5Th Gen Turns Over But Will Not Start

Razzman

Went to start my 2001 Gen 5, engine was cranking and firing but having difficulty starting. After cranking for 10 seconds the sound changed like the engine was not firing anymore and all I could hear was the starter and engine turning over, but no firing. I could smell gas.

I checked that the fuel pump was priming for (5 seconds) after turning on the key. Checked power at the pump as well and was fine. Checked power on all the coils and was receiving sufficient voltage. Tried again another time, and then pulled each plug and held against engine to check for spark. All plugs were wet, and were giving a spark. Charged battery to ensure it was not the issue. Cranks over the engine just fine, but does not start. I followed the troubleshooting steps in the manual and tested voltage at the coil. I don't have a peak adaptor, but hooked up a capacitor to get a better reading (in lieu of the peak adaptor) on my meter figuring I could get a closer reading. Checked the ignition pulse generator voltage and seemed a bit low. Found a used one and slapped it in, but that was not the issue. Guess I was not getting a true indication of the voltage due to the speed of the pulses. I am not getting any FI flashing error indicators.

I have not checked fuel pressure or flow yet, I don't know what size adaptor I need to do this. Bike was not sitting before this happened, and is (or was) pretty much a daily driver. Tank was half full when this occurred. Bike has about 35K, so still low miles. Is there any other obvious things I should check, perhaps things systemic to this gen of VFR? I would like to fix it, but getting close to taking it to the shop.

Thanks

• Member Contributer

Have you checked the air-filter for rubbish? If it's blocked it will give wet plugs too and no fireing either.

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

sounds like you were due for a tune-up, anyway.

i'd put a new air filter in (if yours isn't looking too tidy), as well as a new set of plugs.

sounds like you're getting plenty of fuel. the above items can't hurt - and they'll likely get you running.

Thanks for the tips. What would a hot spark look like, different colour? I gave the bike a full tune up 5 months ago, new plugs, cleaned the air filter (K&N), changed oil, flushed coolant. so I think everything should still be in good shape, but I will try cleaning the plugs, and have a look in the air box too.

• Member Contributer

Ignition problems can be a pain without the special tools required to test for peak voltage, but the spark should be bright, and consistent.

An engine needs 3 things to run: fuel/air mixture, compression, and ignition. Gasoline will not ignite in a liquid state. The wet plugs suggest possible flooding.

• Member Contributer

Since you said it wasn't sitting, that's ruled out. I've had that problem. The last time you started it, was it from cold and just for a minute? Like an oil change, then fire it up to insure proper oil pressure and shut off? I've done that and fouled the plugs for a few minutes. I just kept trying until it eventually dried the pugs and started.

35,000 miles, Have you ever changed the plugs? Maybe time anyway. If they aren't that old, make sure you clean them off, gap them, and re-try starting. Probably with a charger or start boost charger attached, if you have one.

• Member Contributer

Proper spark would be blue and not yellow, but since you just changed plugs assume they are fine. How many miles on the bike - have you ever adjusted the valves or timing? It may be time.

The last time it ran was a trip home from work (15K), and plugs were replaced 5 months ago. I am going to pop em, gap and clean them. Weird thing though is when I first tried to start it the engine was firing, almost caught, and then no more firing and the noise changed while cranking. Something happened while the motor was cranking.

I rigged up a circuit with a large capacitor to capture the peak voltage (didn't have the official peak voltage checker) and I got around 70v, should be 100 min, so it might be the ECU according to the manual, but I hope not. Not sure how much I trust my hair brained circuit.

• Member Contributer

If the sound changed, then you may be flooding. Pull all the plugs out, clean them, and leave them out for a bit. Check to see if your oil is contaminated with anything.

Archived