Another Gopro Mounting System

huntinggunns

• Member Contributer

My wife surprised me the other day with an early Christmas present. A new GoPro HD Hero2. I have been toying with how I wanted to mount it and came up with this. I just used an extra RAM mount ball that I had lying around and one of the flat, self adhesive mounts from the GoPro (with the adhesive backing completely removed). I cut the RAM mount ball base just behind the original screw holes so it would sit right. Then i drilled a couple of new holes in the ball base and matched those holes to the GoPro flat mount. I then countersunk the holes in the GoPro flat mount and screwed the 2 pieces together. The camera sets just a little lower than I wanted as I was using the short arm that I use for my GPS. Time to order the longer mount arm from RAM mount and a couple of extra items for the GoPro. When these come in I will take some video to see how it all works. I did take a short clip with it mounted while sitting in the garage and it looks like it will work just fine. It just needs to be a little higher.

post-23180-0-88672500-1355262167.jpg

post-23180-0-31688600-1355262369.jpg

post-23180-0-67505100-1355262474.jpg

post-23180-0-37883800-1355262588.jpg

post-23180-0-27681700-1355262777.jpg

Also, if you dont have the spare parts and stuff or dont want to fab anything, they make tripod mounts for the GoPro and tripod ball RAM mounts, so thats pretty easy too.

• Member Contributer

You lucky dog! Cool gadget...

Thanks Steve. Been wanting one for a while. It is lucky in the sense that I got the Gopro, but unlucky that my Penske will have to wait for a little while longer.

Also, if you dont have the spare parts and stuff or dont want to fab anything, they make tripod mounts for the GoPro and tripod ball RAM mounts, so thats pretty easy too.

Thanks tc. I just saw the Gopro mounting ball at GPS City. It was not that hard to fab up the mount I made but the pre-made one sure looks a whole lot better. Here is the link for anyone that is interested in the mount.

http://www.rammount.com/newproducts/goprocameramount/tabid/3665/default.aspx

And visa versa , possibly a new way to mount gps as well.

You are right Monk. Since I have my GPS mounted like this already, all I have to do is swap them out when I want. It takes about 2 seconds to do that.

Thanks tc. I just saw the Gopro mounting ball at GPS City. It was not that hard to fab up the mount I made but the pre-made one sure looks a whole lot better. Here is the link for anyone that is interested in the mount.

http://www.rammount....65/default.aspx

That's what I bought for mine. I've only tried it once though because it seemed to have more vibration than I cared for. The picture just wasn't smooth.

• Member Contributer

Never even thought of Ram mount... of course they'd make something like this! Thanks.

Archived