Motul 7.5 Wt Fork Oil

Guest JeffLaurence

• Member Contributer

It should ... I think you are looking at about 16 oz per fork but don't measure it that way, measure height down from the top of the fork tube and follow the instructions in the manual on cycling the cartridge as you fill them.

• Member Contributer

Yes, one liter should do it. I wouldn't go with the 7.5w though. I would use the 5w, even that is a ltitle thick. You really want something with a viscosity in the 15-17cSt range if possible,.

Yes, one liter should do it. I wouldn't go with the 7.5w though. I would use the 5w, even that is a ltitle thick. You really want something with a viscosity in the 15-17cSt range if possible,.

Just curious , do you think ss8 is too heavy for the 6th gen, and should run 5 weight or less, with stock valving and springs. It didnt seem to matter with this 4th gens question , without notice of springs or valving?

• Member Contributer

The SS- grade stuff is not a good choice, so aside from the viscosity being wrong I would just avoid it all together. It's not horrible or anything, it's just that for another couple of bucks you can get really good fluid. The Honda Pro Oils 5w is one of the best. There are others that are just as good - only difference being they cost more.

I suggest running fork oil with a viscosity of 15-17cSt for all cartridge forks regardless if they are stock or upgraded - FYI.

Just curious , do you think ss8 is too heavy for the 6th gen, and should run 5 weight or less, with stock valving and springs. It didnt seem to matter with this 4th gens question , without notice of springs or valving?

The SS- grade stuff is not a good choice, so aside from the viscosity being wrong I would just avoid it all together. It's not horrible or anything, it's just that for another couple of bucks you can get really good fluid. The Honda Pro Oils 5w is one of the best. There are others that are just as good - only difference being they cost more.

I suggest running fork oil with a viscosity of 15-17cSt for all cartridge forks regardless if they are stock or upgraded - FYI.

5 weight in the 6th gen, wouldnt work for me, even Maxima 10 weight is too light, in comparison to ss8. Im not sure what cst ss8 is but its definitely heavier than maxima 10 weight. Now if all the valving and springs where changed, 5 weight might work. Without that no way.

I had read in the Honda Shop manual that Honda sb7 ( or close ) was the recommended fork oil. Is Motul 5 weight closer to that than Motul 7.5?

Thanks,

Jeff

One thing Ive found about fork oil, for good or worse, different brands of the same weight are so differnt in action, they change the whole platform. Swapping brands and weights, you can get the Good, the bad, or the ugly action wise.

The only way to get one fork oil to work perfectly, in every type of fork, is to change the valving to work with that particular oil. My experience trying to blanket all forks with one CST catagory of oil without adjusting the above to work with that particular oil, leads right back to the good, the bad , or the ugly in action. Course I actually have to ride it, not the set up guy!

Archived