Which Fuel Cap Is Better And Why?..

Veefer800Canuck

Question

So 3 years ago, I bought a fuel cap like this one:

XnPiGXZ.jpg

It's "ok"' but its threaded, and a little inconvenient to get on and off, plus there is no seal between the cap and the mounting ring, so it would be possible to have water ingress. No issues thus far that I know of....

There is of course a seal between the mounting ring and the tank.

Now I'm looking at either one of these, on eBay.

1/4 turn:

LI-FC-HO-EVO-BK-01.JPG

I think this style is a pop-up, or is it 1/4 turn also??? Auction does not say.

M937_1.jpg

Any feedback from anyone with either of these styles???

14 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

A couple of buddies have ones similar to the ez moto one, but i'm not sure where they got theirs from. You push down on the s handle and give it a quarter turn and it pops up, simultaneously unlocking the cap and giving you a handle to lift it up with. It's a nice piece of kit, easy to open and close. I think there's a rubber seal around the bottom edge of the cap to keep the liquid bits on the right sides.

• Member Contributer

If you have a bike that you don't require a key-locked fuel cap on. Or if you just choose to not have a locking fuel cap. Might save 1/4 lbs, and it's up high.

They look cool, that's about it

A perfectly good reason for me. Heck, if I was a perfectly logical individual, I'd probably be driving an old base model Civic!

• Member Contributer

i like mine.. its the best.. never a problem when racing, easy enough when filling on the road.

have seen others drilling their caps in a race while mines a push, twist and pop..done.

similar to the EZ model shown. Rubber seals all round it never sticks when hot and comes in carbon fiber to boot...

The second example shown might in the event of a spill weld itself together if your bike was to go tits upside down and scoot along a track for some distance.....this from experience...

Who wants a key on their tank? no ty.

• Member Contributer

Mines from Harris.

A UK race distributor..

Honda in carbon fiber and o-ring rubber sealed billet middle was no problem.

Without looking thru all sorts of shots here is one that shows how it sits.

Looks and similar to spacecraft spec. without dought.

post-5025-0-14818400-1359244388.jpg

i like mine.. its the best.. never a problem when racing, easy enough when filling on the road.

have seen others drilling their caps in a race while mines a push, twist and pop..done.

similar to the EZ model shown. Rubber seals all round it never sticks when hot and comes in carbon fiber to boot...

The second example shown might in the event of a spill weld itself together if your bike was to go tits upside down and scoot along a track for some distance.....this from experience...

Who wants a key on their tank? no ty.

Where you live is probably a land of normal ppl, but at least here in parts of America(USA) I have locking tank caps so ppl won't put something in it that could hurt my engine.

I also don't irritate ppl that know where I live or keep my mc/car.

Not everyone rides all their bikes where they have to be worried about it.

Some people I know have dedicated track bikes, some don't park their bikes anywhere out of their sight simply because they are fun toys, and they aren't riding to work or to get groceries.

• Member Contributer

A fancy fuel cap is just that, fancy and not essential. Not even the most convenient to use at a filling station either!

Essential for the track as i have seen races lost due to a lock or suction problem resulting in drilling the cap to continue.

Nice if you want to loose a gram or 3.

Thank fk i dont live where the usual round of thieving muppets are any more!

My vfr.. for a good 10-15 yrs+ now has been a dispatch bike in and out of London, a daily commuter to a building site or other, a town shopping runaround, a 2 up taxi, a police target for one of those police camera action shows, a race or track day bike and a toy all in one.

Only last year did i get a second bike, as the price was a give away, £50 for a low mileage steel NTV650. But bought to resell for more VFR parts if needed lol...

The vfr is now a race bike come mountain scratcher come European tourer, after i slip some lights back on and swap out the Diablo super corsas for something lasting more than 2 or 3 track runs if rubber is reversed as we have a left handed circuit here also...

Moving from England to the Isle of Man has completely changed my bikes usage.

Call it my retirement as i do not rely on the old girl to bash it out dispatch style 5-6 days 1500 mile on average every week.

You can really feel the engine getting tired after 400 miles a day... the day or 2 off leaves the engine to tighten back up so full power resumes come the monday.....Also gives time to service...

No daily 2 hour ride to work in the rain, snow or ice to a building site just for the poor girl to be hit by the fork lift again, no shopping with a large rucksack to collect en mass(i have never been a car driver either).

All history... :cheerleader:

Keys are just an inconvenience as we all know, so not really required especially as bike theft is never an issue over here... :wink:

There is too much respect for bikes here and the verity on the road from old to new comes close to that museum featured on here last month in the USA(i forget where it is now).

Thankfully my smelly old vfr workhorse is a piece of shit compared to the masses of primo rare road and race examples hidden away in lock ups here. Most you see is the latest this or that at the Creg pub on a sunny day...making mine next to nothing more than a scrap parts bin old vfr, still banging away with that distinctive V4 roar ...

Just as i like it.

As mileage increases passed 100 then 200,000 you will find everything will need to be serviced at some point to keep the girl running, as things become more obsolete i have found an upgrade to a low mileage replacement, cbr front end for example more cost effective than a respray, bushes, linings, seals, etc. etc. And yes its runs a whole lot different... but thats another story.

As with anything there are compromises either way. Road, race or commute.

Which is best? All round, standard Honda i would suggest.

But mine will stay in its box for now :wink:

Mine has an oring in cap which screws in but doesn't take much to remove, when I was looking my problem was finding one that didn't look cheap. Most the cap looks like plastic or cast not a machined billet look.

The cap used to line up straight but 7 years of use the oring has compressed so cap is a little off center but doesn't bug me.

vtecmk11dials

Sorry to bump this but I'm new here and need help. I believe the drain tube from the cap to the bottom of the tank is cracked and allowing water to get in to my tank causing a lot of head ache! So what I did was plug the bottom of the tank where that drain is because gas started leaking out of it. Now I need to ensure that water doesn't get in to the tank from around the cap. This led to a search for a screw on cap.

Questions. Do you think the styles of caps on this thread will suffice? And will there be any issue with built up gas vapors?

I'd like to add I drained the tank and fuel lines and carbs and DID have water. After sealing up as described above and fresh gas it ran fine. Since then we have had a few storms and the bike is in the elements with a cover on but I still get condensation and water under the cover.

The side effects I am experiencing is terrible throttle response and bogging down very close to dying up to 5k hard to get it over 5k. Sound like water n The tank or other problem?

Thank you

Geoff

Archived