What Digital Dash Is Easiest To Fit 4Th Gen

Guest Jerseyt

Guest Jerseyt

Hi there I'm new
I've inherited 4th gen Vfr 750 my dad tried to strip it down and turn into a track bike he stripped the wiring loom and took the clocks apart and cut it up just to run the rev counter. With most of the parts missing fairings and other minor parts I thought to turn it into a street fighter would be easiest option.
So what is the easiest digital dash to fit I see these ones that you have to put a sensor on the brake disc for speed what model can you just wire up?

Any help is appreciated
Mike

If I were you, I would look into a Trailtech Vapor. I run one on my DRZ and it has taken continuous abuse for the past two and a half years. Far more than one would ever see on a VFR. The Vapor functions as a speedo (magnetic pick up on the brake), temperature guage, tachometer, clock, lap timer, trip meter, and an odometer. There may be another function I'm missing...idk. You can purchase the unit for around $90 new. I ditched the plastic bar clamp that came with mine and cut a piece of aluminum to mount it to. If you want, Trailtech even sales a dash mount for an additional $40. Look around on sites like ADVrider, Tthumpertalk, and Fleabay. You may be able to pick one up used for a much more reasonable price.

• Member Contributer

bicycle computer wireless speedo. :comp13:

the 4th gen has a mechanical speedo.. so the fastest simplest way is a bike speedo. lots of streetfighters use them.

Guest Jerseyt

Yeah but I want rev and temp gauge the old clocks have been cut the rev counter is currently all I have but it's electrical taped into a plastic pot I don't fancy trying to make a housing for it

Guest Jerseyt

nar he used to race at isle of man on nortons and on tz350's he was going to strip the starter and everything that wasnt needed. but he stripped the loom right back. then he retired and went to traveling in motorhome round southern spain and i have no clue about what he was doing so there were wires everywhere i thought to take the easy option and get it on the road as i havent been on a bike for a year.

plus thanks didnt think to run the cable down the brake line

• Member Contributer

hit a breaker yard. get a new harness and a stock dash :wink:

if you where over here up the road at Warrington PA.. i would take a look at it myself. :unclesam:

Guest Jerseyt

I've bought harness and ordered rh switch gear and ignition barrel hopefully get it running this weekend. you don't happen to know wether to wire the side stand open or closed

• Member Contributer

I don't remember.. I think you can just unplug it.. it that doesn't work. Use a test up wire.

If that works.. then cut the wires and soilder them up :)

Just don't drive with your kickstand down :P

• 8 months later...