New Chain/sprockets

Guest IronRaptre

Guest IronRaptre

Hi all. My chain is binding quite a bit at certain spots, and I can feel a bit it in first gear sub 5-10mph, but does not seem to pull me down going any faster. I oil it every 200 miles or so now, even on the stand if I don't choke it up some it rattles and seems moody. I figure it's time for a new chain. While my sprocket doesn't look worn, I've heard that one replaces the chain and sprockets together...
I don't need/want to pay for a premium chain unless that is my only option, but I certainly don't want any thing shoddy on my bike either. Looking on ebay I have no clue what's good or bad, and don't know what sites are best, so I thought I'd ask on here first.
That said:
What do you suggest I look for? Sprocket and chain or just the chain? OEM only, or are some aftermarkets ok?
Where should I go looking?

Thanks!
Raptre

• Member Contributer

I would go for a DID kit. I have good experiance with those.

And they are not expensive.

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk

I installed this chain on my 5th Gen: DID 530ZVMX

It is very heavy duty and I expect it to go 20K miles at least. I replaced my sprockets at the same time with good quality steel versions.

Don't skimp on these items. It will pay off in the long wrong.

Clean and lube your chain every 500 miles or so. Everybody has their own method and plenty of threads on this as well.

IG

so a 520 chain won't last long? the 520 chains are still rated to the power of the VFR, even my buddies z1000 with 120 hp and 70 ft/lbs came with a 520 chain? im guessing they just won't last 20-25k miles like the 530's do on our bikes?

are the 520 chain conversions worth it?

No they are not unless you ride like an old lady, The 530 oem setup is the Bar on longevity

• Member Contributer

No, the 520 chain is much lighter. That's why racers use them, to save weight. But that's at the cost of longevity.

I don't need to save weight, but anything with a >$150 tag might her in the garage a bit longer... :unsure: We'll see what the future holds...

The specifics are really helpful, thank you! Are you just suggesting the DID chain with other sprockets, or that whole DID package is the way to go? Looks like Carbon Steel sprockets on those sets. And is there a difference between the 'gold' version and the others or is that all cosmetic?

• Member Contributer

For a VFR on the road the 530 is the way to go. I have the very set I linked to on my bike now with well over 20K on it. That includes quite a few miles of dirt, rain, and combination. Yes I have done wet dirt twisties on the VFR.

For a track bike I would go with the 520 conversion with an aluminum rear sprocket.

I would love it if they made the 1000cc rated chain with nickel plating, but unfortunately all they have is the gold. Kinda like Ohlins if you want the good stuff you gotta live with the bling.

Archived