What Are The Best Gloves And/or Grips To Get For Long Distance Riding?

Guest jhanso18

Guest jhanso18

Call me a squid or a wusse, but I just can't seem to ride for more than a couple hours with out my hand/elbow getting some pain and numbness. Is there a good glove with a lot of padding, or grips maybe that will help. I have a couple ideas, but was hoping for some input.

(I tried the search function, and either it sucks, or I'm a tard...)

Anyway, thanks in advance, Justin

I have an 08 & ride for 4-5 hrs once every week on stock grips, rev'it rsv gloves & recently added a cramp buster. After getting the cramp buster all the issues i had with my hand went away. The sore elbow is still there sometimes if I'm tucked on the hwy with wind.

• Member Contributer

(I tried the search function, and either it sucks, or I'm a tard...)

I know the feeling. On my 3rd gen, a throttle lock helped tremendously. I don't like overly thick gloves because I can't feel anything.

• Member Contributer

Above suggestions are all good. Don't take this one wrong...I have no idea of your experience/length of time riding. Are you overweight significantly and/or what is your shoulder health like? Problems in the shoulder/neck can lead to hand/arm pain/numbness. Practice riding straights with the lightest grip possible on the bars (link only index finger and thumb), flexing your gut to support your upper body and stabilizing your upper body by squeezing the tank with your knees and flexing your heels into your rearsets...you should be able to reduce or eliminate all weight on your wrists and hands.

Get yourself a cheap beginners Yoga DVD and stretch and strengthen your core paying special attention to your shoulders...

Hope this helps. If you already know all this, please disregard.

• Member Contributer

Some people like thin grips, some like fatter grips. I put grip puppies on any Honda I've owned as I feel like their grips are so thin. You can also skip the expensive moto gloves and search the work gloves at Home Depot or Lowes or some workwear or tool store. You can get gloves with gel palms for a LOT less than at a cycle shop. Won't have the knuckle protection, but worth a shot.

Above suggestions are all good. Don't take this one wrong...I have no idea of your experience/length of time riding. Are you overweight significantly and/or what is your shoulder health like? Problems in the shoulder/neck can lead to hand/arm pain/numbness. Practice riding straights with the lightest grip possible on the bars (link only index finger and thumb), flexing your gut to support your upper body and stabilizing your upper body by squeezing the tank with your knees and flexing your heels into your rearsets...you should be able to reduce or eliminate all weight on your wrists and hands.

Get yourself a cheap beginners Yoga DVD and stretch and strengthen your core paying special attention to your shoulders...

Non taken. I am a bit over weight, but I also have chronic neck and back pain. I'm sure it's part of it, but I try to struggle through. I have done a bit of yoga, need to do more, and I know it would help.

I'm going to try some of the other suggestions, and see if they help.

Thanks everyone, CHEERS!!!!

• Member Contributer

Non taken. I am a bit over weight, but I also have chronic neck and back pain. I'm sure it's part of it, but I try to struggle through. I have done a bit of yoga, need to do more, and I know it would help.

I'm going to try some of the other suggestions, and see if they help.

Thanks everyone, CHEERS!!!!

There are Yoga classes for older/injured folks that don't make you feel like an inflexible tard. I found one that was specifically for middle-aged men that wanted more flexibilty for golf, etc. It focused more on gentle stretching than crazy Yoga-Nazi poses. You might find something similar...

• Member Contributer

+1 to 2thdr. Body position helps a lot with wrists. Use those abs to take weight off your arms.

Glove wise, there are a ton of options that work well. There are the multitude of race gauntlet gloves. I wear A*s SP1s (or SP2). Comfortable enough. Held makes a few, like the Steve is a thinner but super comfy glove with no hard protection, only the leather. The thicker rain gloves I have aren't bad either. Not as good of a feel as the race gloves, but after 5 minutes you adjust and don't notice. Either way, get a good set of gloves. Unless you don't care if your hands get torn up, then don't get gloves, or get work gloves, or those fingerless bicycle gloves.

Gel grips and heavier bar ends are what will help the vibrations, not gloves.

• 1 month later...
As far as gloves go I really like the Pearl Izumi Gel Vent Pro model. I am not generally a fan of gel gear, but really like these gloves especially in the heat.

Do you have bar risers or anything that moves the clip ons up and back? That may be the trick to get more weight off your wrists if your lower back and abs aren't capable of keeping the weight off your wrists.

Archived