Rim Stripes, Need Some Advice!

Audigier

Hello, Im buying a new set of tire and while i have the rims off the bike i want to repaint them, the bike came with red rim stripes that match the bikes color, i want to get those stripes after paiting.

while looking at ebay thy sell a roll with an applicator that i believe you just slide it around the rim and the applicator helps you installing them properly, other sellers sell the stripes pre-curved stickers,

i dont know which to get, i want to install and then apply a clear coat to protect them.

Have you purchased and installed this stuff yourself? What would you recommend??

kgrhqjqqenjqfhvbbqmj2cf.jpg
img1796jr.jpg

• Member Contributer

I bought some that were of the pre-curved variety but I didn't like the way you have to install them and get them lined up. I opted for some reflective striping tape that I got from reflectivelyyours.com It came in a continuous roll and you basically make very small "bends" when laying it on the rim. It took a little more time to install but the results look good IMO. With this type there was only one seem, rather than 4 seems with the pre-curved type. They have a handful of colors but at night when the light hits the tape, it "reflects" white. I went for a more "subdued" look, black striping on black rims, in the daytime you cannot really tell, but at night you can when the light hits it. You might even be able to see it in action in my avatar, the photo flash actually makes the rim "shine".

i bought the precurved pieces off of ebay for both the VFR & 600rr. I've been pretty happy with them, not sure where I found this out, but spray the rim with a mixture of dishsoap and water before you try to place them, this will allow you to manipulate the rim stripe until you get it where you want it, then just let the solution evaporate and you're good to go!

• Member Contributer

current got the ready arc stripes - like the one right on top...have not coated anything on them. now for more than over a year - no issues

• Member Contributer

I've done both... the roll WITH the applicator is far easier (Used tapeworks reflective wheels stripes). However... don't be surprised if you can't get them absolutely perfect, and having an assistant is very helpful.

Good luck :)

• Member Contributer

I have used the pre-curved on three bikes, no issues so far.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00317FSCE/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=automotive

This is the one that I bought for my bike. They even show a VFR for the user submitted pic's! I hated the applicator. It would get stuck and stretch the tape or get bunched up. As soon as the rims are rolling, they look great. From more than 3ft away at a standstill, it looks good. They reflect light like crazy, but it looks orange instead of red.

Other than that I do not like them. I plan on removing the tape this year when/if I plasti-dip my bike and going with pre-curved sets.

Archived