Tablet Mount

Guest davjohns

Guest davjohns

So, I wanted to be able to have GPS on my bike. I also thought it would be nice to have music. And, sometimes, I might want to take video of my rides. So, I looked for a way to mount my tablet. I have it paired to my SMH10, for music and I can hear the GPS. I haven't used it to shoot video yet, but it can.

I found a RAM mount that hooks to the brake master cylinder, but have to get different bolts for it. I have this one set in the yoke right now. Works great. The X mount is spring loaded and optimized for 7 inch tablets. It holds very securely due to the rubbed contact points and strong spring. The location was pretty convenient. I'm going to see if the brake master mount allows the corner of the tablet (where the camera is) to peek around the screen and see the road.

post-26492-0-32001700-1359826449.jpg

post-26492-0-72104600-1359826477.jpg

• Member Contributer

The RAMmount set *should* have come with both SAE and Metric botls. There were in both items I bought.....

I'm going to see if the brake master mount allows the corner of the tablet (where the camera is) to peek around the screen and see the road.

It will vibrate so much that you will hardly be able to see anything.

I would look into something smaller than a 7" sail on the handle bar.

• Member Contributer

Can you post up a photo of your tablet in the mount, and looking at your dash from a riding position? I would like to see what you can see of your dash when the tablet is up there.

Thanks!

A seven inch sail doesn't appeal to me. That's why I only want it to peek over the screen. The camera is in the upper left corner of the backside from the rider's view. So, only about an inch would be in the wind. I do worry about the vibration, though. Worth testing, but no guarantee of success, of course. I would just like to avoid another gadget on my bike. Besides, I don't know that I would use it much anyhow.

Pics attached. I actually used one tablet to take pictures of the other. All dash functions are clearly visible. Only thing I miss seeing is the brake master...I don't need to see that. I can also block my view of the turn signal and high beam switches, but I know where they are without looking.

Ah, yeah. That's a picture of my Jeep serving as a screensaver on the tablet. :-)

post-26492-0-94648200-1360099529.jpg

post-26492-0-29464000-1360099560.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the photos...

Let us know how it works in practice, ie. vibration, ability to see screen in daylight, etc.

The RAMmount set *should* have come with both SAE and Metric botls. There were in both items I bought.....

It did. No issues with the mount and hardware. The bolts are just too long. I'll have to cut them or find some others.

I think it will work out. I like that it is bigger than most GPSs so I don't have to do more than glance at it. I like it high so I don't have to take my eyes far off the road. I might like it just a bit higher for that purpose. That's why I'm going to see if I can get the mount for the brake master to work. Mostly, I'll rely on the voice commands over the headset. I have to promise myself not to touch it unless I am at a light or pulled off the road. I like to pay complete attention when I'm riding because all those people in cars are not.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry if this comes off as offensive... But I find this to be a really bad idea. Google maps has a GREAT GPS turn by turn navigation app for the iphone and I'm sure there are other for android.

Mounting a few hundred dollar tablet to your handlebars for music GPS and shooting ride videos is a expensive accident waiting to happen. Hit a bump and the mount fails it goes flying and could be a distraction enough for you to crash. A phone on a mount with your bluetooth in your helmet will provide GPS, music and phone calls.

If you want videos, grab a GoPro, or bestbuy has sunglasses with a 720p camera integrated.

I plan on mounting my iphone to the highest point of the windscreen.

Heres a example of googles turn by turn screen. You can make the directions bigger too.

http://reviews.whatsoniphone.com/wp-content/uploads/GoogleMaps3.jpg

No offense taken. I like the larger screen on the tablet so I can just glance at it if I need to. I don't like my eyes off the road. And the tablet was only $150, so I have less at risk than a phone. Plus, I am in Europe. Smart phones are very expensive here. My tablet has no monthly subscription to keep up. I've tested out the mount. The roads here are plenty rough. It doesn't move. The X mount does a great job. It has rubber stoppers at the contact points and constant tension. I don't think the tablet is going anywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree with Inkedfusionadsfas here. The best thing is to eliminate all distractions while optimizing your tools. I know your in EU but in some US States its illegal to listen to music in your helmet while your riding. I know many still do, including myself. I use an Android smartphone, Motorola Razr Maxx, with a large touch screen that I have mounted on a Ram-mount off the two front fuel tank screws. I use Google Navigation and Google's music player. Its works very well with my Interphone F4. The Ram is mounted high up so that its above my tank bag and in my view so that I don't have to look down. I too use the X-Mount from Ram and it holds the phone secure without worry. One thing you need to watch for when using this mount is that the rubber holders tend to slide up and eventually off. So, push them back down onto the metal arms from time to time.

You may also want to add a 3BR USB charger. They make versions for smartphones and tablets.

