Has Anyone Done Track Day with VFR1200?

VfrNiko

• Member Contributer

I plan to later this fall/spring.

I'd just simply like a chance to get together with some people and really learn to push it. There are classes offered at my local track I would like to do, anything to improve my skills, you know.

Been toying with the idea in the spring of taking it to California for the Superbike School. Much MUCH cheaper on your own machine.

......Much MUCH cheaper on your own machine.

About $600 or so cheaper.

However if anything happens, insurance won't cover anything that happens on the track.

I was going to take mine to the local track, but keep thinking of possible consequences above. I couldn't pull the trigger.

• Member Contributer

Or even think of taking it to the track?

Just curious how it performs on the track :smile:

:idea3: IF you loan me YOURS I'd be happy to put it through it's paces at VIR and report back my findings for the benefit of everyone.

What a team player I am. :goofy:

It would be fun on a fast flowing track. I would just try to have fun and ride vs. my usual approach of serious aggression. This doesn't always work out for me. I keep thinking I'll mature, but it hasn't happened yet. WTF?

Ride safe.

• Member Contributer

My opinion after doing a few track days with my 6th gen and then several track days on a track-puposed CBR F2 is that the VFR is not a good tool for a tight, technical track. It's also very hard on the transmission, clutch, and brakes if you are pushing it. Ground clearance (foot peg) is also limited compared to a true sportbike.

• Member Contributer

I've done a couple. It's fun but braking for turn one sucks with the ABS.

http://vfr1200fa.blo...-track-day.html

I'm curious why you believe ABS has a negative effect on the track? It will only engage should you manage to lock a wheel under hard-braking, otherwise you will never know it is there. Or did you mean that you don't like the linked brakes? The linked brakes are a separate system, independent of the ABS.

I didn't care for the linked brakes when I did a trackday. i had the back end start coming around when I was braking while starting to enter a turn. I let off the brakes and went straight off, no problem.

I've done a couple. It's fun but braking for turn one sucks with the ABS.

http://vfr1200fa.blo...-track-day.html

I'm curious why you believe ABS has a negative effect on the track? It will only engage should you manage to lock a wheel under hard-braking, otherwise you will never know it is there. Or did you mean that you don't like the linked brakes? The linked brakes are a separate system, independent of the ABS.

It's negative on the track on this bike because I have to move my braking markers way back otherwise the abs kicks in and I lose braking power suddenly and unpredictably. Not good when setting up for turn 1 and braking from 5th gear redlined 150mph.

You don't need to lock up the wheel, you only need to lift the rear wheel off the surface a bit.

This is not speculation but personal experience.

If you're a casual trackday rider in the slow group you probably won't have an issue but a former racer / instructor will have trouble with the ABS.

I've read elsewhere that it can be disabled by pulling a fuse but I never tried.

edit: the linked brake arrangement on the 1200 is actually nice for trailbraking. It only links back-to-front, and only applies about 15% of the front brake when the back is used. The front brake does not apply any rear braking on the 1200.

• Member Contributer

Excellent info Phobe...I need to check on my ST1300 and see how much (how many pistons) the front lever activates on the rear caliper. It's hard for me to remember to use the brake pedal when I'm on the ST...I usually don't touch it on my VFR. I haven't learned the techique of trail braking to use it confidently yet.

The ST, older VFRs, Blackbirds, etc use Honda's old style linked braking that has the left front caliper mounted on a pivot which compresses a small master cylinder which pressures up usually one of your 2 rear brake pistons. It's a clever concept but overly complicated and compromised solution IMO. The LBS on the 1200 is simple and effective. I like it but I'm not quite as keen about the ABS.

• Member Contributer

Yes the loathed SMC...talk about a complicated brake fluid bleeding process! At one point you have to remove the SMC and tip it at least 15 degrees to make sure trapped air bubbles are, well, untrapped. What a PITA!

Archived