Tanked Saddle Bags

kc5555

bought these from here...because they were cheap and on the odd occasion I need to carry something, I'd have a set.

http://dx.com/p/tanked-tmb07-motorcycle-rack-suits-side-luggage-travelling-bag-saddlebag-black-2-pcs-171922

There is a saying I forget to remind myself about. "You cannot afford to be cheap"

These are not great. Seams seem weak, the zippers are weak and I dont think they'd last more than a couple of weekend trips. There are 2 large velcro straps that join them as well as 2 very cheap plastic buckles. Their configuration and application dont really work (they overlap each other. If one was intended to sit under the seat, they dont).

Also, no side tie downs, these babies are going to flap in the wind if not weighted.

All in all, should have spent more on quality. Lesson learned, again. :mellow:

+ 1 on Ventura luggage. I've used their 46L tail pack for many years and some big miles. The real convenience and economy, for me, is the short and the tall vertical hoops adapt to many of the support frames that are likely different between certain bikes. IOW: I have one tall hoop for the tall tail pack that fits the Ventura support frames on 4 different bikes. I always ride with the tail pack resting on the seat cowl/pillion, as in the earlier post. It centralizes weight somewhat and additionally leaves space for a lighter pack over the tail light.

btw: I've lost factory, hard saddle bags that were latched onto OEM carriers. And I don't care for tail cases because they ride high and tend to unload the front end. Good fortune, R3~

Yeah in Spain they say "Cheap things turn out to be Expensive".

Funny what roebling mentions about OEM hardbags getting "lost"... I understand you mean to say they fell off while you were in motion or they were torn off the mounts by some lowdown theiving git on leaving the bike parked somewhere.

I have heard of a few accounts of OEM hardbags coming adrift on the highway, unawares to the rider.

In reply to the OP, I bought a fairly cheap double tiered tankbag... the brand was Saiko and it was really quite well made and robust, even had a robust wet weather cover... lasted so long I actually gave it on to the guy who bought my fifth gen as I got a bagster thrown in with the 6th gen I bought.

• Member Contributer

I read the entier thread and still didn't understand the title...until I clicked on the link to the cheap saddle bags.

I kept expecting to see a set of soft saddle bags so poorly made that you had to ride with them across the tank for fear they would disintegrate if left out back in the wind.

Thanks for the heads up. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I read the entier thread and still didn't understand the title...until I clicked on the link to the cheap saddle bags.

. :fing02:

Likewise, when I first clicked on it I was expecting to see TANKED SADDLE BAGS. I was wondering how the hell you could turn. HA!

Archived