My Vf500 Exhaust System

Guest VF500FInterceptor

Guest VF500FInterceptor

So I was reading something the other day, and the guy was talking about the catalytic converter on his bike. I always thought Motorcycles did not have them. Am I off on this? I can't seam to really find any information about one for my bike so I wasn't sure. I did do some other research, and read about another guy who totally took his off, to help with weight. As I am turning mine into a Street Fighter, this really got my attention. Anyone got any thoughts on this? Also anyone else on here done a street fighter? Was wondering what other emissions stuff I can take off.

As always, thanks for the input!

• Member Contributer

there is no factory catalytic converter on the VF500's... there IS a collector box, however - basically merges all the headers together, and then back out to the exhaust cans.. it is heavy, but it also works fairly well.

• Member Contributer

The VF500 has a lot of Foo Foo Rah (emissions crap) to remove but no Cat... take a look...

post-3131-0-04405900-1367442215.jpg

so if you cut it open you can just remove that stuff? Is there any other "emissions crap" on the bike you can get rid of? Again I am trying to lighten the bike.

• Member Contributer

There were a few postings how those collector boxes work really well as far as power output goes, so maybe don't want to mess with it.

the weight savings is real. the single can on the left weighs about the same as the entire system that I put on.

112_8735_zps836da0d0.jpg

• Member Contributer

The factory system (i.e. the collector box) does a good job of evening out the exhaust flow. One thing you don't want to do is open it up and remove the internals.

On this note, aftermarket systems, for the most part, decrease engine performance on the mighty 500.

If going with a 4-2 aftermarket setup two things to look for:

• system should be paired with cylinders 1|3 and 2|4
  • system should have exhaust runs of equal length, i.e. staggered mufflers

Good luck with your project!

Archived