Quality Replacement Batter?

vanion2

• Member Contributer

Ok so this is the 3rd battery I have to replace on my VFR since I bought it. The last 2 were purchased at Battery+ here in town running about $80 a pop. They last on average about 2 years and then one day they just crap out. I get them checked and a cell goes bad. The first battery was the original that came with the VFR and it was 6 years old when I replaced it.

I am leaning towards the ST1300 Yuasa battery and the best price I have been able to find shipped is $140. Before I commit though I would like to hear your opinions on a quality battery and where to purchase them from.

BTW: Charging system is working fine. I have a digital voltmeter and all the numbers are good in the correct rpm range. I also use a battery tender, all my accessories are run through a Fuzeblock and I have a VFRness installed. Each battery gets checked to confirm it is indeed the battery.

I just bought a battery at Battery Plus locally and they sold me the Yuasa YTZ12S for the same price as their crappy battery. They had both batteries together on the shelf. I don't know if they made a mistake or what. I was not asking any questions when he rang it up and applied a discount coupon I brought in. I get like 5 years out of the Yuasa.

http://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/YTZ12S.html

Batterystuff.com claims their Motocross battery is a house brand Yuasa for $109. I was going to try this until I found the Battery Plus deal.

Too much cheap crap out there that doesn't last.

• Member Contributer

First thing is to get a battery tender, as I found out that they are cheaper than new batteries.

Second, make sure that your battery isn't getting drained from any of the accessories. I'm 80% sure that's what ended up killing my batteries even though everything is switched and goes through a relay and fusebox. I haven't had issues after I disconnected the accessories, so I'll have to go through the wiring again later on.

From motorcycle-superstore I got the Yuasa batteries for $85ish a piece IIRC.

• Member Contributer

First thing is to get a battery tender, as I found out that they are cheaper than new batteries.

Second, make sure that your battery isn't getting drained from any of the accessories. I'm 80% sure that's what ended up killing my batteries even though everything is switched and goes through a relay and fusebox. I haven't had issues after I disconnected the accessories, so I'll have to go through the wiring again later on.

I also use a battery tender, all my accessories are run through a Fuzeblock

The Fuzeblock has the built in relay and I run all my accessories (Stebel Nautilus, heated grips, and powerlet plug) through the relay so nothing is on when the ignition is off. And I do have a Battery Tender that I have hooked up to the battery every time I park in my garage. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I went through several ST1300 batteries (YTZ14S), and was only getting 2 years out of those, even those they were Yuasa.

An acquaintance who owns a battery shop informed me that the reason the ST1300 battery is smaller is due to using thinner lead sheets.

It no longer seemed like a Good Idea © and I went back to the larger YTZ12S. I'm two years into this one and it's still going strong.

• Member Contributer

Howdy,

I am trying a Shori for an ST1300. The bike sat for nearly a month last winter, fired right up. No Problem.

I am hoping I got as much battery as I paid for.

Mac

• Member Contributer
Howdy, I am trying a Shori for an ST1300. The bike sat for nearly a month last winter, fired right up. No Problem. I am hoping I got as much battery as I paid for. Mac

+1 I have had a Shoari battery for a 1 year now, so far so good.

• Member Contributer

I also use a battery tender, all my accessories are run through a Fuzeblock

The Fuzeblock has the built in relay and I run all my accessories (Stebel Nautilus, heated grips, and powerlet plug) through the relay so nothing is on when the ignition is off. And I do have a Battery Tender that I have hooked up to the battery every time I park in my garage. :fing02:

I basically have the same thing, and it still was draining. Relay might have been shot. Just a suggestion if part of the problem is your battery dying on you from sitting.

• Member Contributer

Ok so this is the 3rd battery I have to replace on my VFR since I bought it. The last 2 were purchased at Battery+ here in town running about $80 a pop. They last on average about 2 years and then one day they just crap out. I get them checked and a cell goes bad. The first battery was the original that came with the VFR and it was 6 years old when I replaced it.

I am leaning towards the ST1300 Yuasa battery and the best price I have been able to find shipped is $140. Before I commit though I would like to hear your opinions on a quality battery and where to purchase them from.

BTW: Charging system is working fine. I have a digital voltmeter and all the numbers are good in the correct rpm range. I also use a battery tender, all my accessories are run through a Fuzeblock and I have a VFRness installed. Each battery gets checked to confirm it is indeed the battery.

I have a brand new Bike master true gel MG12-GS for $50 shipped

christophersaul@gmail.com

• Member Contributer

I basically have the same thing, and it still was draining. Relay might have been shot. Just a suggestion if part of the problem is your battery dying on you from sitting.

The battery had a bad cell but I will double check the Fuzeblock to be sure. Never hurts and is easy to do. :fing02:

How about one of these?

http://www.shoraipower.com/

I will wait until there is more data on the reliability of these before investing that much money. I am very interested though.

Which ever you get, Always charge it up to 100% before using it.

Always do. :wink:

I have a brand new Bike master true gel MG12-GS for $50 shipped

christophersaul@gmail.com

Sorry...I already picked one up yesterday afternoon or I would have jumped on that deal.

Archived