Vibration issues.

Guest pcovento

Guest pcovento

I've read a couple of forum posts that mentioned issues with high frequency vibes through the grips, has anyone noticed this or any other vibration issues with the VFR 1200?

I had similar issues with my 2005 Blackbird, my right hand would be numb after about 15 mins on the highway.

I tried out a 2010 model and went for an hour ride and never noticed any issues. It had less vibrations than my 6th Gen. You could always try heavy bar weights. I got rid of most of my 6th Gen vibes by putting the heavy Throttlemeister bar weights on.

Well my 2012 F version is having the same problem at around 4-5k rpm. Problem came up after approx 6k kms. At first I thought the Akrapovic in combination with the EGCA gave the problem but disconnecting it gave no difference, besides the fact that the exhaust was mounted after the first service at 1k kms.

Dropped the problem by the dealer and I am anxious to hear what the problem might be.

If somebody from here has a clue I would reallly appreciate the experience and of course the possible solution.

Grtz Newie

Tamworth,

That can be a problem but it isn't mine because the engine is also vibrating when not sitting on it but on the centrestand. Of course every engine is vibrating but it wasn't there before (i know because checking oil level is done more than once running a few minutes on the centrestand)

Have done a few 500 to 800 mile days and have had no issues (with vibration at least). It certainly has a little buzz to it, but nothing like some of the other bikes I've owned. It's worse below 4000rpm for sure, but you shouldn't be down there due to the well-known restriction of power.

I have vibration issues that numb my hands to the point I can't even take my helmet off, my fingers feel huge. Mine are from 3000 rpm-4200 rpm. gets real bad in the 3k range when I am in town. I try to keep it above 3200 but it is tough in a 25 mph zone.

Myclutch basket is extremely noisy. I let it warm up and drive a few hundred yards to the stop sign and it is very very loud, sounds like a valve is out about a half inch, and a big valve. I get the vibes at the higher rpm's also but those are manageable.

I met up with a local board member to compare bikes and found his might have a little more vibration than mine but his clutch basket was dead quite. I attribute the vibration difference to the heavy Throttlemiester bar ends and the foam grips, and have excepted the vibration as standard for the engine. As for the clutch basket, I think I have some problems going on, sounds like a bunch of marbles when the lever is out and really clacks for the first 5-10 miles. I have talked to Honda on two occasions and they just say to take it in to the dealer. I took it in once and Honda said to re-torque the engine mounts. They did this at a price to me of $100.00, scratch gas tank and several missing clips or clips that were not fastened, and it made no difference. I asked Honda about the swarf (metal shavings in the engine) that has caused a number of recalls in other countries but said there was nothing on mine. I am going to drop the oil pan on the next oil change and see if I can see anything on the oil strainer.

I believe my vibrations may be coming from my clutch basket now. There have been times when I start it up next to other people they look at me and say that really doesn't sound very good, kind of like, is it ok to drive that thing. Sometimes it is very quite and others it is very noisy, but always noisy after a few hundred yards, like something is not getting oil. I am going to take it to a different dealer and see what they have to say.

Hey Dwallen,

The oil issue came also up to me but I don't know it for sure. I tried to disengage the clutch and rev it up a few times so that the pump is delivering more oil an then going on with the speed I used to.

I think it improves but can't state it as a reappearing solution yet.

Maybe you can try it and give us/me your experience.

Newie,

Can you explain in more detail what you were experiencing with the clutch? What did the clutch basket sound like? I think waht you are saying is that you have some clutch noise and to get it to go away you pulled the lever in and reved the engine to get the oil flowing better. Would your noise go away or get less after x miles or was it constant?

Hi dwallen,

You definitely have something major going on. By the way you describe the vibration and especially the noise it is making, it's going to fail you sooner than later. It's not suppose to vibrate hardly any and certainly not suppose to make those noises. I have right at 10k miles on my 1200f and it is super smooth. I do have the Throttlemeister bar ends but even before I put those on there, it was smooth. I've had a couple of different CBR600's and a ST1300 and this bike vibrates less at the grips than any of those did.

I hate it for you but you might should park that at a dealership and try to get some relief from someone at the corporate level of Honda. They should own up to at least a huge chunk of whatever that is going on no matter what your warranty status is.

Hope you get it worked out.

Thanks Club Racer,

I am going to take it in. The problem is I don't trust any dealers to work on my stuff; I have had too many bad experiences. I would like to have some proof something is wrong. This is the reason I want to drop the oil pan and see if anything is on the oil strainer and take a picture of it, button it back up, and take it in. If there is metal in the strainer and they just remove it and say nothing is wrong I will have a leg to stand on. I am probably way over paranoid but I have had some bad experiences, not to mention all the scratches and other shit that happens when you take something to the dealer, may it be a bike or a car, never turns out good. I have Honda care warranty till 2014. The only thing there is I have already been screwed by that. Took it in to the dealer for the vibrations and Honda told them to re-torque the motor mounts. The dealer said they found a couple that were out of spec and retightened them. Dealer then charged me $100 and said the warranty did not cover it because it was a fastener and fasteners are not covered. Dealer also said if I had bought the bike from them they would have just written it off. Motor mounts are not fasteners. So if my rod bolt comes out I am not covered. Asshats. Now you know my skepticism. I am going to try a different dealer.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Hey PC, I don't have info about the 1200, but a correctly tuned Blackbird does not vibrate through the bars. You can only feel the engine on that bike in the footpegs for about 200 RPM, around 3700 RPM, give or take a few. If your hand was going numb, it's from leaning on your hands and/or gripping too tight with your hands. Probably leaning on them, as previously stated. I have about 200,000 miles on the Blackbirds so far, never had vibes in the bars. Maybe if you install a loud, buzzy race exhaust system on one you could make it vibrate more, haven't tried that. (Or maybe you guys get a special 1100XX motor overseas, without balancer shafts?) The one I rode in Europe had no vibration either, was a brand new 2001.

The V4s do have some vibration, and the way to mitigate it is put more weight on your feet, hold on with your knees, instead of your hands, and keep your core muscles tight, instead of relaxed. Works great, and you stay in shape! :fing02:

Hope that helps.

Ded

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

My right index finger and thumb go numb after about half an hour at highway speeds (80mph). Very annoying!

Not right, just don't think it's the bike and need to video if possible ..

i'll be riding the Valkyrie for the next week while i'm waiting for a part for the VFR...was just thinking today how it's really too smooth...the VFR vibrates just right for me....imho....i also scrapped the Valk's windshield so i can enjoy the wind in my (full) face....that's just me

Archived