Powerlet Heated Gear Group Buy...12/31/2012 Expiration

Tightwad

Need to get a rider friend a late Christmas gift? Didn't get what you needed yet? Just want to spoil yourself a bit? This is a great opportunity!

I am organizing a group buy via my website for Powerlet Heated Gear. All orders placed between now and 20:00 CST on the 31st are eligible for a 20% discount using the promo code "powerlet" entered at checkout. All orders have to be in by 12/31/2012 for the discount to apply as I have to place the order then

The discount only works on the items in the "Heated Gear" section found here: http://www.wiremybike.com/powerlet-products-heated-gear-c-2_57.html

Make sure to use the code "powerlet" so I know you came from the Forum for the discount. All orders will be placed on 12/31/2012 so they won't ship until at least the second. The Large glove liners are on backorder for about 2 more weeks as well.

For those who haven't used heated gear it is VERY nice! I have their original sport gloves (not offered anymore) as well as the first generation jacket liner. The new items they sell are much more comfortable. Glove liners are not available without the controller anymore due to safety concerns (they get quite warm if uncontrolled!). Orders over $100 shipped to the US will ship for free as well.

PM me with any questions. Mods if this is inappropriate or misplaced please let me know!

Guest Recalcitrance

I just got a pair of these glove liners this morning from Santa. haha. But we might want to pick up another pair and a liner or two. Thanks for the post.

I have both the old and new liners and plan to review the differences over the next couple days. I have the glove liners to review for power consumption (they are the wrong size for me) as well.

• Member Contributer

Oh! This is interesting. Wasn't planning on getting anything like that anytime soon but at this price, it is tempting. Any more info on their jacket liners? Durability?? 60 or 100 w?? Sizing? How to hook them up??

Thank you.

C

• Member Contributer

have their jacket liner, part way through its second winter now. first season the wires to the gloves broke internally just behind the plug ends & the collar didn't feel warm at all. sent it back to be repaired for this years cold riding, they were good about it & sent me a new one. collar is warmer(but could still stand a bit more!), wires to gloves have been changed to a different type of wire that seems more flexible so we'll see how it stands up. heats well & offers either 60 or 100w by simply pulling an internal plug(they supply clear instructions). been using gerbings for years so thought this might be a more durable product, have consistently had various problems with the gerbing stuff but they're very good with the warranty as well, just tedious getting it to them & back. so far I like the powerlet a little better however it's really a difficult call if you're trying to decide whether one is best. the powerlet is more $.

The Powerlet controllers are compatible with the Gerbings gear (so it says on their website). I have had my jacket for a few years now but haven't had too much need for it. I really like how the glove liners plug in jack on the top of the wrist).

Sizing is consistent with other motorcycle clothing.

Went for the heated gear, didn't see anything that struck my fancy. Unless those glove liners are really thin enough to fit under well-fitting gloves like Lee Parks. To give you an idea, silk glove liners are about all I can fit under my DeerTours.

Did, however find a fuse block I may get...

• 9 months later...
  • Member Contributer

BUMP

Has anyone experienced "hot/burning" spots in their inner gloves?

Bought mine in november 2012 and used them maybe 10 times.

Last weekend used them again this year and in 2 spots

post-8974-0-61766300-1382956307.jpg

I occasionally get a burning sensation (controller on position 2 of 5)

At some point I simpply had to switch them off as it became too distractive.

I have mailed Powerlet's customer service so if there are more people with this problem, I would like to hear.

• Member Contributer

The Girl bought these glove liners last year and she had the same issue and Powerlet replaced them in a matter of days. All she did was call them and they took care of the rest, no questions asked.

KEB

• Member Contributer

It appears that in November 2012 Revzilla sold me a set from old stock. The batch number pointed to a lot from a factory Powerlet no longer use.....

Powerlet will contact me to sort this.

Will keep you posted

• Member Contributer

Top Tip.....

Do not use your Powerlet heated inner gloves on level 3 of 5

post-8974-0-75641700-1383417474.jpg

Unless you like blisters.....

Powerlet said they would get somebody to reach out to me. Let's see......

1st the end cap on the battery lead snapped, they said they knew the design/build was not as good as they had hoped. So they sent a new/identical one. Now the gloves do me actual harm. Not the best $129 I ever spend in my life.....

• Member Contributer

Ouch! Sorry to hear. I hope they can make it right.

I remember wasting money on a cheap rider tonpassenger comm system a few years back. I should have invested it in a nice bottle of scotch or threw it out the window. Or on other frivolous things.

C

• Member Contributer

Powerlet contacted me and told me they will ship a new set over with a retun box for the torture device...... :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

The new&improved set arrived yesterday; the label inside shows the actual production date, August 2012 (vs the old one lot # 21010P whatever that may be). Great service from Powerlet; I contacted their technical desk to check if I was doing wrong and they responded immediately.

