Static Balancing Results -- Help?

emoyer

• Member Contributer

One helpful idea is to add the trial weight to the light spot with masking tape, using a weight that is enough to tip the heavy spot up to 3:00 or 9:00. By dividing the trial weight in half, you have two smaller weights that you can move independently from the center of the light spot. Equal weights moved to 3:00 o'clock and 9:00 o'clock should have zero affect on the tire if the heavy spot rests at 6:00. Some combination of positions of the two weights before getting both all the way to 12:00 should balance the tire.

Geez, what a load of effort.

Buy a pack of Dyna Beads. Job done. No balancing required.

I looked at those a few years back, like $11 or $15 for them , Which is expensive on a routine tire change basis, compared to free used weights.

• Member Contributer

i did not know they were that expensive. i thought about them but im basically a luddite, have a hard time with things that seem to good to be true. (i still keep a jar of leeches for when i get a cold.) im also a cheap bastard. (sometimes too cheap for my own good, admittedly.)

anyway, even though the weather has been not very nice around here for awhile, i did sneak out for an hour tuesday after work. had it up to 50 or 60 a couple times and did not notice any vibration. will try it at higher speeds in the future.

• Member Contributer
Don't spin the wheel. Instead after making sure the cones are tight, shake the mounting stand and the heavy spot will sink to the bottom. You are constantly breaking the friction by doing this and saving time over spinning the wheel. You will get better results.

Hmmm Makes sense. Thanks for a good tip.

I agree, that's a good tip.

On a side note: When I was at the motorcycle show in Dallas a few months back, I stopped by the NoMar booth and looked at their balancer. They had them on sale so I bought one with all the extra cones. Now, I've loved my Parnes balancer and it's worked as advertised for well over 200 tire changes but figured it was time for something new. The accuracy of this NoMar is astonishing. A small piece of tape added to the wheel will make it spin. It's also a lot easier to use than the Parnes since you don't have to fiddle with the bearing blocks.

What size cones are required for stock 6th gen wheels?

• Member Contributer
Don't spin the wheel. Instead after making sure the cones are tight, shake the mounting stand and the heavy spot will sink to the bottom. You are constantly breaking the friction by doing this and saving time over spinning the wheel. You will get better results.

Hmmm Makes sense. Thanks for a good tip.

I agree, that's a good tip.

On a side note: When I was at the motorcycle show in Dallas a few months back, I stopped by the NoMar booth and looked at their balancer. They had them on sale so I bought one with all the extra cones. Now, I've loved my Parnes balancer and it's worked as advertised for well over 200 tire changes but figured it was time for something new. The accuracy of this NoMar is astonishing. A small piece of tape added to the wheel will make it spin. It's also a lot easier to use than the Parnes since you don't have to fiddle with the bearing blocks.

What size cones are required for stock 6th gen wheels?

The NoMar standard balancer comes with a set of small and medium cones which will fit the front wheel. You have to purchase the large cone set for the rear wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

I see this problem from time to time when I'm balancing front wheels that have the spacer between the bearings, that the axle slides through, it's like a steel tube inside the wheel that floats around when the axel is not in the wheel. When you rotate the wheel on the stand the axel spacer will stick in one position from the grease that's it's coated with and then unstick , move a little , which causes the heavy spot to move around a few degrees each time you rotate the wheel. If the new tire and wheel are already pretty close to balance, the movement of the axle spacer will make the "heavy spot" move even more. If you can get it within 1/4 oz (7grms) you should be fine.

Archived