Chain Cleaning Advice

CHUCK2

• Member Contributer

acetone

Nasty stuff. If you have had good luck with that fine, but look at what it does to bare skin. Instantly takes all the oils out and drys your skin. My fingerti[s actually crack when I get that stuff on them. Will do the same thing to rubber. Or did I misread something here?

• Member Contributer

acetone

Nasty stuff. If you have had good luck with that fine, but look at what it does to bare skin. Instantly takes all the oils out and drys your skin. My fingerti[s actually crack when I get that stuff on them. Will do the same thing to rubber. Or did I misread something here?

Not a lot just a little to thin the AT fluid and it cleans well, never had to where gloves. I installed a DID chain 40,000 miles ago but I will replace it before TMac, just in case.

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

• Member Contributer

A Grunge Brush is a cheap and effective way to get at those hard to reach places. I would stay away from pressure washers and wire brushes.

http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Solutions-RGB800-Grunge-Brush/dp/B0012TPVC0

• Member Contributer

A lot of great advice here and everyone seems to recommend you need to clean that chain and probably replace it... but you knew that already.

Check your owners manual it recommends cleaning with kerosene and lubing with 90 weight oil. Double check the oil weight; I am working from memory. I use an old boot tray under the swing arm to protect the driveway but you can use an old towel, car floor mat, piece of cardboard, etc. Get an old towel or wash cloth rag, one you won't ever want to to use again, and soak it in kerosene and wipe down the chain. You'd be surprised at how easily the old chain lube dissolves. Oh....and a get your self a good pair of nitrile gloves. A box of 100 at Autozone is about ~ $12. After you wipe the chain down, with a liberal supply of kerosene wipe with a clean rag until it is "as clean as you can get it. You will never get it completely clean. I never needed a brush but if you do the I like the idea of an old tooth brush. Go have a beer or putter around doing something else for 20 minutes before you come back and lube the chain. If you are in a hurry you can gently spray the chain with water, I don't like to use water. It can promote rust, get into the o-rings and leave a Valdez size oil slick in you driveway.

Repeat every other tank of gas.

Final disclaimer, dispose of rags, and kerosene in a safe and environmentally responsible manner - whatever that means to you - and never use gasoline or alcohol in place of kerosene as a cleaning solvent - but you knew that already.

With a lot of luck, after you clean you chain it might not looks so bad and you could get a few more miles out of it. Unlikely, but there is always hope :smile:

This ^^ is exactly what I do and my chain stays new looking with only a wipedown prior to lubing. I also found this little gem used by HVAC and appliance contractors to lube hard to reach motors - dispenses oil a drop at a time exactly where you want it and when the spout is retracted, fits perfectly in a quart zip-loc bag. Been using it for 2 years now and it's never leaked a drop. They're $1.49 at the local appliance parts shop.

DSC04297_zpsa4f61d9a.jpg

• 6 months later...

Archived