Carburetor Hydrolocked my engine...

Guest Leozvfr

Something of a mystery how the fuel got into the oil, but i DO NOT BELIEVE that any fuel can possibly flow through the pump, past the check valves and into carbs when the bike is not running--under any circumstances !

Is it possible that what you first thought of as a hydrolock might have been the sign of a failing starter clutch, which you replaced next ???

Cleaning up the float needle seat is best done using a green scotchbrite piece twirelled around with the pointed end of a golf T.

I tried all kinds of things. Including the kill switch. Now i have not checked to see if i have spark, That is my next test. I also do not smell fuel. With all of the trying to start, with choke, with out, open throttle, closed throttle. Twisting the throttle, ect... I would think i would start to smell fuel out of the exhaust??? But no. I powered the fuel pump remotely, Did not help. I need to check for spark.. i JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING.. THE STARTER CLUTCH IS THE PIEVE THAT TELLS THE COILD WHEN TO FIRE. IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET IT ON WRONG?? 180 DEGREES OUT???? HMM.

CAN ANYONE CONFIRM WEATHER I COULD HAVE PUT THE STARTER CLUTCH ON WRONG OR NOT??? HMM.!!! MAYBE!!

I did check fuel flow and petcock. Made sure the fuel pump had fuel and no the fuel will not flow through it without power to it. Last night i did have an Epiphany!!! lol. On the old starter clutch there is a pin that needs to be transfered to the new starter clutch. I missed it.. So i am going back into the engine tonight. I hope that this will make the difference but i do not know what exactly it does. Can anyone help? What does that pin do?? Am i dumping oil pressure and the ignition modual will not let the bike start without the propper oil pressure?? Anyway. I hope that this will fix the bike and i can report that i am on the road. I cant wait to get out on the bike, because its soo beautiful that everyone has to stop me and ask what it is and how much i want for it!! Make you feel good!! lol.

Thanks again guys! I will let you all know what i did wrong! lol.

Leo

I am feeling snake bit... i replaced the starter clutch, and the bike wont start. now that i have been back into it and paying really close attention to the two parts, old and new. There is a difference in the number of notches (for lack of a better word). The new housing does not have as many notches as the old one does. I think its missing 3. And i have no spark at all...

I dont know what to do.. Honda says its the correct part.

Andi dont feel like paying them to find out its not the correct part..

Please help a lost soul ..........

Please clarify what notches you are referring to. Are you referring to the small rotor that is related to the ignition timing sensor which I think is on the right side of the engine, off the end of the crankshaft? If that's what it is, it's not related to the starter clutch, and there should not be any difference between the old and new part.

Beck

95 VFR

post-25309-0-20641700-1343148988.jpgpost-25309-0-20641700-1343148988.jpgOk, here are a couple of pics. I am pretty sure the problem is the part that i installed. Its very frustrating because there seems to be many different variations of this part.

post-25309-0-23328800-1343149011.jpg

post-25309-0-43358900-1343149031.jpg

post-25309-0-80299900-1343149054.jpg

YES!! I got it running. I was the wrong unit. Lesson learned, do not buy parts from Cheapcycleparts.com It had to be a missbox because its the same part number and the bag was not open.

I am happy to report that the bike is running great and my son and i are loving it again! Thanks for all your help guys!

Any suggestions on how to set up the spring preload so i dont get myself in trouble? i know how to do it, just havent messed with it yet and its very soft. I want to stiffen it up a lot, but just adding 2lbs of air to the back tire made horrible results with all the bouncing and locking up.. So im running 18lbs of air in the back tire and am kind of hesitant to make too many more adjustments without some recommendations. I dont want any road rash... Just fun in the sun!!

Thanks again guys!

• 2 weeks later...

I just went through the same starter clutch issue with my '93 3rd gen. I got it through the Honda dealership in town and it was still the wrong starter clutch. Got the correct starter clutch today and guess what!!!!!!!!! one of my carb floats stuck and hydrolocked the engine!!!

Looks like our luck is the same only backwards. Pulling it apart tomorrow evening, draining oil and checking to see which carb is the bastard. Fun fun fun.

Archived