REVZILLA sell the inner gloves now for $100, I paid $130 a year ago.

I've now asked them to come back to me on them selling me old stock that actually did me physical harm... The blister left a nice scar..

So if you are on the market for them, make sure you get one from the new factory they use.

I'm hoping to give the new ones a try over the weekend. Fingers crossed they will not burn me.... ins'Allah!!! :cool:

• Member Contributer

Update

Got a stern mail from Powerlet. When they told me the gloves I bought november 2012 were from a batch that was most likely old stock a retailer still had on the shelve and was produced at a factory they no longer used, this did not imply nor state the batch or design was faulty.

So there, if I suggested this batch was duff, I was wrong.

At least I was not the only one having burny gloves.....

I have the powerlet gloves and liner too, I bought mine from revzilla when they first came out too.

There are definitely hot spots in the glove liners where you have the arrows, I use the dual wireless controller which doesn't just have five settings but instead two dials so you can dial the temp in more accurately. If you crank the gloves you can definitely feel it, even at 3/4 is almost always too much. I keep them at 1/2 or just below and its perfect. Just was out for 3hrs at 40 degrees f and was toasty. All that said I still really like the liners, they are super thin for under gloves and the glove liner plug built in the jacket that goes to the backside of the glove is a perfect design imo. I hope your new ones work better, check out the wireless controller too, it works awesome, once its connected it stays connected for the whole season. I just have it mounted on top of the brake fluid resi.

• Member Contributer

Cheers NJ!

I had asked Powerlet about the wireless control in conjunction with the gloves only, maybe a single controller, but only work with the heated jacket with the gloves like you describe.

They no longer produce, sell the single controller anyway. So if anyone wants one, bettet check online fast.....

I am very cautious for now to fork out some $340 for the jacket+dual controller to complement my gloves...... :-)

Glad it works for you.

Btw, revzilla customer service is top notch too. Clearly run by staff that ride too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

UPDATE

Used the gloves that Powerlet had sent out as replacement. Today was 9Celcius at best (48F), overcast but dry so let's ride......

At position 2 (out of 5) the gloves were lukewarm (under loose fitting leather gloves), so I switched to "3".

Well this time they didnot blister my skin, but when I arrived at a Moto Guzzi dealership, the guy at the counter said "WTF is that on your hands man??" :unsure:

post-8974-0-87721000-1385223850.jpg

So while I commend both REVZILLA's and Powerlet's quick action and commitment to customer sevice, I can in all honesty not recommend these "RapidFire" gloves.

Wearing thin cotton under gloves under these under gloves perhaps?

I do hope that my 50 years old skin is not farked and that the reason I cannot bear these heated gloves :goofy:

So no, I will not order the heated jacket liner with remote control unit to regulate these gloves any time soon....

The day was not *all* bad............. will post some pictures in a new thread....

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Recalcitrance

I have the same liners. Received them last Christmas as a gift. They're warm as is but in gloves, the hot spots are unbearable.

As for the lines on your hands, I have similar lines all over my chest, stomach, and back when I take off my vest liner from Widder. But I'm not burned and the vest has kept me warm and comfortable for years.

I also have a Gerbing vest liner and there is a terrible hot spot on the adapter pack and it leaves a horrible red spot on the left of my stomach. Vest itself gets very warm, almost hot, and doesn't have a control switch.

Hope your hands recover from all their troubles and you find a good pair of liners, Dutchy.

• Member Contributer

I have the Gerbing heated jacket liner and G3 gloves both with "micro-wire" technology. I also have a dual control rheostat (Gerbings) to control the heat output of each independently. As with any heated gear, it performs best if you wear a thin polyester (moisture wicking) layer directly under the heated jacket or vest, and then a polyester fleece vest or jacket over it to hold in heat. I do not wear liners with the gloves, but that would certainly be appropriate. My setup performs beautifully and keeps me toasty warm without burning my skin...and yeah Dutchy, my skin is 50+ years old too...

Recalcitrance, you should contact Gerbings...I think their stuff has a lifetime warranty for the heating elements...

• Member Contributer

I also have a Gerbing vest liner and there is a terrible hot spot on the adapter pack and it leaves a horrible red spot on the left of my stomach. Vest itself gets very warm, almost hot, and doesn't have a control switch.

I thought it was just me. I bought a locally produced jacket and built a PWM controller (so no issues with too much power). I got to Prudhoe Bay with a blister on the inside of my upper arm, even though I was wearing a long sleeve T-shirt. Guess the jacket wasn't significantly worse than the competition after all.

The ride back to Fairbanks involved extra layers of fabric and a couple of bandaids...

Glenn

• Member Contributer

A common mistake is not to wear an insulating layer over the heated gear. Since you lose most of the heat produced, then tendency is to turn up the heat way too much...

If I'm reading correctly, one instance of burning is by a vest with no temperature control and the other is with a home made control that may or may not be appropriate for the gear?

Archived