3Rd Gen Exhaust Needs To Just Be A Little Louder

mk2davis

• Member Contributer

I know I've read some threads about drilling stock exhausts to make them a little louder. Adding a little growl to the "sewing machine".

The problem is that I can't see the pics that accompany the threads , so I can't see where to drill, baby, drill.

Can someone help me out?

Seems kinda Harley-esque to me, trying to be loud just to be loud. Its akin to teenagers putting big mufflers on their Civic IMHO.. Put yourself a nice pipe on there and let the snarl be a byproduct of a performance upgrade, thats how its supposed to be.

Seems kinda Harley-esque to me, trying to be loud just to be loud. Its akin to teenagers putting big mufflers on their Civic IMHO.. Put yourself a nice pipe on there and let the snarl be a byproduct of a performance upgrade, thats how its supposed to be.

+1. Put the extra effort in it and get a good looking pipe with some good sound. It'll give a lil extra power also.

• Member Contributer

What exhaust do you have on there now? The stock cans are pretty quiet compared to any after-market, but even the after-markets aren't loud until you get up in the revs. Maybe just finding a different can would be the easier route, like a D&D.

Try to get a carbon fibre high-mount pipe - the CF gives a nice mellow tone (and stays cool which is great for pillion confidence) and the high-mount shows off that awesome 8-spoke wheel you have :fing02:

If you can find one, get a 4th Gen header - you will need a muffler that matches it as the 3rd Gen is a slip-on and the 4th Gen is a flange-style fitment - because it weighs a hell of a lot less and has a more efficient design.

And if you really want sound, look for a TBR (Two Brothers Racing) or Hindle full header system. It will sound like a pair of Ducati 750SS's with Imola cams then!

• Member Contributer

Well sure, it would be great if someone gave me a slip on or full exhaust, but I don't see any voluteers and I don't have a lot extra cash. And as far as performance goes, it was my understanding that a slip on would be good for almost nothing. A TBR, assuming I could find one, would be $300 and change for maybe 1 hp?

Yes, my stock can is very quite. If fact, my brother had a TBR slip on on his 92 was too loud. I'd like something in between.

While I appreciate it, I wasn't really looking for approval, but more of a how-to. BTW, I think my title is misleading. I don't want to be loud, but it would be nice to hear it. The 91's are known to be extremely quite, in fact I have heard the 92 stock cans were made to be a little louder. Obliviously, I am not the first one to go this route, as there are other treads related to this, I just can't see the pics the threads are referencing.

If any of you fine gentlemen have a 3rd gen slip on for sale, I'd certainly be interested. I looked in the classified section and didn't see anything.

Archived