My Trusty Steed Did Not Leave Me Stranded

• Member Contributer

Monday was a nice day here in the NW so I figured I would blow the dust off the VFR, I would use her for the commute after a nice ride in, I was leaving work for my 25 mile freeway commute when about 5 miles in my speedo quit and she started running a little less crisper than usual.....Oh wait I know what this is....my memory going back to July 2007 when leaving Laguna Seca for the ride home after the Motogp she had the same symptoms. But unlike 2007 with me stuck on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, She decided that I did not need that after a hard day at work. As I was trying to move over to the left lane to the next exit I pulled in the clutch to help coast further if needed.....she popped back to life :cheerleader: woo hoo....... So as soon as I arrived home pulled the seat off and of course I had left my multimeter at the other house.....so I turned her off. Then I decided to temp fate again and see if she would start......no juice, so I plugged her back into the battery tender and as of the next morning she is back charged and starting. Now that I have just picked up another Meter I can start troubleshooting. New battery 10/2011 new reg/rect back in 07/2007 back at 45k she is now over 93k so I guess that is good life if it turns out to be the R/R. As fate would have it I just received my $.02 new battery from the Delco batteries for 50% off post, I guess that I must be doing something right :blush: I will update as soon as I get a chance to check her out.....Having another Bike is GREAT......

• Member Contributer

quick update: Voltage at battery13.04, at idle 12.9, 5K 13.5 so it looks like the stator.....I am hoping to get a chance to test more this weekend. Same symptoms that my old CX had before I had to replace her's

• Member Contributer

You may want to check the wiring harness before shelling out the cash for the stator. I just installed a VFRness. For 10k miles, I'd see 12.3V at idle and 13.6V at 5k. After just the new harness, I'm 1V higher at both ranges.

• Member Contributer

Not yet, too many other things happening....trying to get things tied up so next week when I go to Mazatlan I can enjoy myself :beer: Although I did pick up 2 used/test good stators for a total of $60.00 So I will be prepared. Replacing the stator on the VFR is a cake walk compared to the old Cx's :wacko: So it shouldn't be a big deal. So while I have her undressed my plan is to get the paint done! I am still enjoying riding the NC so that alleviates the VFR withdrawal :wheel: Mt Baker looked promising on the way home tonight!!

• Member Contributer

Mazatlan?!??!? Wow!! Nice. Well, I wish you a great trip, and I hope you have a great time.

Hit me up on email or something when you're back, in a few weeks, maybe my vfr will be insured and we can do Baker.

C

• Member Contributer

well after a nice morning of no wheel therapy....(taking my bike apart to get ready for paint when I get back from vacation) I did some further testing and believe that now I have a couple of extra stators now to go with everything else I have... Stator checks out fine, one bad connection of the three yellows plugging into R/R one kind of krispy. That would explain the fluctuating 12.6 to 13.5 at idle and 13.8 at 5k at the battery. So it looks like I will utilize our Electronic Service Dept to build me a better harness & connector....one of the fringe benefits of work! I did not get a chance to tear apart the connector and double check but I will when I return!!! After reading all the horror stories I am glad my gal took me into consideration and waited till we got home to let me know she needed attention :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived