Ims Reflections...no Vfr?

RickF

• Member Contributer

Yesterday, I made my annual trek to the Chicago version of the International Motorcycle Show. This
year I was impressed by the displays from the big Japanese and European marks. I was pleasantly surprised to see a prominent display from one of the newest domestic manufacturers,
Polaris/Victory/Indian. BMW and Harley had large displays that reflect their strong position in the market. Even Ducati was present with lots of bikes. Overall, I got the impression that the motorcycle market is preparing for an upswing.

When the VFR1200 came out, I was taken aback by its price increase over the 800. Given my better
understanding of the rest of the market, it now seems priced about right. I am a little surprised by the $37,000+ price for a dressed out Harley, though. In northern Wisconsin, a whole lot of middle age working class and professional guys and gals ‘need’ a pick-up and a Harley…Both of which are heading north of $40,000. In this economy, I wonder if this is sustainable.

My puzzlement is really centered on the VFR. I want to get back on a VFR. Where I live, small dealers in small markets are understandably not prone to stocking the VFR. At this show, Honda did not display a VFR. When I asked the spokesperson why no VFR, she referred me to her manager. He told me that they only display current models at the show. At this time, the current model year VFR is not available. What do you think that means? I find it odd.

• Member Contributer

It means they discontinued the 800. The 1200 is still around, but either they didn't produce any 2013 units (like suzuki did a bit back), or they just didn't bother to bring it.

You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a VFR800 or even a 1200 somewhere on a dealer floor that the dealer is probably looking to unload for whatever they can get. The used market always has a few things, and there's a few bikes posted for sale here now and again.

Trucks are getting expensive. We usually replace our work truck every 6 years or at 300k miles, whichever happens last. Our 03 is at 250k now, but only because we bought a Colorado as a second truck, but that's around 200k as well. If we had to replace the Silverado, first off, we couldn't, because no one makes a work truck anymore (or at least no one has one at a dealership in the entire US), and it would be $38k if it did exist, compared to the $27k we paid for our current one.

• Member Contributer

I'm just checking the Honda Belgium catalog it's not listed anymore, they only list the 1200.

http://www.fl.honda.be/content/motorfietsen/modelen_road_sport.php

Looks like you are right. Sad day for us, as this is really a very good build bike.

• Member Contributer

I am sorry that I was not clear about my question to the Honda rep. I asked him "why do you not have a VFR on display?" I understood him to say that the VFR1200 was not on display because "the presently available 1200 is not a current model. We only bring current models to the show."

Now I wonder what the 2013 VFR1200 seen on the Honda web site represents if not a "current model" . Am I missing something? I wish that I had pressed him further.

• Member Contributer

It's my belief the 1200 is a current model and they stopped producing the 800.

And also on Honda USA only the 1200 is listed, no sign of the 800:

http://powersports.honda.com/street/sport.aspx

And a search reveils nothing either, only 1200's:

http://powersports.honda.com/search.aspx?q=vfr800

Honda display was pathetic at the IMS Dallas. They had more dirt bikes and ATVs than street rides. No VFR1200. A few other mfrs were complete no-shows.

I heard someone else talking about this earlier. I think this is highly representative of the current motorcycle market. I think the technology and corresponding price has come at a bad time, at least in the US, with the weak economy. It just surprises me that it is affecting the expo shows, I would think that is where the manufacturers would want to stir the desires of the consumer. I'm afraid it shows that these very manufacturers are being affected negatively with the poor economy.

With more dirt bikes, etc present, I have to think it is because these are cheaper to produce? I would be surprised if the off-road market is much better than the street bike market.

• Member Contributer

Hopefully the market is starting to turn. The Honda dealer I deal with was pretty down in the dumps in the fall of 2012. Was saying if it were not for the other non motorcycle items he sells (Honda Marine and Honda Power Equipment) he would be in serious trouble. I heard the same story from the Honda dealer in Edmonton when I went through there and had my bike serviced. Flip forward to a conversation with my local dealer after the two motorcycle shows and it sounds like he did very well right on the show floor. He said the new Honda bikes were moving very well and thought they could have a very good spring. Sounded like a new man. Hopefully it works out he's a good guy who has been a pleasure to deal with.

• Member Contributer

Honda display was pathetic at the IMS Dallas. They had more dirt bikes and ATVs than street rides. No VFR1200. A few other mfrs were complete no-shows.

Yes it was pathetic but so was last year's show. Every year in Dallas it has been worse for the past 5 years. The show is a small reflection of what it used to be but that is down to the economy and ever increasing fuel prices.

I have 2 Honda dealers within 10 minutes of my house and 3 Yamaha dealers. Like Starbucks or McDonalds they are oversaturated and I think we'll see some close at some point.

Of the Big 4, only Kawasaki have been big on the new model offensive in recent years (C14, ZX14R, Ninja 1000, Z1000, Zx10R, Ninja 300, 636, etc.) Suzuki has been deathly quiet. Yamaha only came up with a few derivatives of existing models (FZ8, SCL, FJR). Honda only just recently started to introduce brand new models.

The Europeans OTOH have been getting after it and kicking ass. I sure hope the Japanese could get back on the horse and even the scores a little.

Archived