Lost Vf1000R Carbs :-(

VFRDYLAN

• Member Contributer

I sent my carbs from NH to CA to have them restored by Old School Carbs in the fall. In December I received an email and invoice telling me they were all set and ready for shipping.

Unfortunately they seemed to have been lost by the US Postal system (boy they suck and I understand why they are going out of business). According to the tracing number, they were delivered to my home, but neither I nor my neighbors received a package.

I am looking to see if there was insurance on the package, but it is not like money can replace the parts. So, while I'm working with the two parties to see if I can recover any money, I figured I'd put out some feelers to see if anyone may have a set of carbs for sale [in the event I need to buy a replacement set].

• Member Contributer

I have a set that I have just stripped and cleaned that I was going to put up on ebay. They are off of a 84 VF1000F so they are slightly different, someone else might know all the differences, I know the idle adjust is in a different location. I have my VF1000R's off my bike right now so I can compare them closer if you are interested.

They have all new rubber gaskets and float valves, were soaked in carb cleaner then put into an ultrasonic cleaner.

And I have the proper Mains for an R (F installed right now)

Let me know, I still to reassemble them onto the air chamber so it will be at least a week or more before I post them up for sale.

• Member Contributer

I noticed my sensor light keeps coming on at night...you sniffin' around? :wink:

Geez Dylan, you can't get a break with this bike. Sorry, no spare sets but R jets go right in the F's carbs. See what Charlie has up his sleeve.

• Member Contributer
The 1000F's will work. You should run the F jetting and not the R - FYI.

Seems counter intuitive. Should I run the R's if I have an R ?

I have a set that I have just stripped and cleaned that I was going to put up on ebay. They are off of a 84 VF1000F so they are slightly different, someone else might know all the differences, I know the idle adjust is in a different location. I have my VF1000R's off my bike right now so I can compare them closer if you are interested.

They have all new rubber gaskets and float valves, were soaked in carb cleaner then put into an ultrasonic cleaner.

And I have the proper Mains for an R (F installed right now)

Let me know, I still to reassemble them onto the air chamber so it will be at least a week or more before I post them up for sale.

I am bit interested. Still trying to get the USPS to do some splaining...

• Member Contributer

I've got a couple sets if you are still looking.

Also, in regards to using VF1000F carbs. They will work but Jamie is correct, use VF1000F jetting as they are actually different carbs than the ones on the R.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a set of the f's on my r and they work flawlessly. You can't go wrong with f's if you can't find any r's. Good luck

Sent via Galaxy SII SGH-T989 from 1 of my bikes

• Member Contributer
Unfortunately they seemed to have been lost by the US Postal system (boy they suck and I understand why they are going out of business). According to the tracing number, they were delivered to my home, but neither I nor my neighbors received a package.

I am looking to see if there was insurance on the package, but it is not like money can replace the parts.

No insurance? No signature? Not sure why anybody would send anything of value and not cover their bases. I have had two lost packages, one from UPS that was delivered a month later MINUS the two digital cameras I bought for my daughters and my most recent was my brand new Leo Vince slip-on that was delivered to a neighbor by Fed-Ex. Mistakes happen with EVERY carrier. It just happens. In my experience, there is usually a problem with the actual address written on the package. You would be amazed at how many times a shipper has the CORRECT address but the actual label has something wrong with it. Since you brought it up, we are not going out of business due to service. Congressional hands in a private pot are taking our money if you care to do any reading on the issue. Things were fine prior to 2006 when they came along.

Back to your carbs - Insurance for loss/damage is only $1.85. And yes, money WOULD get you what you need.

A signature of who signed for the item would have only been $2.10. That would have solved a big question as well.

It's a bit late for either at this point but I would reccommend you ask the shop why they wouldn't cover themselves on both issues for less than $4. People grouse about an extra $4, but I bet everybody involved would hand over $4 to solve the mystery now.

Archived