This setup allows me to answer the phone too with my helmet on. I don't answer calls or touch the phone while riding even thought the F4 makes it easy too. I never ride without wearing gloves so using the touchscreen is best done with a stylus that I have attached to my tank bag, kind of like a pen holder in a notebook. In my honest the integration I've done with my tools has made riding safer and more enjoyable. The last thing I want to add is the ability to map a specific route on my laptop in google maps and then upload that to my phone. If anyone knows how, I'm all ears.

I hope the tablet works out for you!

JB

• Member Contributer

You may also want to add a 3BR USB charger. They make versions for smartphones and tablets.

This setup allows me to answer the phone too with my helmet on. I don't answer calls or touch the phone while riding even thought the F4 makes it easy too. I never ride without wearing gloves so using the touchscreen is best done with a stylus that I have attached to my tank bag, kind of like a pen holder in a notebook. In my honest the integration I've done with my tools has made riding safer and more enjoyable. The last thing I want to add is the ability to map a specific route on my laptop in google maps and then upload that to my phone. If anyone knows how, I'm all ears.

JB

I like that power lead...thanks for the link. Tell me more about your stylus...I have tried plastic or other inanimate objects to use on my DroidX screen and nothing works. Is there a special stylus for use on these phones?

I wonder how big an LCD screen you can have on a bike before the LEOs start bugging you??........

"No officer,.....I don't watch DWTS or Downton Abbey on my tablet while I ride..........Now Pawn Stars, I can't miss that!.."

Hey guys, I have the exact same set up except I have the holder for the Iphone 5. I use the gps and pair it for phone calls and music. Works flawlessly. I also took some video but it is through the screen. The only vibration I have in the video is when the Vtech kicks in . Ill have a video uploaded later tonight.

I have to say that it is very handy to have a place to hold the phone when the gps is in use. I have the garmin app with the voice activate turn by turn which plays through my speakers in the helmet.

I have every confidence that the holder will hold my phone without any issues. I do have a lifeproof case on my iphone though, just in case.

Cheers!

Steve.

JB

I like that power lead...thanks for the link. Tell me more about your stylus...I have tried plastic or other inanimate objects to use on my DroidX screen and nothing works. Is there a special stylus for use on these phones?

@2thdr - any stylus would do. I got the idea from my wife who uses one on her Kindle Fire. Here's an example. They work on any capacitive touch screen which the droidX has.

My Razr Maxx is in a Otterbox case which helps against the torture of highway riding. While plugged into a 3BR I can run music and the Google Navigation with the screen on all the time and ride for 4 hours straight and still have 80% battery left.

Hope this helps,

JB

• Member Contributer

Thanks JB. This issue since my zumo 450 died has me going back and forth. With the zumo it was so convenient to have the Nav up all the time, integrated MP3 tunes and seamless cooperation with my Sena headset.

Now, using my phone I have been frustrated with lack of proper current (1A vs. required 2.1A), Buggy software (CoPilot Live, and Google NAV both have their issues), lack of ability to use touch screen with gloves.

The spendy 3BR power lead looks like it will cure the current issue, but $45 is steep. Phone will still be exposed to elements as buying another $40-50 item to keep it dry is just too much. Stylus will be help with touch screen, but I can see that it will not be easy to use while moving.

Copilot Live still has big issues doing on the fly re-routing and Google NAV only works with constant data coverage.

That $650 new zumo may still be the way to go in the end...

May I offer the same as Inkedfusion - - -?

I'm 80 yrs. old. I still ride sport bikes quickly and do occasional track days. i'm also, obviously old school , plus a Luddite, Butt! I'm waiting, sad to say, for the first motocycle accident to occur where one or more electronic farkles are cited for possible cause. And, really scary, is what I witnessed at a Registry of Motor Vehicles today The infirm, sight and physically compromised are getting coached and renewed. It begged the question: Dare I go out on the road, even in a cage?

I trust the laws and rules in Europe remain more stingent than here in the US. Keep safe, above all. Good fortune, R3~

• Member Contributer

May I offer the same as Inkedfusion - - -?

I'm 80 yrs. old. I still ride sport bikes quickly and do occasional track days. i'm also, obviously old school , plus a Luddite, Butt! I'm waiting, sad to say, for the first motocycle accident to occur where one or more electronic farkles are cited for possible cause. And, really scary, is what I witnessed at a Registry of Motor Vehicles today The infirm, sight and physically compromised are getting coached and renewed. It begged the question: Dare I go out on the road, even in a cage?

I trust the laws and rules in Europe remain more stingent than here in the US. Keep safe, above all. Good fortune, R3~

Basically my exact point...with my motorcycle dedicated device I never had to look down or fiddle with it. It spoke to me when I needed directions and otherwise I got to concentrate on my riding while listening to my music. Trying ot get my phone to do those duties is proving difficult and the end result will be lacking for my usability.

P.S. I pray that I might be still enjoying motorcycling to the degree you do when I am 30 years older. That will tell me that I am truly blessed and in good health and fitness. Hats off to you sir!

Archived