chimes in is not dictating on what should be done.. But appreciate the input and suggestions that I can feed off from

I'm seeing the 12's incloser proximity 250-350 miles from me.. But not at the $10k - $11k more towards the next bracket of. 12-13

Which to me is acceptable and doable for a fly and buy deal.. Not interested in the 10's

As mentioned earlier I have time before I commit to a deal regardless leftover or current..

Can you direct me to the 12's that you see going for in the $10-$11K range, I'm just using cycle trader as a guide

I did not read all comments above, (and don't know if this has been brought up) but if you hire a good bike hauler for shipping, they will go over the bike with a fine tooth comb and list anything that could be claimed to have happen during shipment and hold them responsible for it.

I did not read all comments above, (and don't know if this has been brought up) but if you hire a good bike hauler for shipping, they will go over the bike with a fine tooth comb and list anything that could be claimed to have happen during shipment and hold them responsible for it.

I think briefly at one point, and did do some research earlier with good results.. Right now still trying to locate an out of state dealer that's willing to deal

This is just one example:

Yesterday.. for shits and giggles, spoke to a dealer in Oakland Fla. .. They have a 2012 listed for $13,999.00 .. I asked would you accept $13,999 OTD, With me doing my own taxes and tags

All I get back is I doubt it very much because they still have to add freight / prep / and a $275 fee.. Which he couldn't tell me what for.... He didn't even want to bring it to the manager, I asked to speak to the manager.. Now he changes his mind and asked me for my contact info so he can ask.... Knowing that he had no intention to relay the offer to his manager....I called later that day and immediately asked for the manager.. His reply was I can do $13,999 but still have to charge the $275 administrative / dealer fee

So this comes to $14, 274 for a 2012, I replied, my local dealers are quoting me $14,499 - $14,799 for a 2013.. before taxes....... He answered , well that's the price nothing he can do about it

Stated in an earlier post I'm willing to pay up to $13 before taxes for a 2012, but from my experience with dealing with dealers outside my perimeter just proved to be difficult, and probably be just better off dealing local for a 2013

• Member Contributer

I have done a fly and buy from out of country - and I would do it again without hesitation.

I made sure that the purchase deal laid out that it was a new vehicle in pristine condition (no scratches or damage). Once that is written into the deal it is what I expect when I pick up the bike. I would worry a lot more about doing so with a used bike if I didn't know the person I was purchasing from. A new bike from an established dealership is a guarantee of what you are purchasing.

I have done a fly and buy from out of country - and I would do it again without hesitation.

I made sure that the purchase deal laid out that it was a new vehicle in pristine condition (no scratches or damage). Once that is written into the deal it is what I expect when I pick up the bike. I would worry a lot more about doing so with a used bike if I didn't know the person I was purchasing from. A new bike from an established dealership is a guarantee of what you are purchasing.

That is why I prefer not to get a used bike

Did you say out of the country?

• Member Contributer

Yes. http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/63326-the-canadian-caper-turning-my-new-vfr-into-a-real-adventure-final-installment/

(Did the same sort of thing in 2012 - except that time I purchased a pre-owned bike from a friend.)

For me it's not just the purchase - it is the ride home that really makes it worthwhile!

Yes. http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/63326-the-canadian-caper-turning-my-new-vfr-into-a-real-adventure-final-installment/

(Did the same sort of thing in 2012 - except that time I purchased a pre-owned bike from a friend.)

For me it's not just the purchase - it is the ride home that really makes it worthwhile!

Nice write up ... That little Surprise you had with the 07 is exactly what I'm afraid of running into myself, I don't think I would be able to keep my kool as well as you

• Member Contributer

Leo - everything was taken care of. When there was an issue with what the dealership was selling me I insisted that they resolve it. They did just that. Not a problem. Issues were resolved to my satisfaction before I made final agreement on the purchase, wired my downpayment and well before I set foot in the States.

It is a question of being clear about your expectations up front.

Leo - everything was taken care of. When there was an issue with what the dealership was selling me I insisted that they resolve it. They did just that. Not a problem. Issues were resolved to my satisfaction before I made final agreement on the purchase, wired my downpayment and well before I set foot in the States.

It is a question of being clear about your expectations up front.

You were not clear with your request / inquiry ?

• Member Contributer

...."cause I forget at times these forums goes well beyond the Tri state area"

Lol- typical New Yorker.

Give southern powersports in Chattanooga a try. I don't know anything about their service dept, but I've purchased 3 Hondas from them without any issues. Called ahead, put a small credit card deposit, and they had the bikes ready when I got there. All three times I was in and out in less than two hours.

AL

NYC Escapee

...."cause I forget at times these forums goes well beyond the Tri state area"

Lol- typical New Yorker.

Give southern powersports in Chattanooga a try. I don't know anything about their service dept, but I've purchased 3 Hondas from them without any issues. Called ahead, put a small credit card deposit, and they had the bikes ready when I got there. All three times I was in and out in less than two hours.

AL

NYC Escapee

I called them yesterday, no one picked up?? Left a message .. so waiting for a return call

NYC Escapee... LOl

Archived